Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C6Z06 vs Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Gotta be the most jealous insecure guy on these boards.
Come back when you have ANY real world experience with ANY car that is ever being discussed.
I just sold my 97 Blue and White GTS for MORE than 40K. How's the resale on that 97 Vette?
And what do you get for the money? The GTS still hangs with most cars on ther road today.
The price thing is becoming tiresome. The GTS in 97 base price was $66k. If you sold it for $41k, thats a 38% decrease in price, and I'm sure yours was not in junk shape.

In 1997 a 6 speed vette sold for $38k roughly. If you buy one now for $16k(gtfo with 10 grand nonsense, those are barely running examples) thats a 58% decrease.

Is it more? Yes absloutely, but its not unexpected when you factor in real world factors such as rarity and a loyal fanbase. Heck to be honest you really are spending 20 grand on a nice, clean low mileage c5, which would bring the number down to 48% decrease. So this 'OMG EPIC RESALE" isnt. It still decreased, albeit not quite as much as a corvette, which only makes sense.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Do you have any valid proof to refute if? Note I never said forged parts are less durable then cast parts, before you try to say I did. Just covering my bases. I listed the facts behind the two different mach 1 cranks, 8lbs less weight is pretty significant. If I told you the auto machs redlined at 5800 instead of 6800 like the manuals, I wonder what you think the reasoning behind it would be? I'm sure you'd assume it was an rpm/durability issue, and you'd be wrong.

I'd also like to point out in the thread on the upcoming 2013 viper, that when you saw the grab handle for the passenger, you said it was a "hidden factory cage"... just saying. Also, when I was generous in saying the new viper would be 660hp if lucky, PDCjonny KNEW that was stupid and that it would be "675-700hp monster."
Page 2 and 3
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-a-threat.html

So many would be wise to take what you two have to say with a grain of salt, even though you two consider yourself self proclaimed experts.

I do not consider myself an expert on the viper, and though I may know a thing or two about vettes, I'm no expert on them either. I like to absorb knowledge on a lot of cars, which helps me stay not foolishly brand loyal, as some in here are. As such, I think Dave68's comments are fairly off base in this thread at least. Equally as such, you thinking you could buy a zr1 in 2010 for $77k is, well, I think most already know.
Self proclaimed experts? No, having motors built by the best in the business yes, and sorry you can find 2010 ZR's in the 70's( in auctions you would be shocked) check around, lots of great deals

Chevy has watered down the whole corvette line, to many models, widebodys put in cars with the base motor etc, pisses me off.
I was lucky enough to get rid of my Z06, before a motor failure, didn't lose much cause I didn't pay much and before the GS and now 427 vert was released, to many damn vettes out there.

IMO Gm should not treat corvette like a camaro, some things should be held sacred

I think the ZR is a great car btw, in know way was I trying to put it down( still don't like the hood) but all a much better car than any Z06, ( ZR motor have forged internals , still not the same materials that early gen vipers had, lots of silica in factory forged cars today
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The current Corvette lineup works well in my opinion. I believe that if any one of them were to go missing, the lineup would suffer. We love the standard C6 because it is the most fun you can have for 50k (or as low as 40k for some 2013 1LT examples). We love the ZR1 because it can drive circles around many, many cars that cost much, much more. We love the Z06 because of its classic 427 engine and race-ready attitude. There is a Corvette for virtually anyone who wants one.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
The price thing is becoming tiresome. The GTS in 97 base price was $66k. If you sold it for $41k, thats a 38% decrease in price, and I'm sure yours was not in junk shape.

In 1997 a 6 speed vette sold for $38k roughly. If you buy one now for $16k(gtfo with 10 grand nonsense, those are barely running examples) thats a 58% decrease.

Is it more? Yes absloutely, but its not unexpected when you factor in real world factors such as rarity and a loyal fanbase. Heck to be honest you really are spending 20 grand on a nice, clean low mileage c5, which would bring the number down to 48% decrease. So this 'OMG EPIC RESALE" isnt. It still decreased, albeit not quite as much as a corvette, which only makes sense.
You and the other guy should take your ball and go home, you are almost as clueless as him.

One can get a nice kept 01z for 18k, 16k for a 97?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvette77
The current Corvette lineup works well in my opinion. I believe that if any one of them were to go missing, the lineup would suffer. We love the standard C6 because it is the most fun you can have for 50k (or as low as 40k for some 2013 1LT examples). We love the ZR1 because it can drive circles around many, many cars that cost much, much more. We love the Z06 because of its classic 427 engine and race-ready attitude. There is a Corvette for virtually anyone who wants one.
If price factor is tiresome why do you and the other old guy keep on bringing it up?

Are you of the female gender? Who is we?, the current lineup waters down the whole line, corvette is no more exclusive from a production standpoint, than mustang and camaro, all mass produced cars.

Base model corvette body is weak, compared to widebody, I see mostly women and old men in those cars.
Fun factor under 50k goes to any v8 mustang, the boss variant (a car I own)

Do you even own a late model corvette?

Last edited by NytmereZ; 10-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Are you of the female gender? Who is we?, the current lineup waters down the whole line, corvette is no more exclusive from a production standpoint, than mustang and camaro, all mass produced cars.

Base model corvette body is weak, compared to widebody, I see mostly women and old men in those cars.
Fun factor under 50k goes to any v8 mustang, the boss variant (a car I own)

Do you even own a late model corvette?
Depends on how "late" you consider my C3

I'm not concerned with how exclusive the Corvette is. I love the Corvette for what it is, and I don't try to make it something it is not. If I wanted something more exclusive, I would save the money and buy something more exclusive. It has never been the car that you would like to see.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Depends on how "late" you consider my C3

I'm not concerned with how exclusive the Corvette is. I love the Corvette for what it is, and I don't try to make it something it is not. If I wanted something more exclusive, I would save the money and buy something more exclusive. It has never been the car that you would like to see.
You answered what I already knew, which is you know nothing about the cars you speak, I've had 1 C4, 3 C5's and 1 C6 you have zero place in this post.

Don't make yourself look like the other fool

I love all chrome bumper C3's, and the 80-82's, chrome bumper C3's have and will stand the test of time, anything 84 and up will not.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

How fast? Very fast.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

You answered what I already knew, which is you know nothing about the cars you speak, I've had 1 C4, 3 C5's and 1 C6 you have zero place in this post.

I love all chrome bumper C3's, and the 80-82's, chrome bumper C3's have and will stand the test of time, anything 84 and up will not.
Fool? No says I. I simply do not understand the point you are trying to make. I fail to see how offering a variety of Corvettes somehow taints or waters down the brand. I would, however, appreciate your elaboration on the matter.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Augustus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! looking at production numbers for Vipers in total from introduction to date hasn't even hit 30 thousand examples. Looking at Z06 production numbers from 2006 to present about the same number of Z06's have been produced for the amount of all Vipers...

This can equate to a rarity and exclusivity I guess for the Viper's resale value being quite stable.

Another buddy has a Pontiac G8 with the 6.0Liter V8 and came with approx 375hp. He equipped it with an underhood supercharger and did it haul a$$... Last month he had to tear down the motor as the pistons were those Hypereutetics and failed on him (Can't even spell the word) lol and rebuild the motor with forged pistons.
I couldn't believe they were from the factory like that, and that's why I asked what the Z06 came with..
Well... I won't be supercharging my Z06 then LOL
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Augustus
WOW! looking at production numbers for Vipers in total from introduction to date hasn't even hit 30 thousand examples. Looking at Z06 production numbers from 2006 to present about the same number of Z06's have been produced for the amount of all Vipers...

This can equate to a rarity and exclusivity I guess for the Viper's resale value being quite stable.

Another buddy has a Pontiac G8 with the 6.0Liter V8 and came with approx 375hp. He equipped it with an underhood supercharger and did it haul a$$... Last month he had to tear down the motor as the pistons were those Hypereutetics and failed on him (Can't even spell the word) lol and rebuild the motor with forged pistons.
I couldn't believe they were from the factory like that, and that's why I asked what the Z06 came with..
Well... I won't be supercharging my Z06 then LOL
There is nothing wrong with a C6 Z06 7.0L engine other than the valve issue that they have, but as long as you know that, and do your home work just figure in the price of a valve job on top of what you end up paying for one and you will be fine.

There have been numerous people with C6 Z06's that have installed superchargers on them and they run like a bat out of hell with out any problems whatsoever.

The 02-04 C5 Z06's have their issues also with valve spring failures.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Well you can have the old C-3's! Including the Mustang stuff I'd rather have the old Chevy or Plymouth Dodge Iron! I had a nice C-3 too! It was great with the babes back then but can't hold The c-5's let alone a C-6's jock strap! 80-82 was straight-up a roach coach! The C-6 Z-06 is the best of the bunch and I've had just as many or more Corvette's than you!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-04-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The C-6 base and the G.S are the best thing to happen for the Z06
There are so many of those for sale compared to amont of Z's they prop up the price for the Z06.
If the miles and condition are there so is the price as they have really
hit bottom on low mileage Z06 cars.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Augustus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GenerationX1 is the valve issue a GM recall? Or is it something each owner has to have done..The Valve springs weak or?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm actually liking the Gen 2 Vipers more and more.

Still the Z06 is what I'd like have in my stable... Along with potentially a Gen 2 GTS.. But I'm not that rich! LOL
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys there all great cars, I would say to anyone that is talking and not driving go drive a viper and then go drive your vette. I did and then sold my c5 and picked up a gen 3 viper. Night and day. My father has an 09 z06 and the car is also a beast. I love them both, but the viper is in my garage.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Augustus
GenerationX1 is the valve issue a GM recall? Or is it something each owner has to have done..The Valve springs weak or?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm actually liking the Gen 2 Vipers more and more.

Still the Z06 is what I'd like have in my stable... Along with potentially a Gen 2 GTS.. But I'm not that rich! LOL
Unfortunately it is not a recall from what I have read, and the same thing goes for the 02-04 C5 Z06 with their valve SPRING failure.

I would not let something like this deter me from purchasing a C6 Z06 or a C5 Z06 with those issues. However, I would highly recommend when purchasing either one to prepare to have the work done.

On the other hand.. I have never owned any Viper or C6 Z06 yet but I'm positive that you can't go wrong with owning either one. They are both awesome cars IMHO even though my choice would be the C6 Z06 but that's just me though. Good luck!!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

General Motors will likely never admit to the value problem with the LS7 engine. That being said, the LS7 will more than likely not return to the C7 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z06 vs Viper GTS

Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

General Motors will likely never admit to the value problem with the LS7 engine. That being said, the LS7 will more than likely not return to the C7 Z06.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Fool? No says I. I simply do not understand the point you are trying to make. I fail to see how offering a variety of Corvettes somehow taints or waters down the brand. I would, however, appreciate your elaboration on the matter.
I was not calling you a fool, there is a fool in this thread(everyone knows who)
Just telling you not to go along with him, cause he will make you look like a fool.

Read the post under yours , about production models, as he is spot on, that will answer your question.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Well you can have the old C-3's! Including the Mustang stuff I'd rather have the old Chevy or Plymouth Dodge Iron! I had a nice C-3 too! It was great with the babes back then but can't hold The c-5's let alone a C-6's jock strap! 80-82 was straight-up a roach coach! The C-6 Z-06 is the best of the bunch and I've had just as many or more Corvette's than you!

You are getting confused as to what I was referring to.
I was talking about cars holding value, not anything else.

What's funny is some envious fool ( who secretly lusts vipers, just can't admit it) brought up value , when this post had nothing to do about value

Any early chrome bumper C3, is much more desirable from a collector standpoint than any late model corvette, especially real 427 big block vettes, and also any C3 LT1 equipped car(the 70 being the gem)
Those are rare vettes , expensive vettes, that will only get more expensive.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 vs Viper GTS