Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New PAC interface ?

 
Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 PM
  #21  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,566
Received 572 Likes on 452 Posts
Default

Why do we even need chimes ? ?
Turbo6TA is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:20 AM
  #22  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
Why do we even need chimes ? ?
Personally I find them useful, they tell you many things, in my case whether or not the car is in park, if my headlights have been left on etc.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-24-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correction
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 AM
  #23  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
I got it put together and plugged it in briefly. Radio and chimes work. Rear camera works. Thatís all I had time for and I had to get going. Will get back to you on the PC app.

I have an Ď09 Z06 with Bose. Itís a 2LZ with a non nav 6 CD radio. I may have plugged in connector 3 to the non amplified port. But I think itís supposed be in the amplified port, correct?? I wouldnít have damaged anything by doing this right?
I can't say for sure, I don't know if you have an amplified system or not, if I remember correctly if you do have an amplified system, the amp is under the passenger side floor left of the fuse panel. I wouldn't think you screwed anything up by plugging in to the non-amplified port, but I can't be 100% certain of that. Check and see if you have an amp or not and take it from there.
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
  #24  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 682
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
Why do we even need chimes ? ?
You must be the guy with his blinker on. and on. and on. and on...
DWillys is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM
  #25  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,283
Received 447 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madsonp View Post
I can't say for sure, I don't know if you have an amplified system or not, if I remember correctly if you do have an amplified system, the amp is under the passenger side floor left of the fuse panel. I wouldn't think you screwed anything up by plugging in to the non-amplified port, but I can't be 100% certain of that. Check and see if you have an amp or not and take it from there.
All C6 Corvettes have an amp. That goes for Bose and non-Bose (standard) systems. All C6 Corvettes follow the same directions when using an interface.

Edit: Just to be clear, always use the Bose and/or amplified directions when installing an interface regardless what model C6 or what factory audio system you have in your C6.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-24-2019 at 12:37 PM.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:59 PM
  #26  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
All C6 Corvettes have an amp. That goes for Bose and non-Bose (standard) systems. All C6 Corvettes follow the same directions when using an interface.

Edit: Just to be clear, always use the Bose and/or amplified directions when installing an interface regardless what model C6 or what factory audio system you have in your C6.
Well there you have it.
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:44 PM
  #27  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,566
Received 572 Likes on 452 Posts
Default

What instructions do you use if you are removing a stock non-Bose radio and replacing it with a Kenwood ... but have already installed an aftermarket 5-channel amp (behind the passenger seat) and have installed new door and rear speakers (to include a sub in the rear cubby hole) ?

Channel 1: . . Left Door Speaker
Channel 2: . . Right Door Speaker
Channel 3: . . Left Rear Speaker
Channel 4: . . Right Rear Speaker
Channel 5: . . Single Sub Woofer




.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:27 PM
  #28  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,283
Received 447 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
What instructions do you use if you are removing a stock non-Bose radio and replacing it with a Kenwood ... but have already installed an aftermarket 5-channel amp (behind the passenger seat) and have installed new door and rear speakers (to include a sub in the rear cubby hole) ?

Channel 1: . . Left Door Speaker
Channel 2: . . Right Door Speaker
Channel 3: . . Left Rear Speaker
Channel 4: . . Right Rear Speaker
Channel 5: . . Single Sub Woofer




.
Ron, you just run your RCA cables from the new Kenwood to your amp. No need to connect the speaker wires. Let us know if that answers your question.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM
  #29  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,566
Received 572 Likes on 452 Posts
Default

You know .... I installed all this other audio stuff myself when my 2011 GS was new, but this new Kenwood HU has me spooked a little ... to say the least

I think I will just give the Geek Squad the 100 bucks and let them install it ... if it don't work right when there done, I will just take it back to them until they get it right.

.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 PM
  #30  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,566
Received 572 Likes on 452 Posts
Default

I even installed the supercharger in my garage on my C6 without a hitch ....

But, at this point, I am very much intimidated with this audio system install ...






Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 AM
  #31  
chandretti15
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

The installation went well. I soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections and used Tesa tape to secure everything so it looks factory. I used split loom for my front camera install and drilled a hole in the right side of the firewall to run the front camera wires.I did move my connection to the amplified port. Nothing broke.

I was able to use the RadioPro PC app to connect with the unit. It connected right up no problem. I had version 11 of the firmware which is newer than what is up on PAC's website now.

Overall, It went well. I like the unit. I would recommend it.
chandretti15 is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 AM
  #32  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
The installation went well. I soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections and used Tesa tape to secure everything so it looks factory. I used split loom for my front camera install and drilled a hole in the right side of the firewall to run the front camera wires.I did move my connection to the amplified port. Nothing broke.

I was able to use the RadioPro PC app to connect with the unit. It connected right up no problem. I had version 11 of the firmware which is newer than what is up on PAC's website now.

Overall, It went well. I like the unit. I would recommend it.
Huh, I wonder why I can't get mine to connect to my computer. Do any of the LED's on the interface light up when you connect your interface to the computer ? Did you just plug it in, open the app and it just connected or did you have to do anything else ? Did you try messing with any of the parameters of the interface while you had it connected to your computer ? Glad to hear everything's good on the amplified port working for you.
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM
  #33  
chandretti15
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I don't remember about the LEDs. I just plugged into my computer (Microsoft Surface on Win 10) and open the app and it connected. I was able to read firmware version, change chimes volume. What version of Windows are you on?
chandretti15 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 AM
  #34  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
I don't remember about the LEDs. I just plugged into my computer (Microsoft Surface on Win 10) and open the app and it connected. I was able to read firmware version, change chimes volume. What version of Windows are you on?
I heard back from PAC tech support, and they seem to think it's the cable I use to connect it to the computer. Here is their response,

"Typically the issue with this is the physical cable that you are using for connecting the unit to your computer. Some USB cables are not able to handle the data that is being transmitted from the module".

So I guess I'll get a new cable and try it again.
madsonp is offline  
The following users liked this post:
chandretti15 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 AM
  #35  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Well, PAC tech support was right, it was the cable. I got a new mini usb cable and it connected right up to the PC App. When connected, one of the LED's does flash amber the whole time its connected (which answers the question I had earlier in this thread). I was able to do the software up-date with no problems to version 10 (the original version on the interface was version 8) and make other setting changes. I just left the mini usb cable connected to the interface and ran it to a spot where I could easily access it so I can connect my computer up to it to make further up-dates etc in the future, without having to pull the whole stereo out again, then I just tuck it away out of sight when I'm disconnected from it. I like this ability of just connecting the mini usb cable better than the PAC RP5 where you need to use the PAC Up up-dater module connected to do any up-dates to it, sure it could also be left connected to the RP5 but you'd have to find a place to hide the PAC Up module in a space that's already limited.

Overall I think I'm happier with the GM1A-RST, and would say I'd recommend it over the RP5. I'm just glad I got it so cheap so I'd be able to make this comparison between the two. One of the available settings on the interface which is kind of intriguing is the camera setting, this has many different options can be set to turn the front camera on automatically, one for example would automatically activate the front camera when going between 0 and 3 mph which I think would be really handy when pulling up to a parking spot with parking blocks so you don't get to close, as it is now to activate my front camera I need to press and hold a button on my Pioneer head unit to turn it on. To have it come on automatically I would need to get the PAC VS41 Camera Switch module that also plugs into the GM1A-RST to achieve this. The VS41 really isn't meant to be used with the Corvette but I bet it could be rigged up to where it would work. Here's a link to it. https://pac-audio.com/catalog/video-integration/vs41 What do you guys think ?

Something else I need to look into further is the voice/phone button on my steering wheel controls, I've tried to program it to where it'll answer the phone when receiving a call, but no matter what I do, it activates OnStar when I push it. I did however notice a Note concerning the steering wheel controls for the Corvette that reads "Voice default is OnStar. If OnStar retention is not necessary, unplug the OnStar module to default to Voice" What I'm thinking of doing is unplugging the OnStar module like they suggest (which is no loss because OnStar no longer supports vehicles 2006 and older) and then trying to program the steering wheel controls again to see if it will then allow me to program it to answer a phone call. I'm just not sure which OnStar module they're referring to as far as unplugging, according to the service manual for my 2005 there are two modules, the one on the windshield, and one somewhere in the trunk, and ideas ?

Last edited by madsonp; 03-29-2019 at 12:41 AM.
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:44 AM
  #36  
chandretti15
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I had the same issue with the Voice button. The end call button works well. Another button I was wondering about was the 1-6 button. It does not appear to be mapped to anything. Were you able to program that button?

Originally Posted by madsonp View Post
Well, PAC tech support was right, it was the cable. I got a new mini usb cable and it connected right up to the PC App. When connected, one of the LED's does flash amber the whole time its connected (which answers the question I had earlier in this thread). I was able to do the software up-date with no problems to version 10 (the original version on the interface was version 8) and make other setting changes. I just left the mini usb cable connected to the interface and ran it to a spot where I could easily access it so I can connect my computer up to it to make further up-dates etc in the future, without having to pull the whole stereo out again, then I just tuck it away out of sight when I'm disconnected from it. I like this ability of just connecting the mini usb cable better than the PAC RP5 where you need to use the PAC Up up-dater module connected to do any up-dates to it, sure it could also be left connected to the RP5 but you'd have to find a place to hide the PAC Up module in a space that's already limited.

Overall I think I'm happier with the GM1A-RST, and would say I'd recommend it over the RP5. I'm just glad I got it so cheap so I'd be able to make this comparison between the two. One of the available settings on the interface which is kind of intriguing is the camera setting, this has many different options can be set to turn the front camera on automatically, one for example would automatically activate the front camera when going between 0 and 3 mph which I think would be really handy when pulling up to a parking spot with parking blocks so you don't get to close, as it is now to activate my front camera I need to press and hold a button on my Pioneer head unit to turn it on. To have it come on automatically I would need to get the PAC VS41 Camera Switch module that also plugs into the GM1A-RST to achieve this. The VS41 really isn't meant to be used with the Corvette but I bet it could be rigged up to where it would work. Here's a link to it. https://pac-audio.com/catalog/video-integration/vs41 What do you guys think ?

Something else I need to look into further is the voice/phone button on my steering wheel controls, I've tried to program it to where it'll answer the phone when receiving a call, but no matter what I do, it activates OnStar when I push it. I did however notice a Note concerning the steering wheel controls for the Corvette that reads "Voice default is OnStar. If OnStar retention is not necessary, unplug the OnStar module to default to Voice" What I'm thinking of doing is unplugging the OnStar module like they suggest (which is no loss because OnStar no longer supports vehicles 2006 and older) and then trying to program the steering wheel controls again to see if it will then allow me to program it to answer a phone call. I'm just not sure which OnStar module they're referring to as far as unplugging, according to the service manual for my 2005 there are two modules, the one on the windshield, and one somewhere in the trunk, and ideas ?
chandretti15 is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 AM
  #37  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
I had the same issue with the Voice button. The end call button works well. Another button I was wondering about was the 1-6 button. It does not appear to be mapped to anything. Were you able to program that button?
On my Pioneer the 1-6 button switches between the radio presets on AM/FM and also on the XM Radio presets. Not sure if it's the same for your Alpine though.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-29-2019 at 02:07 AM.
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM
  #38  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

These are the different camera settings I was referring to earlier when using the VS41 in conjunction with the GM1A-RST. I thought I'd give it a try, I came across a VS41 on eBay for $70, so I bought it. Don't you just love playing with this stuff ?


Last edited by madsonp; 03-29-2019 at 01:25 AM.
madsonp is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
  #39  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Getting the VS41 in the mail today, going to mess around with it in the next day or two, I post my findings here when I'm done playing around with it.
madsonp is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
  #40  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 741
Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

I got the VS41 installed today and it works good, I set the camera setting on 0-5 mph. Took it for a little cruse today and I gotta say it's kind of a nice feature having the front camera come on automatically when pulling up to parking blocks to see how close I am, I was concerned however about it coming on every time I pull up to a stop light/sign, but honestly, I didn't really even notice it. I installed the unit using this set of instructions. https://pac-audio.com/index.php?cont...ttachment=1598 I only had to connect the purple/white wire from the VS41 to the purple/white wire from the Pioneer system, and the white wire to the purple/white wire from the GM1A-RST, and plug the RCA cables into their respective connections. Because I only have the two cameras and the VS41 is made for four cameras, I may just remove the additional wires/pins from the connector to help reduce the clutter behind the dash. One other thing it changed, is that I'm no longer able to switch the cameras off and on from the head unit like I used to be able to do, I'm thinking I could address this by using some RCA Y adapters, then I'd have that function back also, I'll have to pick some up though, because I don't have any on hand.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.
madsonp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New PAC interface ?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: