Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Butcher-shop repair? Any guesses what the damage was?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Butcher-shop repair? Any guesses what the damage was?

So there are two almost identical repairs on my rear fenders and they both look like total garbage but what I can't figure out is what was being repaired in the first place??? Maybe it bottomed out and tore the fenders?

What would a proper body shop do with this now?

Last edited by Jackie N; 03-09-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Little known "aero" add on. Said to increase top speed by .12 mph, all the fast cars have them.

Yikes, that don't look so good.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Little known "aero" add on. Said to increase top speed by .12 mph, all the fast cars have them.

Yikes, that don't look so good.
Speed Humps! I'm patenting it!

It's more noticeable in certain light and angles, but yes it's terrible looking regardless. Should I put hash mark stripes over it? Lol
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 PM
68ssconv
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would jack it up and take inner wheel well liner out and look at the back side of fender.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68ssconv
I would jack it up and take inner wheel well liner out and look at the back side of fender.
I may do that but I suppose that's secondary at this point. More just a curiosity.

The question now is, would it be cheaper to fix or to just replace with a good set of panels and have them painted to match?

Last edited by Jackie N; 03-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie N
The question now is, would it be cheaper to fix or to just replace with a good set of panels and have them painted to match?
I would have to sand down those humps and see what it looks like under it AFTER I had looked on the backside of the panel so see what it looks like.

Being so close to the edge of the wheel well lip...getting the silver to match and blend out should not be a problem...BUT....that also depends on what happens when I sand these areas to see what is going on under them. And....obviously the quarter panel would be clearcoated. Due to trying to blend the clear would more than likely not work well and the line where the clear would stop would show up.

DUB
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I would have to sand down those humps and see what it looks like under it AFTER I had looked on the backside of the panel so see what it looks like.

Being so close to the edge of the wheel well lip...getting the silver to match and blend out should not be a problem...BUT....that also depends on what happens when I sand these areas to see what is going on under them. And....obviously the quarter panel would be clearcoated. Due to trying to blend the clear would more than likely not work well and the line where the clear would stop would show up.

DUB
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look behind to see what the situation is. I imagine body filler and a whole lot of sanding is the fix. Is that type of work more or less costly than just replacing the panels and painting to match? I can probably replace the panels myself, but I definitely don't have the skills to do filler and sanding.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:25 AM
68ssconv
Instructor

The only problem with replacing the quarters is paint match. You may have to blend on the doors and trunk with base coat and clear it all, way more cost.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 68ssconv
The only problem with replacing the quarters is paint match. You may have to blend on the doors and trunk with base coat and clear it all, way more cost.
'Thinking' that you can get the silver and paint new panels and they are going to perfectly match your car now....guess again. The odds are greatly stacked against you....kind of like a blind squirrel can find a nut every once and a while. Doing something like this may work...every once and a while but not normally. Too many variants in the silver and its age.

DUB
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
'Thinking' that you can get the silver and paint new panels and they are going to perfectly match your car now....guess again. The odds are greatly stacked against you....kind of like a blind squirrel can find a nut every once and a while. Doing something like this may work...every once and a while but not normally. Too many variants in the silver and its age.

DUB
Thanks again guys for your input.

Dub, would you then say that a spot repair is the safest way to proceed? It's easier to blend the spot to the rest of the fender than to blend the whole fender to the rest of the car?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:57 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I would repair it and blend the paint in the quarter
I want to see what was done
Grind it down
My guess is there is a hole there and bubba tried a patch
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Jackie N
Burning Brakes

I don't know how whoever did the repair wasn't completely embarrassed after it was done lol
The following users liked this post:
csherman (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM
68ssconv
Instructor

I’m not defending the person who did the repair, but it was probably good when they did it but over time the repair lifted probably not good adhesion maybe they tried a new product. When it comes to paint and body work there is lots of variables. After I do all my bodywork I try to let the car sit for at least a week to let it get good and dry and even after I prime I let it sit. If it’s a nice hot sunny day roll it outside let it get good and hot so if you do have a problem you will see it before you paint. I used to work with a guy and everything he touched fish eyed it was his cologne.

Last edited by 68ssconv; 03-11-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Still not knowing what the back side of the quarter looks like in the area of this 'repair'....there is no way in knowing what is going on there until you begin to sand or grind it down.

Then this can possibly open up Pandoras box. Never knowing what the previous person has done...and IF they properly prepped the panel prior to applying the silver paint you currently have on the quarter now....because you would be shocked on how many people do not even scuff paint when they go to put paint on top of it....which.can cause for a totally different route of repair IF they did not correctly prep the panel prior to them painting it silver over this 'repair'.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Butcher-shop repair? Any guesses what the damage was?

Quick Reply: Butcher-shop repair? Any guesses what the damage was?