Sponsored by:

72 Birdcage Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Matt,
Since you've decided to proceed I suggest you purchase the 1972 Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM), and the 1972 Chassis Service Manual
for your car.
They both contain a great deal of useful information.
Good Luck as you get going!
Regards,
Alan

Here are the 71 version of each of them.

And the kind of information found in the AIM that I think you'll find useful and need to know.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 72Shark_VAL
I am determined. I love my car, obsessed with it honestly. im always thinking of the things I want to do to it, all the little subtle custom touches. I know it won't be done quickly. I don't care if it's 2 or 3 years before it's back on the road. I know you all are trying to help & I thank you for that, but I can't imagine not having this car. I feel like I'd regret it as an older man if I don't do it..& yes I do understand the amount of tools needed to do the job. I do not mind buying them at all.i am not looking at this as a investment vs potential profit project. It ultimately will be for me with no intention to sell. I am not married & don't have any kids so nothing eats up my time other than my day job. I have no problem spending my time on this. I'm between a rock & a hard place with this one, but I feel like I should trust my gut. It's not about the money to me. I hope you guys are here to help with my future questions, I'm sure I'll have an abundance of them. Lol
-Matt
Well , You certainly sound determined and that it what it is going to take to finish a project of this size so I certainly wish you luck . I do admire your determination . Just follow it through !
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure where you live or if this will help but there is a 70 birdcage for sale in Windsor PA that showed up on one of my random CL searches.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...9NErToxgVo-zTw

Good Luck with your build.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Matt,

When you plan on getting started...if you want to talk with me..I would be more than glad to suggest a philosophy I use when I begin to take on a severe restoration/repair. The only reason I am offering this. Is becasue when a person looks at a huge project..they can easily get overwhelmed and feel the weight of the world is on their shoulders. I know this all to well..which is why I follow a routine that keeps me fresh and not get worn down.

Just an offer to help you if needed.

DUB
Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks so much for the support guys! Wasn't expecting to get this many replies to be honest. Means a lot & gives me more confidence to take this on. & yes Alan I agree on the Factory ASM being full of info. I've pretty much bought every c3 restoration/repair book that eckler's has to offer as well as the 72 ASM & chassis restoration guide. It's a lot to learn but I can't keep my head out of those books haha. it might be another month or two before I get started 100% because I still have to get the building wired for electricity & gather up some more tools. I'll definitely be posting as I go along when I do get started.
Matt
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

I started my restoration when I was 27... included frame and front birdcage replacement. It took a few years but it got done. Don't be afraid to walk away from it for a few months if you start getting frustrated with it. I did that a couple of times... once for a move/ house renovation and once because I was so sick of body work.

It was a big job... not sure I would tackle it again in the same way(complete tear down versus shorter repair projects). I would do some things differently but all in all I learned a lot from it about the car and myself.

I have since done it again, although not to the same level, with a Jeep CJ.

Last edited by MikeC; 10-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Matt,
In addition to what Mike said about taking a break I found that a good way to KEEP YOUR ENTHUSIASM UP when things are going badly or slowly is to have small projects that need to be done and CAN BE COMPLETED IN ONE DAY… like stripping and repainting some small brackets or parts or even cleaning up some fasteners that will need to be used. again.
Even spending a day cleaning up and reorganizing your work area is a way to feel some satisfaction and make starting again the next day more pleasant.
Seeing even a bit of progress helps in keeping you going on the big and difficult jobs.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Matt....I'm going to send you a PM with a used Vette parts guy out of Buford Ga. So far everything I have bought from him has been as described and priced well. Most items I have bought from his ebay store.

If you ever get over towards the Cartersville area and want to drop by house feel free to hit me up.

Brian

Quick Reply: 72 Birdcage Repair Question