Sponsored by:

Birdcage Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Birdcage Repairs

Hi, I am getting ready to repair rust on my 73s birdcage. My question is what panels do I need to remove to replace the rocker channels. I think i'll have to remove the panel where the door striker is. What about the panel that covers the rocker channel ? I already removed the front clip and am about to remove the firewall.

And does anyone have pics or advice for removing the panels so when I go to put them back on they are lined up right ?

Thanks,

in this picture you can see rust that I will also be repairing.

The following 2 users liked this post by ss400rscamaro:
amandico82 (02-09-2021), Pegan2261 (09-12-2021)

Popular Reply

01-20-2021, 02:51 PM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Passenger Side Done.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

This is what I have learned from reading threads on here and just googling this type of repair . Plus I'm in the middle of doing what your about to start.

Some of these will sound strange at first but they will help later on .

First thing is to measure just how thick the glue that's been used is , that will help put it back together if you know just how close the parts ended up originally. Save you from trying to force it closer than it ever was .

The firewall has lots of rivet holes in it , as long as your careful removing it , they will guide it back perfectly .

sounds like the rust is right across the front lower screen frame as well , is the no2 mount area ok ?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

again , not sure just how far you have got with the area in the red square but here's how mine looked after I sandblasted it in my backyard so I could see whats going on .

you can see the red areas where rust has started in between the plates and is swelling them apart .
The two layers , blue is the end of the main sill panel that runs right along the door way.

It would be a massive job to remove the whole door striker glass cover panel , I have seen guys (on here) just cut the lower section away to gain access . BTW I cut a section from the B pillar (right behind the red mark ) and welded in a new piece ,before replacing the bracket , without touching the glass around it , just go slow and do small welds and let it cool .
The following users liked this post:
Pegan2261 (09-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Watching this with great interest. Mine is worse on the 69 project....
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I did this job on one. One of the toughest jobs on a Corvette imo. Here's a pic with the repaired rocker channel almost ready to go back in. You can get an idea from the pics what fiberglass I removed for access.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 69L46vert; 10-12-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added 2nd Pic
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Ok i'll do the repairs without removing any unnecessary panels. i will take pictures as I go through this process and update this thread with them. For now here are a few more pics of my birdcage.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

yes , that sill panel has had it , but what's left of the A and B pillars? Forget about the windscreen surround for a minute

Need to see the body mount areas and above .Your last pic ,would like to see how it is above that end and where the no2 mounts go from the inside of car

I know Big City corvettes will sell you some nice condition cut outs from good cages , it just depends on how much you need .

Or alternately a parts car for its cage .
Old 10-12-2017, 04:42 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69L46vert
I did this job on one. One of the toughest jobs on a Corvette imo. Here's a pic with the repaired rocker channel almost ready to go back in. You can get an idea from the pics what fiberglass I removed for access.
looks like you didn't have to worry about rust around your windscreen ?

mine was worse at the front but the B pillar end was not so bad as yours . Certainly a great feeling to get it done and all painted up so it wont go bad again.

Last edited by bazza77; 10-12-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
looks like you didn't have to worry about rust around your windscreen ?

mine was worse at the front but the B pillar end was not so bad as yours . Certainly a great feeling to get it done and all painted up so it wont go bad again.
Hi Bazza, Yes, I did replace the windshield frame and glass but no pics of it. It was the first thing I did. My pass side rocker was fine so only had to do the driver's side.
Buying used rocker cut outs from another car is a good idea. I've seen them on eBay. I almost went that route. Caladonia made new replacements at one time but last I knew they ceased producing them. I was never a fan of the rocker channel "insert reinforcements" but others have used them with good results.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69L46vert
Hi Bazza, Yes, I did replace the windshield frame and glass but no pics of it. It was the first thing I did. My pass side rocker was fine so only had to do the driver's side.
Buying used rocker cut outs from another car is a good idea. I've seen them on eBay. I almost went that route. Caladonia made new replacements at one time but last I knew they ceased producing them. I was never a fan of the rocker channel "insert reinforcements" but others have used them with good results.
I almost bought some good condition replacement sill pieces from the USA but the shipping costs would have made them almost the same price I paid for a local 74 parts car that had a good cage .Mine were too far gone for the inserts as well. Also getting them out of the parts car was great practice for the real job

You certainly got out of that cheaply , only one side needed doing !

Last edited by bazza77; 10-13-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:10 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

ok i got the firewall off. Here is my birdcage. I have a ton of work to do.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

what's the plan of attack ?

do you have any pieces to replace those areas yet ?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

I havent bought anything yet. But we plan on starting at the bottom and working up. we'll start with the drivers side, thats the worst side. We'll make a structure inside the car that bolts to the birdcage and the doors so we can line up the door gaps before anything gets welded in place. Then buy as much new pieces as I can and anything i cant we'll make.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Hmmm , that's a lot of welding and patching to do .

Have you thought about just putting another cage in ? your only about 18 or so rivets away from dropping the sill panels and all forward off right now .

That would leave the bottom of your B pillar in, and you could cut as 69L46vert did and join the new cage on........and that's it .

Just my idea and how I would do it , I have done one cage repair but I don't claim to be an expert for sure .

Those that do this for a living can tell me what's wrong with my idea for sure
Old 04-25-2018, 03:19 PM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Default Bonding Glue

In the near future I will be reinstalling the drivers side B Pillar that I repaired. What bonding adhesive should I use ?

Primoz (09-07-2022)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Default Rocker Channel

Ok guys so I repaired my lock pillar and i am in the process of test fitting my driver side rocker channel. I have spent a ton of time researching and I wanted to confirm with all of you if the bolt holes for the #2 and #3 inserts are suppose to line up exactly on the new rocker channel bolt holes ? If so I am thinking about welding those to the channel first before I weld it all in the car.

Also, I braced my birdcage before i started any repairs but after taking some measurements i suspect my birdcage is out of alignment. The car was in pretty bad shape to begin with. So if possible could someone take some measurements of the distance between the drivers side A and B pillar. I would be extremely grateful as I am not sure how else to make sure my door gaps do not end up completely off. Thank you all for your input in advance !

Primoz (09-07-2022)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:48 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

In the past week I repaired my lower A pillar and replaced the rust in the back panel of my birdcage. Im getting ready to weld in the lock pillar and drop the body down on the frame to line up the drivers side door gap and burn in the rocker channel for good !

Earlier in the week I replaced my #4 body mounts and supports and the cage nuts.

Get notified of new replies

To Birdcage Repairs

Old 08-29-2018, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Where are you planning on needing to use the bonding adhesive you asked about. on your B pillar???

DUB
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
ss400rscamaro
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Where are you planning on needing to use the bonding adhesive you asked about. on your B pillar???

DUB
In the red boxs i marked, where the lock pillar meets the fiberglass stricker panel. I got some 3M 8115 that i was going to use. If that is the correct stuff can I use that to bond my rocker panel back in place with the floor and surrounding fiberglass pieces ? Thanks

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Lord Melbury
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ss400rscamaro
In the past week I repaired my lower A pillar and replaced the rust in the back panel of my birdcage. Im getting ready to weld in the lock pillar and drop the body down on the frame to line up the drivers side door gap and burn in the rocker channel for good !

Earlier in the week I replaced my #4 body mounts and supports and the cage nuts.

What tool are you using for riveting?

Håkan

Quick Reply: Birdcage Repairs