1979 project possibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 04:16 PM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
Very nice, I see a lot of my 79 L82 car with 17,000 miles in it. The one component I can't find is the original distributor shield, it was missing when I bought it.
They pop up on eBay from time to time. There was one ('78-'81) out there very recently. May still be out there.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:03 PM
MarkW68
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Highway
They pop up on eBay from time to time. There was one ('78-'81) out there very recently. May still be out there.
Does that shield serve a purpose? Radio interference maybe?
Old 04-27-2024, 02:34 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't think the sheild deals with radio interference on our cars. I definitely did on earlier cars, but I will say, while i'm not sure what purpose it serves, I'm sure it serves some purpose, or GM wouldn't have put it there. It's long gone on my 79 L82, but I have a full aftermarket sound system in mine, and I don't have any radio interference. Also, as a side note, and you may have found this in your research, keep that original air cleaner! Mine came with an aftermarket open element air cleaner, and I've since found that the original one is actually better because it draws cooler air from the front of the engine compartment.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:47 PM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MarkW68
Does that shield serve a purpose? Radio interference maybe?
Given that a radio first became standard equipment in 1979, the distributor shield was installed at the factory on virtually all cars that model year to reduce radio interference emanating from spark plug wires of that era. It was due to the lack of ground provided by the fiberglass body, I believe. In any case, my understanding is plug wires became much better insulated some years ago and so the distributor shielding may no longer serve that purpose. However, I’ve never driven without the shielding on any of the C3 cars I’ve owned in order to test that theory.

Nevertheless, if you look closely at the pics of Interpon’s '79 ignition shield in post #97 you will notice the shield also serves to nicely anchor at two points the hood release cross-cable, keeping it in place. I appreciate that on my own ’79. The shielding also looks much better to my eye than the top of the distributor cap. But what do I know? Some folks like seeing their plug wires.

My recommendation is for you to find a distributor shield and install it on your '79. Also, I think it would be a great idea to complete the factory dual ducting cold air inlet to your air cleaner assembly like you see executed in the engine bays of both Interpon (post #97) and Jon (post #100). I have both in my own car.

Now I'll stop as I’ve spewed enough half-baked opinions for one day.

--------------------------
1979 L82 M21 FE7
Classic White / Doeskin
Old 04-27-2024, 06:09 PM
MarkW68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C3Highway
My recommendation is for you to find a distributor shield and install it on your '79. Also, I think it would be a great idea to complete the factory dual ducting cold air inlet to your air cleaner assembly like you see executed in the engine bays of both Interpon (post #97) and Jon (post #100). I have both in my own car.

Now I'll stop as I’ve spewed enough half-baked opinions for one day.

--------------------------
1979 L82 M21 FE7
Classic White / Doeskin
I appreciate all opinions. I'm still learning something new every time I work on it.

I was looking at those ducts on some corvette used parts site, but I didn't pull the trigger. I was still working on getting it running at that time.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:41 PM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate all opinions. I'm still learning something new every time I work on it.

I was looking at those ducts on some corvette used parts site, but I didn't pull the trigger. I was still working on getting it running at that time.
My latest suggestions are by no means urgent. Everything in due time. You're actually doing very well. It took me seven years to get to my C3 A/C to have it overhauled and running properly. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 PM
MarkW68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
Very nice, I see a lot of my 79 L82 car with 17,000 miles in it. The one component I can't find is the original distributor shield, it was missing when I bought it.

I am going to replace the water pump, because it looked like it would be easier to replace the lower house if the pump is out. The existing pump is natural grey, I think. Should I paint it blue with this opportunity?
Old 05-02-2024, 12:43 PM
Mark.uli
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 61 Posts

Mark, what is this used C3 parts site you speak of!?
Old 05-02-2024, 12:57 PM
MarkW68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark.uli
Mark, what is this used C3 parts site you speak of!?
https://www.motorcityvettes.com/engi...-ducts-related

I think this was it.
The following users liked this post:
Mark.uli (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:31 PM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to replace the water pump, because it looked like it would be easier to replace the lower house if the pump is out. The existing pump is natural grey, I think. Should I paint it blue with this opportunity?
It's a good idea to replace the water pump and radiator hoses as rubber deteriorates with age. The engines and water pumps were sprayed Corporate Blue at the factory from '77E thru '81, along with many other external engine components. Aluminum intake manifolds remained gray.

For what it's worth, when my harmonic balancer, timing chain and cover and water pump were replaced, they and much of the engine were painted the original color.
The following users liked this post:
MarkW68 (05-02-2024)

Quick Reply: 1979 project possibility