Sponsored by:

1975 Body Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:07 AM
slapjack9
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1975 Body Work

I bought a 1975 not too long ago and have been working on the car mechanically. It's now gotten to the point that I'm ready to start on the body. The car is a salvage title, I got it very cheap and it's my first Vette. I wanted to do this with my Dad while we are both young, and I know I'll never sell the car so the title didn't bother me. The car needs an entirely new doghouse (hood, front bumper, front clip which are all in bad shape) and a rear bumper because it is incorrect. The bodywork guy my Dad knows no longer works fiberglass. Can anyone recommend a fiberglass guy/gal in the Midwest? I'd prefer Indiana/Ohio/Illinois/Michigan/Kentucky. Although anywhere within reason is acceptable, I'm in central Indiana. Thank you ahead of time!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

There is a LOT of labor involved to get that right. Would easily surpass the value of the car. My recommendation is for you two to tackle it yourself.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

slapjack9, welcome to the forum.

If you have no problem doing the mechanical work, I don't think you would have to much trouble tackling the body work on your own. Of course there is a learning curve and you would have to do a lot of research, but you probably have the skills needed. If you have the money, and you will probably need quite a bit of it, you can certainly hire the work done. The other issue is time, doing it on your own will certainly take longer than having a shop do it, so there is that to consider also.

If not, there are a number of write ups on the web that can help with your project. One of the best I have found is by Tim Cote. Here is his link, I have referred to it several times for my project.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/

There are also several build threads going on right now on the site, and some that have been completed, but can still be referenced. Many have already done what you need to do and so there is a lot of info on it, including pics. Here is a link to my project. Mine had an engine fire and needed a lot of body work done on the front end. It may be of help if you decide to tackle this on your own.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ect-build.html

You can also visit the Paint/Body forum on this site that has tons of info. You can ask specific questions on what you need and you will get some great answers from many qualified members. Some that work specifically on Corvettes, so very qualified. Here is the link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/

I'm not saying you should do this on your own, only you know your skill level and whether you think you can do this or not. I would do some reading on here and on Tim's restoration page and see if this is something you can do. It would be a lot cheaper and you could put the money saved towards other needs on the project.

Sorry I can't help with a qualified shop, but if you decide to try this on your own, at least you know you are not alone and have a very knowledgeable source right here. Good luck on your project.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:05 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
There is a LOT of labor involved to get that right. Would easily surpass the value of the car. My recommendation is for you two to tackle it yourself.
I've gotten a few quotes already, but I don't have any reliable people backing them up. The quotes I received have not surpassed the value of the car.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:08 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
slapjack9, welcome to the forum.

If you have no problem doing the mechanical work, I don't think you would have to much trouble tackling the body work on your own. Of course there is a learning curve and you would have to do a lot of research, but you probably have the skills needed. If you have the money, and you will probably need quite a bit of it, you can certainly hire the work done. The other issue is time, doing it on your own will certainly take longer than having a shop do it, so there is that to consider also.

If not, there are a number of write ups on the web that can help with your project. One of the best I have found is by Tim Cote. Here is his link, I have referred to it several times for my project.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/

There are also several build threads going on right now on the site, and some that have been completed, but can still be referenced. Many have already done what you need to do and so there is a lot of info on it, including pics. Here is a link to my project. Mine had an engine fire and needed a lot of body work done on the front end. It may be of help if you decide to tackle this on your own.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ect-build.html

You can also visit the Paint/Body forum on this site that has tons of info. You can ask specific questions on what you need and you will get some great answers from many qualified members. Some that work specifically on Corvettes, so very qualified. Here is the link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/

I'm not saying you should do this on your own, only you know your skill level and whether you think you can do this or not. I would do some reading on here and on Tim's restoration page and see if this is something you can do. It would be a lot cheaper and you could put the money saved towards other needs on the project.

Sorry I can't help with a qualified shop, but if you decide to try this on your own, at least you know you are not alone and have a very knowledgeable source right here. Good luck on your project.
I really appreciate all the material, I'll take a look at it and consider it further! My only concern was my Dad's dad owned a Chevy dealership in the era of this car and they also did body work. My dad worked in the body shop most of his adolescence and although he never did bodywork (stuck to mechanical) he knows first hand how difficult it is to get the lines right.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Hey Slapjack, is your car in worse shape than my project? Here's my thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...off-resto.html. Anything can be fixed actually it's pretty fun. The more people who tell me I'm wasting my time the more determined I become. I like that you guys are gonna save that car.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Originally Posted by jr73
Hey Slapjack, is your car in worse shape than my project? Here's my thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...off-resto.html. Anything can be fixed actually it's pretty fun. The more people who tell me I'm wasting my time the more determined I become. I like that you guys are gonna save that car.
No sir! Yours makes mine look brand new. When I get home from college this weekend I'll tear the cardboard and tape off the holes the previous owner put on it and post some pictures. It's pretty much perfect from the door hinges back (aside from the incorrect rear bumper) and she drives like a dream.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that this matters...but I will wait to see your photos....because you might be amazed on what you can do yourself once you are instructed and given advice on how to do it.

People who do not do bodywork may look at something and feel that it is total loss...while those of us who do it for a living may not even raise an eyebrow.

So if it repairing a panel or removing it and replacing it withe new panel....it is not a problem..and all it takes is time and patience....and obviously some money.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Body Work

Quick Reply: 1975 Body Work