Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C6Z06 vs Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augustus
Witt748...I'd like to see those two races...Are those videos on you tube?
Those two should be videos if you click on them.... I think haha... I'll check when I'm at my computer to make sure, I may have posted them wrong .
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Dave68
MVR,
The OP was asking how fast a 97 Viper is. I didn't see anything that suggested he wanted to know about its ride quality, ergonomics, etc. It was a question about speed, so no, you don't have to own one to know how potentially fast it is, bone stock. Got that?

Well once again a magazine can only tell you so much..... for instance Road and Track tested a 2002 C5Z06 and ran 12.48@114.9mph in the 1/4 mile. My car (also a 2002 C5Z06) ran 12.07@114.1mph when it was completely stock and trapped a best of 116.28mph. I would say (and I doubt I will get anyone to disagree) that nearly a half a second in terms of 1/4 mile is quite a big difference. I have also driven other people's C5Z06's at the track and gotten similar results so its not that my car is some kind of factor freak and faster than the rest.... its reapeatable results with different cars.

That same magazine tested the 2006 C6Z06 and ran a 12.2@120.7 but if you just take a quick glance at the C6 Z06 fast list on this forum you will see guys like Jamie Furman and John (Ranger) that run 10.9-11.0 at 127-128mph.... as a matter of fact the top ten best times are all under 11.48. This is even a much larger margin of difference.

So while magazines may be an OK starting point to get an idea they are nowhere close to the real results from real world drivers with real seat time in the car. Cant argue with fact Dave.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Well once again a magazine can only tell you so much..... for instance Road and Track tested a 2002 C5Z06 and ran 12.48@114.9mph in the 1/4 mile. My car (also a 2002 C5Z06) ran 12.07@114.1mph when it was completely stock and trapped a best of 116.28mph. I would say (and I doubt I will get anyone to disagree) that nearly a half a second in terms of 1/4 mile is quite a big difference. I have also driven other people's C5Z06's at the track and gotten similar results so its not that my car is some kind of factor freak and faster than the rest.... its reapeatable results with different cars.

That same magazine tested the 2006 C6Z06 and ran a 12.2@120.7 but if you just take a quick glance at the C6 Z06 fast list on this forum you will see guys like Jamie Furman and John (Ranger) that run 10.9-11.0 at 127-128mph.... as a matter of fact the top ten best times are all under 11.48. This is even a much larger margin of difference.

So while magazines may be an OK starting point to get an idea they are nowhere close to the real results from real world drivers with real seat time in the car. Cant argue with fact Dave.
Exactly, and the very same thing can be said of the C5 Z06 fast list for the C5Z.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Really? I think you said you were done with this thread 3 times now? I see many guilty parties here, but Dave's point was correct none the less. How fast a gts is on average vs a z06? Yup the internet is littered with FACTS about that scenario. As well as some other nonsense that you must shuffle through.

So are you going to say you're done with this totally off track thread once more and install a roll cage er... passenger grab handle that is, like you said the 2013 viper had? I mean really, if you were unsure, you could have asked PDCJonny first. He had the spec sheet from SRT on the 700hp viper months before it was released.

Oh wait...
another one, i am done responding to certain people,I guess you are added to the list, still holding on to a comment I made months ago, do you really think i dont know what a real cage is? .

so off topic, typical in magazine know it all posers, who have never sat in the cars they speak of.

BTW wait for the dyno numbers on the new SRT, they will be googled when they are anounced, im sure youll be right on that

And no i havent diven a new SRT yet, but am i the loop with real people, not internet posers.

If you noticed the OP thanked people who answered his questions, people who own both cars, not internet posers.

Now im done with you
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus
Witt748 Your info is much appreciated as is NytmereZ and the rest.. My question was answered by you guys and I Thank you! Very informative and better than anything I could pick up at a magazine store. (The Viper GTS is a Fast car.. Fast enough to go head to head with alot of current muscle)

I really don't mind that the post is a little off topic.
It's okay.. It makes for good conversation. LOL
Everyone has an opinion, and it's perfectly fine for one to voice their experiances or feelings about certain cars. (It makes for great debates)

I can see how seat time is crucial in determining who would win over pretty much cars that have approx 500HP..
Sure, one little hesitation to a missed shift and how sheer talent can make a difference when your up against someone.

Witt748...I'd like to see those two races...Are those videos on you tube?
your welcome, next time just pm one of us, as there is always a certain person who likes to go off topic in anything that has to do with something they will never own.

Regardless All gen 2 Vipers were underrated in power, any car that has 500hp is gonna be fast.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 10-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Really? I think you said you were done with this thread 3 times now? I see many guilty parties here, but Dave's point was correct none the less. How fast a gts is on average vs a z06? Yup the internet is littered with FACTS about that scenario. As well as some other nonsense that you must shuffle through.

So are you going to say you're done with this totally off track thread once more and install a roll cage er... passenger grab handle that is, like you said the 2013 viper had? I mean really, if you were unsure, you could have asked PDCJonny first. He had the spec sheet from SRT on the 700hp viper months before it was released.

Oh wait...
Finally, a voice of reason among dreamers.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a viper/C6Z owner, I would like to say this thread is RIDICULOUS! It is entertaining though.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Remember that you coulda had a new ZR1 Corvette for only $76,000. If you never read these posts, you would've never known that!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Are you serious? NOBODY has ever mistaken my 08 Viper for a Corvette. That includes men, women, and kids. They see the car and go ballistic. Even if you don't know cars, the Viper emblems front and rear plus Viper SRT10 on the front fenders are a dead giveaway.
Never been too much of a fan of the looks of the SRT-10 Vipers, but SWEET JESUS your Viper looks AMAZING!! I really want one now...

Quick Reply: C6Z06 vs Viper GTS