Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New PAC interface ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts
Default New PAC interface ?

I just came across this on PAC's web site, I've never seen it before. Is this something new that's going to replace the RP5-GM11 ? Does anyone have any info or tried one of these ? https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radiop...faces/gm1a-rst
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 PM
chandretti15
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I've seen that also and have been wondering about it also. I am about to replace my stock head unit in my C6 Z06 and am planning on using this interface. Please let us know if anyone has used this new interface.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chandretti15
I've seen that also and have been wondering about it also. I am about to replace my stock head unit in my C6 Z06 and am planning on using this interface. Please let us know if anyone has used this new interface.
Be sure to up date us if you do use it. I'll be real curious to see what you think of it.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

I have to say it does look interesting, it allows for more adjustability than the old RP5-GM11. It allows you to hook a computer to it and use the RadioPRO PC App to do the following:
• Configure User Interface Options such as:
• Factory amplifier settings (Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain,Fader and Balance)
. Chime Volume
. Camera Settings
• Telematics Volume
. Update Product Firmware
• Read Firmware/Hardware Versions

It'll be interesting to hear from someone who tries it, I'm tempted to get one and try it out, but it's hard for me to justify the $280 for it when I already have the RP5-GM11 installed in my Vette

Last edited by madsonp; 03-10-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Madsonp, I haven't seen any reviews on that model yet, so I am holding off making any judgement just yet. Hopefully they have improved on some of the Pac RP5-GM11's shortcoming. Like difficulties programming the steering wheel controls, most notably the phone answer and end buttons, and also hopefully improving the sound of the warning chimes by making it more adjustable and less irritating. Other than that, I don't see much more benefit to C6 owners IMO if you already have the RP5. Having the warning chimes go through the cars speakers could be a nice improvement but most of the other features don't really appeal to me. For instance, adjusting the bass/mid/treble/fader/balance through the interface seems like overkill and unnecessary when I can make those adjustments through the head unit. Also the price of $280 should be a lot less when you start finding it available in more places. If you notice, PAC has the RP5 listed for $230 but you can find it in most places online for under $100. But if I was installing a head unit today, it might be worth a try but only if I can find it for much less than the full retail price listed on Pac's site.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I think this is what you want?
https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-gm61
Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Madsonp, I haven't seen any reviews on that model yet, so I am holding off making any judgement just yet. Hopefully they have improved on some of the Pac RP5-GM11's shortcoming. Like difficulties programming the steering wheel controls, most notably the phone answer and end buttons, and also hopefully improving the sound of the warning chimes by making it more adjustable and less irritating. Other than that, I don't see much more benefit to C6 owners IMO if you already have the RP5. Having the warning chimes go through the cars speakers could be a nice improvement but most of the other features don't really appeal to me. For instance, adjusting the bass/mid/treble/fader/balance through the interface seems like overkill and unnecessary when I can make those adjustments through the head unit. Also the price of $280 should be a lot less when you start finding it available in more places. If you notice, PAC has the RP5 listed for $230 but you can find it in most places online for under $100. But if I was installing a head unit today, it might be worth a try but only if I can find it for much less than the full retail price listed on Pac's site.
Yep, not worth it to me to get it since I already have the RP5 in mine, it'll be interesting to hear what others think of it though. Were you ever able to get the phone answer and end buttons working with your RP5 ? I did the steering wheel swap today on my 05 so I'd have steering wheel controls and messed around with the programing a bit and the little bit I tried and couldn't get them to work with the phone, it ended up starting to get late, so I just reset everything back to their defaults.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
That is for if you're adding an aftermarket amp.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:16 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
That interface comes in real handy for the more modern cars like the C7 where you would want to keep the factory head unit but also have the ability to add aftermarket amps, speakers, and/or DSP. The interface the OP was asking about would be used for an aftermarket head unit in a C6.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
Were you ever able to get the phone answer and end buttons working with your RP5 ?
I got one of them programmed, I forgot if it was answer or end since I never use them. I'm not sure if it was from lack of effort on my part since I spent very little time on it and kept saying I would get it programmed next time I had the radio out. I have since taken the head unit out again to do another upgrade put never bothered to try again. But I have heard others have had difficulties getting both buttons programmed and have called Pac and tried multiple times with no success. Others claim that they got it to work, so it might depend on what firmware your interface came with. I know you can update the firmware but it wasn't worth the effort to me unless I know for sure it would work. I've seen posts where some have said they successfully switched to the RP4 to get the phone answer/end buttons to work and had no issue with the programming. The RP5 is more popular, but if OnStar is not important, then the RP4 may be a better choice for most for that reason.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-11-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:36 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

I got one of them programmed, I forgot if it was answer or end since I never use them. I'm not sure if it was from lack of effort on my part since I spent very little time on it and kept saying I would get it programmed next time I had the radio out. I have since taken the head unit out again to do another upgrade put never bothered to try again. But I have heard others have had difficulties getting both buttons programmed and have called Pac and tried multiple times with no success. Others claim that they got it to work, so it might depend on what firmware your interface came with. I know you can update the firmware but it wasn't worth the effort to me unless I know for sure it would work. I've seen posts where some have said they successfully switched to the RP4 to get the phone answer/end buttons to work and had no issue with the programming. The RP5 is more popular, but if OnStar is not important, then the RP4 may be a better choice for most for that reason.
Interesting, I wonder if they'd work with the new one ?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Well, believe it or not I came across one of these on an internet auction site with a starting bid of $10 and I figure what that heck, so I bid on it and got it for $10. So when it comes in the mail I think I'll pull my RP5-GM11 out and give it a try. The thing I like about the looks GM1A-RST is that it looks more compact so I'm thinking it'll fit in there much better. I'll report back when I get it installed to let everyone know what I think of it.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-14-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
Well, believe it or not I came across one of these on an internet auction site with a starting bid of $10 and I figure what that heck, so I bid on it and got it for $10. So when it comes in the mail I think I'll pull my RP5-GM11 out and give it a try. The thing I like about the looks GM1A-RST is that it looks more compact so I'm thinking it's fit in there much better. I'll report back when I get it installed to let everyone know what I think of it.
What? You got it for $10? That's too funny, but a score also.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

What? You got it for $10? That's too funny, but a score also.
Yep, not bad huh, a brand new $280 interface for $10, well there's $3.65 for shipping also, so actually it was $13.64, still a pretty good score. Here's the proof.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-14-2019 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added photo
The following users liked this post:
C6Whatever (03-30-2021)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:17 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received the interface today, and it was just as they advertised it, brand new and factory sealed packaging. I have a spare harness for my head unit already, so all's I got to do is solder the harnesses together and swap it out with the RP5. It'll be a couple days before I can get to it though, so stay tuned.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Well, I got the new GM1A-RST all soldered up and ready to install, just waiting for it to warm up a bit here, then I'll pull the RP5 out and plug the new one in and try it out. Hopefully I'll get it put in today or tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

I got the GM1A-RST installed and here's my review of the unit.

Pro's
The unit has the chimes through the stock speakers instead of needing the chime module that comes with the RP5-GM11. The exception to this is if you have a standard Bose system (no factory amplifier) or you connect a aftermarket amplifier to the factory speakers. In this case you have to use the chime speaker that comes with the unit.

Con's
The chime speaker that comes with the interface in my opinion is ridiculously large, it's about 2" square and 1" thick.

Pro's

I feel they've improved the steering wheel control programming sequence with multiple LED's and chimes to tell you what mode you're in. There's different options and its well explained. I was able to program the end call button on my steering wheel.

Con's

I still haven't been able to program answer call button on my steering wheel, no matter what I've tried so far, it activates Onstar, but all the other buttons on my steering wheel function correctly.

Con's

I was hoping the interface was going to be smaller than the RP5-GM11, I'm sorry to say though it's narrower than the RP5, it's longer, so it's probably about the same cubic inches size wise as the RP5, so when installing it in the Corvette, it's still like stuffing 10 pounds of crap in a five pound bag.

Pro's

You can connect the unit to a computer and change some of the parameters and up-date the interface using the Radio Pro PC App that you download from PAC.

Con's

So far I haven't been successful, in connecting to the up-date app I downloaded from PAC so I haven't been able to change any of the parameters or perform up-dates. I sent a note to tech support asking about this but I have yet to hear back from them. There maybe a possibility that up-dating the unit might be able to address the phone answer button I mentioned earlier, but I don't know this for sure.

Final notes

So there you have it, in my opinion if you already the RP5, it's not worth it to change it out with this one, if I didn't luck out and get it for $10 bucks like I did I never would have bought it unless my RP5 quit working. If you're buying an interface for the first time or needing to replace your RP5, it might be worth giving a shot. I plan on playing around with it some more and hopefully I'll get it to connect to the app. If I figure out more on it I'll be sure to do a follow-up post.

Get notified of new replies

To New PAC interface ?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM
chandretti15
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback on this unit. I am picking one up today to go with my install into my ‘09 Z06. I am installing an Alpine iLX-W650. I was fortunate enough to get one of the fist 2 units shipped to my local dealer.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chandretti15
Thanks for all the feedback on this unit. I am picking one up today to go with my install into my ‘09 Z06. I am installing an Alpine iLX-W650. I was fortunate enough to get one of the fist 2 units shipped to my local dealer.
Please let me know if you're able to get yours to connect to your computer.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-23-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 PM
chandretti15
Instructor

I got it put together and plugged it in briefly. Radio and chimes work. Rear camera works. That’s all I had time for and I had to get going. Will get back to you on the PC app.

I have an ‘09 Z06 with Bose. It’s a 2LZ with a non nav 6 CD radio. I may have plugged in connector 3 to the non amplified port. But I think it’s supposed be in the amplified port, correct?? I wouldn’t have damaged anything by doing this right?

Quick Reply: New PAC interface ?