Sponsored by:

Interior Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Interior Cleaning

I noticed that I keep getting lite mold/mildew on the interior areas. I keep cleaning it but it coming back. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? It drives me nuts.

Last edited by ATIS; 06-30-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A lot of it depends on how you are storing the car. If you are covering it..and it is getting moist/damp in the car...that is part of the problem....especially if it is outside with cover on it. And being inside a garage that does not 'breathe' well can do it also.

Trying to get rid of this is going to be hard...because what you need to use can effect things.

DO NOT let this get away from you...MOLD is the plague...once it gets started and migrates...it requires a total tear down to get it out ...just like in houses. AND..I have some customers whose cars I will not work on ...because when they bring them by for me to look at due to it having something that needs to be repaired....and I stick my head inside the cabin..I can smell it right away and back out if it REALLY FAST.

DUB
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ATIS
I noticed that I keep getting lite mold/mildew on the interior areas. I keep cleaning it but it coming back. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? It drives me nuts.
*****..my DAD lived in New Bern for years and the humidity there particularly in summer is high..When I visited him and helped with yard work or we worked in the bilge of one of his boats..I had to wrap a towel around my head..
First thing you must do is do your best to eradicate the mold spores and mildew.with a good thorough cleaning..Plenty of good household cleaners and sprays that will help with that..
The true issue is keeping the car in a good ambient where relative humidity is under 70% with temps under 80F and good air circulation..
There are gadgets DRIZ Z Air etc that help lower moistuure in the air as well as simple silica desicants (that need to be changed)Desicant work best in a closed environment..like a good gun safe..Not sure a well closed Corvette is tight enuf..even with great weatherstripping-seals.
Check with the local marine/marina people and pick their brains on what they have tried-used successfully..
IF your car is garaged..a good properly sized dehumidifier can reduce-control air moisture..but ya have to clean the tar out of everything interior properly and well to do your best to kill-eradicate the microscopic mold-mildew spores..Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 PM
ATIS
Racer

Its garage kept but not climate controlled...but the shop is insulated so its cooler in the shop then outside during the summer. I dont keep the cover on her and leave the tops off year round. I will go back and clean everything again. Its mostly the steering wheel and the pillars behind the seats.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Its garage kept but not climate controlled...but the shop is insulated so its cooler in the shop then outside during the summer. I dont keep the cover on her and leave the tops off year round. I will go back and clean everything again. Its mostly the steering wheel and the pillars behind the seats.
Sounds like a good cleaning of seats, upholstery, vinyl, carpeting will do a lot to abate the problem..Mold &MILDEW..need just a few things to proliferate..Moisture, some air, and a surface they can cling to-grow on..

Once they get a foothold..only a scorched earth serious cleaning with the right stuff will keep them from coming back given the right combination of moisture, etc.. How often do you take the car out and run 'er around..MOLDS etc can propagate insidiously in the duct work on older cars...stay with it and fire up the heater early summer and blower on high and then clean..Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM
ATIS
Racer

Dang Jim, now i have to fix the heater core! That was the winter project. Lol. Ok, time to give her a good cleaning.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Wipe down with cloth and diluted bleach/water. Wear rubber gloves and with fresh air flowing. If you have mold in 'soft' items (foam in seats, carpet, etc) you have a bigger problem. If the leather on the steering wheel is moldy, you may have to replace the wheel. Using adequate amount of bleach to soak into the leather will likely ruin the leather wrapping.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-30-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:27 PM
ATIS
Racer

I will do the bleach to the hard plastic. The seats get dirty but not with mildew. The big issue is probably all the pollin in the air.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:59 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

I will do the bleach to the hard plastic. The seats get dirty but not with mildew. The big issue is probably all the pollin in the air.
TRY the MR CLEAN 'MAGIC ERASERS on all interior vinyl..Dampened just a tad with Simple Green they work wonders on grubby vinyl-plastic on the interior like rear pillars, interior of t tops..
Pollen is a nuisance but other than spores from mods in the air and such they just add to fine dust and probably feed molds and mildews.
I only use Lexol on my leather seats and steering wheel cover..Keeps things clean and helps the life of good leather..Bleach has it's place in cleaning disinfecting..but Never for leather..Jim
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
ATIS (07-02-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Do you keep a small fan going in the garage....? That might help.

Brian
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

White vinegar, full strength sprayed on the area..( carpets for example) and left on for an hour or so..will kill the stuff well.Then you wash-shampoo and dry..Remember that your A/C creates some moisture /condensation when you run it..so make sure the system is functioning well..Dumb as it sounds in hot weather..not a bad idea to run the heater fan defroster for a few minutes before you shut the car off after running the A/C
Most ststems also have a dryer in them which needs attention occasionally..Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wee
Do you keep a small fan going in the garage....? That might help.

Brian
YES..Quality air movement (NOT0 blowing stuff around helps reduce humidity..
ANYONE who has ever beed into a clean room in mfg plants or in an ICU UNDERSTANDS the importance of reducing-abating airborne bad stuff..

An Oyster white leather interior such as I have in my '78 SA is unique for a car's interior..Not everyone wants that color..
IT Shows dirt, dust, stains, grime like a bloody nose shows up blatantly on a white linen dress shirt in the front pew of Church..

GOOD thing is IF YOU CAN SEE the problems you can halt the origin and clean things up promptly..before it ruins something..Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 PM
ATIS
Racer

No a/c so good there. I like the fan idea, never thought about that except when I am working on here. All the other suggestions sound good. I will give them a try.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Any ideas on how to get rid of it?...
Dry out the car. Mold and mildew require moisture.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Mike is correct. But, when you get the car dry, the mold/mildew will only be dormant...but still alive. If possible, you need to get rid of it. Otherwise, whenever humidity is present, it will revive and continue being a headache.

I'm not aware of any 'cleaner' that will eradicate mold/mildew. Chlorinated bleach will kill it; oxygenated bleach [ie, Oxy-Clean, etc.] will kill it, but with a lot more time. Chlorinated bleach will not do damage to hard parts; oxygenated bleach may be safer for 'soft' parts but will need to stay in the part much longer to be effective.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
ATIS
Racer

I am a mold inspector so i know the causes, just wanted to know what everyone uses that wouldnt mess up the interior. Of course i do homes so its all moisture control there as bleach opens up the wood fibers and makes it worse.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:07 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

I am a mold inspector so i know the causes, just wanted to know what everyone uses that wouldnt mess up the interior. Of course i do homes so its all moisture control there as bleach opens up the wood fibers and makes it worse.
As I indicated earlier..bleach Doesn't have much place for Corvette interiors....You are dealing with leather/vinyl, carpet/pad, seat foam..
A good cleaning using least stringent methods is first..then drying, deeper more stringent methods..Have to clean and remove the mold-mildew..and then address the root cause best you can.Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Cleaning

Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 PM
ATIS
Racer

I used the simple green/magic eraser method on the pillars and seat belt covers. Cleaned up nicely. Will take look at them tomorrow to.see if they stayed clean (amd make sure I got them completely clean)
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you are doing a good job of tackling the matter..My Dad lived in River Bend..Neuse River and plenty of water nearby..He's gone now but I miss the years together and enjoyed that part of N.C..Jim
Old 07-02-2016, 12:52 AM
ATIS
Racer

I inspect homes out there (along with most of eastern nc). Sorry to hear he has passed. Thats a nice area with lots of water access.

I have a small mildew/mold issue only on the steering wheel and the pillars so its not totally out of control but dont want to what for it to get bad.

Quick Reply: Interior Cleaning