C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Project - Update

Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

It is amazing, I cant wait to hear how it drives!

Well done, Sir!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:08 AM
rab67
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Just beautiful! Great job!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:03 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Huge Milestone Day!!

Thanks Everyone for the kind words! Still having to pinch myself that it came together so quickly at the end and now is off to the tuner. Once it's back, I'll get the door panels in and fix the wiper conflict under the dash. Then it'll be ready for inspection and registration! Here are a few shots of it being loaded today. I love the paint in the sun - first time I've seen it all together out of the garage!

BTW, it's riding a little bit high (approx. 1.5" higher than others I've seen). Could this be caused by the shocks being brand new and needing to settle into ride height? Car sits level and all four corners are the same distance above the tires...

Old 04-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think you'll find that the suspension, especially the rear will settle about that much after about 500 miles on the road. My 66 did after I got it back together. The front will as well....how much? time will tell.

Now all that's left is for me to win the lottery and make you an offer you can't refuse!

Beautiful job, you should be gleaming with pride every time you drive it down the road.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
BTW, it's riding a little bit high (approx. 1.5" higher than others I've seen). Could this be caused by the shocks being brand new and needing to settle into ride height? Car sits level and all four corners are the same distance above the tires...

Shocks don't impact ride height, springs do.
Fantastic job on the car!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

The ride height is a spring issue, not shock...with the ones I have done, when they sat high they never "settled"...I've had to swap the springs out.

Usually the problems I had were associated to a fiberglass mono spring...or the rear of the car...your whole car seems to be elevated all the way around...what front and rear springs did you use?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

As you know I'm a big fan and internet stalker. A far as your suspension, my best guess since I'm not there to see anything is did you tighten all of the a arms with them hanging down when you were building up the chassis. If you did that would cause the car to sit high as its trying to destroy the bushings by twisting them. I wold lossen all suspension and retighten at ride height. Then your bushings are set neutral and not fighting the weight of the car. You may have already done this and I'm just one more internet dummy offering info you already know. If I never meet you and shake your hand for a great job consider it done now. Beautiful.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:39 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Ride height

Gents, I put a "note to self" on my front A arms to specifically NOT tighten the bushing bolts until after the body and engine were on the frame and on the ground so I don't think that's the issue. Also, I bought a new standard rear leaf spring because I didn't want a stiffer ride than stock. I haven't tightened it down much so maybe that's the deal in the rear. As for the front, that's a real puzzler for me. The shocks are new, equivalent replacement Monroe matics and the springs are not new. I just painted the ones that came on the '75 donor frame. They might be something other than stock though...

I'll tighten the rear spring and re-check the front bushing bolts just in case.

Regardless, I'm going to drive it for a while and see if it softens any like Kerrmudgeon suggests. So if you see me on the road, there will be a little more air between the tires and body until I get it figured out - just not ready to be taking sh#t apart for a while!!

I know you get that...

A little before/after - purchased May 2011 to on the road April 2017. As of today I have 1645 hours into it...

Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Wow Rhett, didn't realize you've been working on the labor of love for 6 yrs! But then you had the whole frame to repair as well. I can see why you are anxious to just drive it finally.

Mine has been apart for a little over 2 yrs and I'm not painted yet. Bill
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Timeline

Bill, once I bought the project, it sat in storage for about a year so it's only taken 5 years to complete.
The following users liked this post:
nfran (04-10-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Hey Rhett, just noticed in your last pic here ... should put your door wedges on before something flexes and gets chipped.
The following users liked this post:
kbuhagiar (04-05-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Panic to Euphoria

Well Y'all, yesterday was probably the most incredible swing of emotions I've EVER had!! The short story is that the '67 has been at the performance shop for a couple of weeks to get the final computer tune and dyno run. They called on Monday to say that the car had been on the dyno and ran great but they wanted to road test it before handing it off to me and since it was going to rain that day, I could probably pick it up Tuesday. I called yesterday and got "call cannot be completed as dialed" message, then got a message that their phones had been disconnected. Checked online and their website had been shut down... Now I'm freaking out thinking they've gone belly up and my car would be in the bankruptcy nightmare for years. I called one of the glass companies across from them and found out several of the local phone/internet systems had been down all day - SUPER WHEW!! Got a hold of them around 4pm - car was ready for pick up... Took quite a while for the adrenaline to go down!!

Got to drive it for the first time and put gas in it!!! She hasn't been on the road since the late 70's. The engine ran fabulous and the T5 is a dream!! Was pulling 1800rpms at 70mph. I also really like the seats. Has a slight vibration around 65 but I'm thinking that's because of the angle of the half shafts since it's riding a little high. Also could be alignment, will get that done on Friday.

I'm glad yesterday is over.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Got to drive it for the first time and put gas in it!!! She hasn't been on the road since the late 70's. The engine ran fabulous and the T5 is a dream!! Was pulling 1800rpms at 70mph. I also really like the seats. Has a slight vibration around 65 but I'm thinking that's because of the angle of the half shafts since it's riding a little high. Also could be alignment, will get that done on Friday.
So . . . you like the T5? . . . I figured you might! Congratulations Rhett on a real milestone! . . . your car is absolutely amazing! Well done. Now - drive it!!!

Tom
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Rhett,
Is it the camera angle or the pump handle that appears your gas lid is not on the car? Outstanding job on the car!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful job! The car looks incredible!

Now time to enjoy!

Pat
Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Originally Posted by ricks327
Rhett,
Is it the camera angle or the pump handle that appears your gas lid is not on the car? Outstanding job on the car!
Its just the angle of the dangle Rick. If you look at the previous pic you can see the door is there.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Rhett,
The Corvette turned out beautiful and considering what you started with it is a showcase of your excellent skills.
I just went back to the start of this thread and you have done a fantastic job.
Drive it like you stole it and have lots of fun.
Bruce B

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Project - Update

Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I am not a fan or resto mods but I do like your 67 and I love the seats. If I were (which I am not) ever to do another Vette I would put seats in it like yours. They even look comfortable. Enjoy your 67 you have done enough work on it that it is now time to enjoy it.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:23 PM
hundriver
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vette Work

I have some plans for an airplane my Dad and I built when you get bored!!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

That looks so nice you have to be excited after all the work.
I have read and appreciated your posts from the beginning and was very slow to realize your forum name probably has a lot to do with the Mastercraft I have seen in the background on many photo's.
If I ever get started on my project our Nautique will be in the background as I have always been a Slalom Fiend also, although almost all of my friends are no longer skiing I still get out a few times per summer, hope you do also, now that you will have some free time.
Put a hitch on that cool vette!

Last edited by Westlotorn; 04-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 Project - Update