Sponsored by:

Interior restoration 69

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Interior restoration 69

How do most people handle restoring the seats and door panels? Do they buy the covers and parts from ZIp and have them installed or just drop the seats on at a shop? Same for door panels, just buy them and instal or have a shop handle it?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

If your existing plastic is in good shape I would have an expert dye your parts. The fit is pretty bad on aftermarket parts and the color match from manufacture to manufacture can vary significantly. Buy quality parts, it will save labor and frustration!

Good luck, Kevin
Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by grumman41
If your existing plastic is in good shape I would have an expert dye your parts. The fit is pretty bad on aftermarket parts and the color match from manufacture to manufacture can vary significantly. Buy quality parts, it will save labor and frustration!

Good luck, Kevin
My interior plastic is perfect, dash pads are also fine. Only seats, door panels and carpet are needed.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
How do most people handle restoring the seats and door panels? Do they buy the covers and parts from ZIp and have them installed or just drop the seats on at a shop? Same for door panels, just buy them and instal or have a shop handle it?
Who can say what "most people" do? I did my own. It's your choice on how you want to proceed.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Who can say what "most people" do? I did my own. It's your choice on how you want to proceed.

I realize its my choice but Im looking for peoples opinions
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mft,
I'm not sure what you mean by dropping the seats at a shop.
A shop certainly isn't going to be able to replicate the seat covers at a reasonable cost so folks buy the covers from one of the few seat cover manufacturers and have a shop install them.
Many folks install the covers themselves. Not too easy but certainly do-able. The seat bottoms are easy, the tops of the seat back take some finesse.
There are just a few suppliers of door panels. The appearance of them is o.k. while getting them to fit snuggly can take some work. The panels backing is now made from abs which often warp.
Many folks install the carpet. It too takes some work trimming and fitting each piece. With some effort most people report and show good results.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mft,
I'm not sure what you mean by dropping the seats at a shop.
A shop certainly isn't going to be able to replicate the seat covers at a reasonable cost so folks buy the covers from one of the few seat cover manufacturers and have a shop install them.
Many folks install the covers themselves. Not too easy but certainly do-able. The seat bottoms are easy, the tops of the seat back take some finesse.
There are just a few suppliers of door panels. The appearance of them is o.k. while getting them to fit snuggly can take some work. The panels backing is now made from abs which often warp.
Many folks install the carpet. It too takes some work trimming and fitting each piece. With some effort most people report and show good results.
Regards,
Alan
That makes sense, I didnt know if shops could cover the seats to match or not. Good to know that I definitly need to buy the covers. Is there any place more reasonably priced then others with good quality?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 AM
jward486
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion (what I did on my 73) is to buy new door panels and install them yourself and have the seats professionally done. Just seems to me that the seats would be a pain. If you have the patience and tools then I say go for it as it would be a rewarding experience to do them yourself. Door panels (from Corvette America) went in easily for me. I shipped my seats to Corvette Central to have them done. Very pleased with how they turned out.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by jward486
My opinion (what I did on my 73) is to buy new door panels and install them yourself and have the seats professionally done. Just seems to me that the seats would be a pain. If you have the patience and tools then I say go for it as it would be a rewarding experience to do them yourself. Door panels (from Corvette America) went in easily for me. I shipped my seats to Corvette Central to have them done. Very pleased with how they turned out.
Wow, just the foam and leather covers is over a $1000 to buy. YIKES
Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM
jward486
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, just the foam and leather covers is over a $1000 to buy. YIKES
Definitely not cheap! I had to buy the foam and covers from Corvette Central and I believe I ended up paying around $300 for the installation service. I paid around $70 to ship my seats and they had a promotion for free shipping to send them back to me.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Everything Vette is more expensive, my entire 69 fastback interior was like 700..

Get notified of new replies

To Interior restoration 69

Quick Reply: Interior restoration 69