C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Going back a "few" years. I had an 8 track tape deck on a slide out bracket. Wired it into the car. If the 8 track wasn't in, the car would crank, but not start. Like I said, a few years ago.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM
orlandjoe
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an electric fuel pump with kill switch hidden. If you start it you can only drive a few feet before it stalls.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I take my steering wheel with me. Very few professional thieves carry a spare one

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-18-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I take my steering wheel with me. Very few professional thieves carry a spare one
That must be a sight when you enter a restaurant! "Would you check my steering wheel in the coat room please."

with many of the other members as far as having a good insurance policy.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 02-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

I just used a push to turn on push again to turn off switch under the carpet I could hit with my foot. attach one side of the switch to chassis ground and the other side to the negative side of the coil. when you park the vehicle just ground out the points by closing the circuit and the engine will not fire. you can also use a normally closed solenoid in the fuel line and the vehicle will start but on go a short distance before it run out of fuel in the carb and no one is going to spend time looking to fix this when the vehicle is out on the road
Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use a Ford solenoid that is normally open on my positive battery cable. I have a button that I can push to give the car it's full voltage. The way I did mine it can be a slight deterrent to theft, but the best part of it is that I can leave the car dead when I walk away or want to work on anything that would require me to disconnect the battery.

The down side is if you forget to disconnect the switch when leaving the car the solenoid will kill the battery. To prevent this I added an LED to the dash cluster by removing one of the screws that hold it to the dash. If I see a red light I know I have the power on. I've done the same thing to all my cars. The only thing that is always hot is the radio preset and the clock.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a friend that wired an on/off button under the ash tray. He was driving one day and I pushed the ash tray down into the console without knowing that's all it took to shut the car down.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

A Ford solenoid is not rated for use as a constant duty solenoid. It may work fine for now but could burn out on you when you least need it to. A better solenoid would be a cole hersee 24059 constant duty unit or better yet a cole hersee 24200 latching solenoid that will not use any power if left on. Very popular with the boating and rv crowd.
The following users liked this post:
KC John (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
That's what I do on overnight drives. Makes for sounder sleeping.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Simple matter to clamp a Vise Grip on the steering shaft and drive the car. Common tool, too.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Since I experienced the theft of our car, and obtained the opportunity for a second chance, I have taken a few tactics to avoid future problems.

Unfortunately, as others have already stated, if the pro's want your car, they're going to get it.

But I did take a few measures and one in particular is pretty cool. I really don't want to post it on a public forum, but if anybody is truly interested, I would be willing to share under a PM.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 02-18-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
That must be a sight when you enter a restaurant! "Would you check my steering wheel in the coat room please."

Gary
Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Yes , but good insurance will only get you money, I want to keep my car.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

Gary
At the restaurants which I frequent, it is not a problem
Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 AM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jriver
Haven't gotten my 65 yet but was wondering.... I remember the old days of using a Kill Switch hidden in the interior so the car couldn't be started. I think it was set up to cut power to the coil. Is this the best place to cut power?
After reading about how they can just take your car with tow. how about using TILE placed in your car. Then you can track the location and serve justice.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:47 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
I rely on a good insurance policy and don't worry too much about fancy protective devices. About the only time I leave my car unattended is when we're at a restaurant. For those times, I have one of those wireless driveway alert sensor/transmitter motion detector devices. Once I've parked, I put the sensor/transmitter down in the footwell behind the brake and clutch pedals.

The sensor/transmitter transmits to a small receiver about the size of a package of Tic Tacs that I carry in my pocket. If anyone opens the door to get in the car, the receiver buzzes and vibrates. If it's a rollback thief, it senses his arm movement as he reaches over from the outside to disengage the parking brake and take the car out of gear.

This setup takes up less room than The Club and is just as fast to deploy.

I was wondering, however, since many thieves have to gain access to the engine compartment to defeat the various kill switches and other protective measures, has anyone ever come up with an easy way to make the hood release handle removable? Sure, the thief can use vice grips on the wire but it would present another obstacle.

-- Steve
I have a mechanical hood lock on the 68RS that is difficult to find and a thief will bend the hood release lever before they get the hood open. I also have a kill switch in the car. If they can't get the hood open, they cannot defeat the kill switch.

I am looking for a remote control solenoid with a 1/4" hardened shaft to mound to the driver's side hood latch on R66. A 1/4" hole drilled through the latch body to prevent the lever from moving when the handle is pulled should prevent the hood from being opened.

Still in the design phase. Any help in design would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:53 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It is unlikely that you will stop a professional car thief. The opportunist or joy rider is a different story. I try to protect myself from both.

I have a coil kill switch and plan to add a fuel stop as well. I will use the fuel stop for over night along with the kill switch or if I am out of hearing/sight of the car. If I hear a car cranking for a continued time I will be out looking at my car. If they get past the kill switch and run out of gas within a block they will abandon the car. Anything past this it is up to my full coverage insurance.
One other thing to do is to put a bolt in your garage door track at home. Thieves will target a car and steal it from your home with a simple garage door opening devise.

Get notified of new replies

To Kill switch

Old 05-28-2017, 06:10 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

when I parked over night I took my gun out of the holster and put the holster on the dash for all to see. I wanted them to know the owner was armed and could be near by.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

One other thing to do is to put a bolt in your garage door track at home. Thieves will target a car and steal it from your home with a simple garage door opening devise.[/QUOTE]

never leave the key or fob in the car when parked in your garage.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ZIPP IT
After reading about how they can just take your car with tow. how about using TILE placed in your car. Then you can track the location and serve justice.
As I've said a dozen times, pros will have an inexpensive Lojack, cell phone, handheld, mobile jammer; anyone can get them for about $350.

The holster on the dash only tells a determined thief that if they want the car it might be a lethal confrontation so they should come loaded for bear... I'd rather they take my heavily insured car... And before anybody says I'm anti-gun I've had a CCW in states all along the East coast longer than some here have been alive...

Carry good insurance, watch where you leave your car...it can't get much simpler...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-28-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Kill switch