C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 LSx Conversion Directory

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year of Corvette: 1976

Engine: 5.3LM4(aluminum block), LS6 intake, C5 Batwing Oil Pan

Engine Mounts: Carshop Inc adapters w/Energy Suspension mounts

Engine Accessories: Fbody PS,Fbody Alt. bracket w/Trailblazer Altenator, Hot Rod Air Sanden AC Comp

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: Fbody w/modified heater fittings and CSR waterneck

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Drive by Wire

Transmission: Upgraded LS1 T56

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Modified Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 Crossmember

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Stainless Steel Long Tube Hooker Super Comps. 1-3/4" w/3" Collectors

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Speartech Modified 5.3LM4 Harness w/LS6 injector pigtails

Radiatior/Fan: Griffin 32" with LS1 fbody Fans and 2 TCI Push or Pull fans for AC Condensor

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank:Walbro inline w/C5 regulator and 16Gallon Fuel cell with sump.

Steering System: Homemade Grand Am Rack

Misc info: I have put 8500 miles on the car since May 2nd, 2009

Contact info:

Last edited by catchme76; 09-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Hotrod406
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year of Corvette: 1971

Engine: 2001 6.0 LQ4

Engine Mounts: Custom, stock 4sp trans in stock location.

Engine Accessories: Custom, based on truck parts

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: Modified truck

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Manual

Transmission: Stock 4sp

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Stock

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Custom

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified stock

Radiatior/Fan: Griffin rad, custom fan shroud with 2 11" fans. -20 lines

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Aeromotive A1000 pump -08 feed -06 return. Stock tank

Steering System: Stock power

Misc info:

Contact info:Tim Coeling t_coel at yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM
corvettelars
2nd Gear

Year of Corvette: 1972

Engine:LS7 2007

Engine Mounts: custom

Engine Accessories: stock Z06 starter, generator, power pump, dry sump tank from Peterson racing

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: stock Z06

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: drive by wire

Transmission: TKO 600 , 5 speed with Lakewood bell housing, stock Z06 clutch

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket):

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers:Custom, fit LS7 / C3

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Custom made

Radiatior/Fan: Aluminium radiator with 15" el. fan

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Aeromotive pump, std new tank and lines

Steering System: Consept one power steering

Misc info: works wery well

Contact info:
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Year of Corvette:1973

Engine:2004 ls1 ls6 intake 5.3 pan modified

Engine Mounts:vetteworks

Engine Accessories:fbody alt.

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket:stock c5

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire:manual

Transmission:700r4

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket):stock with modified plate

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers:hooker sidepipes modified to ls1 flanges,custom augger style mufflers inside

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket):99 fbody modified by self

Radiatior/Fan:dual flexalites

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank:walbro 255 intank

Steering System:manual

Misc info:
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Year of Corvette: 1977 - My original car I bought new in '77

Engine: 2004 C5 LS 1 - F body pan

Engine Mounts: Vette Works

Engine Accessories: Superpowers AC mount (nice work & nice guy)

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: Stock

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Drive by Wire

Transmission: T56 / reworked w/ steel forks, factory Hurst Shifter from 1999 Camaro.

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Custom made by SRIII MotorSports - New Lenox, IL -- Tell Mike I sent you -

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Stock with chambered exhaust.

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified by those nice people in Indiana, and then by my friend Rich (the lizard) to the needs of the C3.

Radiatior/Fan: Stock C5 radiator and fans, modified to fit the stock core support, Stock upper hose from 2004 C5, lower picked off the rack at the local NAPA - Thanks guys !

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Walbro in line. This after much discussion (thanks to forum members.) I'm planning on a Bonneville run and decided external would be easier to fix. I'm using a new 1973 tank which has the bottom feed, I ran the tank outlet to the pump, to a C5 regulator, then to the stock line up front. Bypass from the regulator to the return line on the tank. Works GREAT !

Steering System: Stock - modified lines

Misc info: As per usual, too long in progress, losing parts and buying them again, but it's getting there. Running great now after a few glitches. Avatar shows it at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Contact info: Frank@itpphoto.com Cell; 630-430-2487

Special THANKS to forum members 70 LS1 & Superpowers for the help, couldn't be where I am now without you !

Last edited by myoriginal77; 03-13-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: updated
Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
delbert62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year of Corvette: 1976

Engine:2000 5.3 truck, LS6 intake, C5 Batwing Oil Pan

Engine Mounts: I built my own, Blueprint on LS1Tech.com(1" farther set back)
Engine Accessories: 2000 Truck, slightly modified, no A/C

Waterpump: Stock truck, relocated heater hoses straight down, drilled and tapped top for steam tube, Made my own straight thermostat housing

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire:Manual throttle, custom "bellcrank" linkage to accomodate TV cable for trans

Transmission: TH350, Shift Kit, 2800 stall convertor

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): stock

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: 2002 corvette short tube headers, 2 1/2 outlet to sideipes

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified stock,1998 PCM

Radiatior/Fan: Stock radiator, 1 16" fan

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank:Walbro inline w/C5 regulator
Steering System:Stock power steering, Custom pressure hose

Misc info:This was a budget swap. By using the stock trans, Ebay, and my loal salvage yards, I was able to do the entire swap(including sidepipes and headers) for just over $1200. It took about 3 months to gather up parts, and three weeks to change the motor.

Contact info:delbert62@mchsi.com
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
DaveC3R
Cruising

Year of Corvette: 1979

Engine: 1998 LS1 from Camaro SS

Engine Mounts: Edelbrock #6701

Engine Accessories: I used a new Camaro balancer, and waterpump, a KWIK Performance bracket system to mount an alternator and power steering pump. AC will be added later using KWIK brackets. Alternator was on my old Gen I Chevy engine, a PowerMaster 140amp one that I did not want to part with... instead of getting a late model alternator I found that the PowerMaster would mount by simply elongating the uppper mounting hole a bit... works like a champ. Power steering pump was not so easy, I used a Detroit Speed pump (bought it with reservoir, duh... returned and got remote reservoir pump) with a -10 suction port and a Detroit Speed hard line for pressure with -6 male port... a remote Jegs aluminium reservoir... and a cool fined Darale power steering cooler.

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: Stock water pump modified by plugging both heater hose inlet and outlet and drilling and tapping two new ports... both have -8 male ports now and I used braided steel heater hoses. Also installed CSR straight aluminium water neck with SKO 160 degree thermostat.

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Carburetor!! Demon 650 mechanical secondaries... Edelbrock Intake. Runs great, two pedal pumps to start it, idles like a fuel injected car, got 22 mpg on recent 800 mile road trip. And lots of power.

Transmission: Tremec TKO 5 speed, conversion kit from Kiesler with hydraulic throw out. Love my Tremec.

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Stock with bolt on bracket from Kiesler.

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Hooker shorty headers, block huggers. Summit #HOK-2313HKR
Hi Guys...
I had a request to give some more info on the headers I used for the 79 GrandSport...
Manufacturer... Hooker Headers
Part Number... HOK-2313HKR
Supplier/Cost... SummitRacing.com, current price $389.95
Features... Beautiful ceramic coating looks like chrome but much more durable, thick flanges to avoid warpage and leaks, 1 5/8" tubes, 2 1/2" collectors, comes with hardware, gaskets, and reducers
Fit and Finish... I was putting in an LS1 that did not have a stock starter and I applied the high torque mini starter from Summit (#SUM-820320) that can be 'clocked' to various positions and it fits nicely with the headers.
My Rating on the part... ***** (5 stars)... these things look great, fit easily without modification on this swap, and the exhaust sounds great. I've been running around since June 1 with a dual exhaust, but I just added an X pipe this weekend and it sounds better and runs smoother. Bye the way, the mufflers are Supertrapp, which look ok, but are totally tunable from pretty quiet to wide open!
I'll add pics later.

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): MSD 6010 controller... no complicated harness or wiring. Pluged in the cam sensor, the crank sensor, the coils, a map sensor, and power, ground, and tach... that was it. It's computer programable for whatever timing curve you want, but comes with 'pills' that are present... plugged one in and haven't screwed with it since. The controller has a built in rev limiter, a low level rev limiter for when I'm using linelock, and it can take up to 10 degrees of timing out for my nitrous bottle. Nitrous is not hooked up yet, but this will make living with it much easier.

Radiatior/Fan: 4 core Jegs rad, Flex-a-lite dual electric fans... never gets over 180 degrees.

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Stock fuel tank, Edelbrock electric fuel pump, braided steel pressure and return lines, Aeromotive regulator with bypass.

Steering System: Steeroids rack and pinion.

Misc info: Paint scheme lifted from 96 GrandSport with lots of clear. Intro Mullholand 17" wheels. Vette Brakes and Products suspension system with front and rear transverse fiberglass springs and fabricated a arms and trailing arms. Baer 6 piston calipers on big crossdrilled rotors.

Contact info: davec3r@gmail.com

Last edited by DaveC3R; 07-25-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Request from Superpowers, more info on headers
Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 AM
86atc250r
Advanced

Year of Corvette: 1979

Engine: 2002 Firebird LS1 (LS6 block), mild cam (224/228 @ .050 113+1 LSA .595), stock heads, etc. Speed Density tune (removed MAF)

Engine Mounts: Generic - Vetteworks style (not 1" back)

Engine Accessories: F-body minus A/C - will add that back at a later time

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket: Stock F-body, modified heater hose locations -- modified stock water inlet (CSR has engineering problems IMHO)

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Manual throttle body

Transmission: 4L60E w/3200 stall Vigilante converter

Rear End Gear: 3.55

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Stock w/Vettworks adapter for trans. Lowered crossmember 1/2" for header/collector to floorboard clearance - no noticeable driveline vibes

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Kook's stainless steel long tube F-body - 1 3/4 primaries stepped to 1 7/8 -- 3.5" collectors.

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified stock - relocated computer to left side of car.

Radiatior/Fan: LT1 F-body dual electrics wired for two speed operation

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: In tank pump using 82 sender & late model truck pump, stock lines, C5 regulator/filter.

Steering System: Stock - will be building my own rack setup when time allows

Misc info: Modified original speedo, is now electric instead of cable driven, 2.5" all tig welded, mandrel bent, stainless exhaust, x-pipe, & mufflers. Wideband O2 sensor integrated into the harness. LED taillights (LED bulbs, OEM lenses), HID low beam headlights, HP Tuners for dialing things in.

Contact info: PM me

Last edited by 86atc250r; 01-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
jraddington
Heel & Toe

Default Ls1!!!

Year of Corvette: 1974 Coupe

Engine: LS1 from a 2002 Camaro SS

Engine Mounts: Vetteworks

Engine Accessories: Stock F-body PS, ALT. Street & Performance AC bracket, belt, compressor.

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket:Stock with drilled/tapped 90* heater hose barbs.

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Manual throttle, Lokar cable kit

Transmission: 4L60E from the 2002 Camaro SS

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Modified 74 vette removable crossmember.

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: Patriot ceramic coated block hugger headers.

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified factory harness.

Radiatior/Fan: Aluminum Dewitts radiator, dual electric fans controlled by factory computer.

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Factory tank, electric pump and stainless AN hose

Steering System: Stock camaro pump ( with cooler removed ) to stock 74 vette system. I am after a different setup with AN lines, any help???

Misc info: Tuned with HP Tuners, all emissions equipment removed, Aluminum driveshaft from a Firehawk ( shortened ), Vintage Air AC system, Custom Autosound stereo.

Contact info: jraddington@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Year of Corvette:1970

Engine:2001 LS1, LS6 intake, F-body pan, TR224/224 cam

Engine Mounts: Custom designed and fabricated by me.

Engine Accessories: F-body alternator. No PS.

Waterpump: F-body

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Manual

Transmission: F-body T56 with Pro 5.0 shifter modified to fit original console

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Stock crossmember with custom bracket (by me)

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers:F-body manifolds mated to 2.5" MidAmerica chambered exhaust system

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): 2001 Fbody modified

Radiatior/Fan: Summit 31x19 rad w/dual flexalites

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: Walbro 255 external pump, 1999+ Corvette filter/regularor, stock 1970 fuel tank

Steering System: Manual

Misc info: Featured in AutoTuning Swait magazine November 2008. See sig for my site.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

World Castings now has a Motown LS block. From what I understand it is a conventional Gen 1 "style" block that allows the use of Gen 1 components but you can put LS heads on it.

I am thinking about doing one with LS7 heads and a carb You can use a 6.125 inch rod with 4.125 in. bore for a monster that will make an easy 700HP. I don't know all the details but I am sure some will want to go this route
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
World Castings now has a Motown LS block. From what I understand it is a conventional Gen 1 "style" block that allows the use of Gen 1 components but you can put LS heads on it.

I am thinking about doing one with LS7 heads and a carb You can use a 6.125 inch rod with 4.125 in. bore for a monster that will make an easy 700HP. I don't know all the details but I am sure some will want to go this route

Yep, I just fail to see the cost benefit. You can't reuse your headers or intake. And you don't have the benefit of the 6 bolt mains. You can reuse your crank and rods but you need LS pistons. I guess one of the biggest assets is that you can reuse your accessories.

The Motown block is $2100 the LS7 block is $2500

the jury is still out for me.

here is some more info
http://www.theengineshop.com/product...pdf_file-6.pdf

Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
patbull
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default side pipe

hi am restoring this 1970 coupe and got the LS1, i would like to know
if it possible to put it side pipe

i check whit melross thy make the headers for the swap
i ask them thy told me thy can leav it whit no conector
then built it up from there

is there a better way more simple way to do that

i got this on one tread
modified SS Hooker sidepipes with LS1 flanges

any info would be very nice

thanks for your time

pat
Old 10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

I have a set in development right now. Coming soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

several of s have modified hooker side pipes for SBC to fit the LS flange.. mine was a real re-routing mess on the driver's side to make room for the original Z-bar setup.. worked, came out nice, but don't know if i'd go through all that again! would either just go with a shorty header and single pipe out each side, more like the original side pipe cars, or maybe switch over to hydraulic t.o. bearing to not have to re-route so much header pipe around the z-bar. probably option 1 though, because i didn't want to have to reinforce the firewall for a hydraulic clutch..

james, will your headers in development work w/z-bar?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Josh

Mikey, I am actually using Big Block headers for the development. The big block have equal distance primary c-c like the LS motors. All I should need to do is get an LS flange and then squeeze the primaries in a tad. They should be ready very soon, and then ready for market soon after that.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
patbull
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

maybe you already know but you can check it out for the z bar
http://www.speedhound.com/LSX%20swap/C3Zbar.html

check whit keisler for the hydraulic clutch

http://www.keislerauto.com/vmchk/gm/...-products.html

superpowers how long it will take you to put it on the market

i ave 1968,1970,2-1972 that i ave to put side pipe but tow of them got
sriiimotorsport frame

the 1968 convt am putting the LS9 in it

thank for your time keep use informe
pat

Get notified of new replies

To C3 LSx Conversion Directory

Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Trey at Speedhound is a good friend.

I make hydraulic clutch masters.

Should be in a few months for release.

And holy crap, nice stable!!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
patbull
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

i ave my company that restore corvette
my website should be up in about 2 week

i own the 1970 the others are pepole that want them done during the winter

i just ave one frame done by mike at sriii it very nice it all c6 suspention whit 9 IRS
wiilwood 14 inch disk

if you want i can cary your stuff on my web site
all be the fisrt in canada to ave those side pipe

am triying to put the pic of the frame inside my post but i cant any tip will be nice

thanks
pat
Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
patbull
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

click on view my puplic profile

you can see the frame

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 LSx Conversion Directory