C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 LSx Conversion Directory

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by patbull
click on view my puplic profile

you can see the frame
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

patbull, the speedhound plate for z-bar doesn't work with the LS2 block. I tried. I ended up making my own, but later found my design made very similar by street and performance.. their website is lousy though, so i can't find the part # - haven't seen it since the one time i happened upon it by accident.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Treay81
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the Beginning

I am only just starting to look into this conversion, I decided on it about a week ago, sold my current engine off and have begun browsing websites prowling for a engine (i figure thats a great place to start)

Does anyone have preference over engines?... I will be completing this on a budget but still want the best equipment I can get for my $$$

I was going to settle for a nice little LS1 5.7L (or Gen III ) but have been told they had bad piston slap and the faults were designed out of them when they released the LS2 6.0L. Does anyone here feel the extra money is worth the LS2?...

Appreciate your time, I would imagine i will be back here at every new stage of my conversion! haha.

This Thread is great help for a simpleton such as myself in this area!! haha

Last edited by Treay81; 12-08-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
86atc250r
Advanced

Depends on your budget - buy as new an engine as you can afford or are willing to spend. An LS2 is generally more desirable than an LS1 because they're newer, they start out with more power, and have been refined - but you're generally talking a lot more money too, in-proportionately so in most cases vs the benefit.

LS1's can have piston slap, but not all of them do. The ones that do generally don't have any other problems with it. Mine makes a little (very little) noise when it's cold but goes away quickly as it warms up - sounds like one piston. It has 70k miles and runs absolutely great, doesn't leak, doesn't smoke, runs like a new engine. These engines are known to commonly go 200k easily.

Some of the early LS1's had some oiling issues under extreme conditions, but I think actual problems that arise from this are rare. I believe you can also get updated parts that are not that big a deal to install if it concerns you. If you are going to be routinely spinning the engine up really tight, invest in some aftermarket rod bolts.

It's recommended to get the newest LS1 you can. I got a 2002 for my setup, it has the improved LS6 block, the latest PCM, an LS6 intake, etc. - look carefully at 01 & 02's though if you want the LS6 block, from what I understand not all of them have it. The 98 PCM is undesirable if I remember right.

All in all the LS1 is a well designed engine that doesn't really have any significant inherent problems.

If you're looking for bang for the buck & don't necessarily care about having an aluminum block, pick up a six liter truck engine as a base. Throw an LS6 intake on it, or spend a bit more money and pick up a set of L92 heads, intake, tb, and injector package for less than a set of aftermarket LS1 heads - throw in a reasonable cam and you're approaching 500hp fairly inexpensively & reliably...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
86atc250r
Advanced

Originally Posted by patbull
what kind of gaz pump your are using whit your LS

is it better whit the pump inside the tank or outside

thanks
pat
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571083706-post28.html
Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Treay81
Heel & Toe

I'm hoping to do it mostly myself and on a bit of a budget. But at the same time I don't want to have any probs down the track from inferior fit and finish etc...

at this point I think I'm going to shell out on some "Speedhound" plates and mounts. then I'll start searching the junk Yards for a engine and see what I come up with. But I definatley want the 4L60E or 65E to go behind it.

thanks for the info on the LS1. It will certainly be kept in mind when considering my spend on an engine.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
86atc250r
Advanced

Originally Posted by Treay81
I'm hoping to do it mostly myself and on a bit of a budget. But at the same time I don't want to have any probs down the track from inferior fit and finish etc...

at this point I think I'm going to shell out on some "Speedhound" plates and mounts. then I'll start searching the junk Yards for a engine and see what I come up with. But I definatley want the 4L60E or 65E to go behind it.

thanks for the info on the LS1. It will certainly be kept in mind when considering my spend on an engine.

Cheers
Don't rule out the "standard" non-setback adapters like the ones from Vetteworks. In my install (also 4L60E), I tried both and the standard ones fit better everywhere than the 1" setbacks did.

I think the primary advantage to the speedhound adapters is that the stock z-bar setup can be used if you run an original manual tranny with the LS & the speedhound/melrose conversion headers.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense or anything, but the whole point of this thread was to be a directory. It was started so people could just scroll through and see build specs of individuals who have completed LS swaps. Can we please keep discussions out of this thread? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default MODERATOR, please delete Q&A posts....

Agreed, MODERATOR delete the Q&A posts please. The posters got their answers. Let's keep this thread simple and useful.

Originally Posted by catchme76
No offense or anything, but the whole point of this thread was to be a directory. It was started so people could just scroll through and see build specs of individuals who have completed LS swaps. Can we please keep discussions out of this thread? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also agree. There is a thread for questions and it is listed in the original post.

thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1982 ls1 4l60e

Year of Corvette: 1982

Engine: LS1 from 2001 Z28 F-Body

Engine Mounts:Ebay Iowa dude. "Standard fit" motor mount with lower bolt shared with block mount adapter. Moves transmission approx 1 inch further fwd

Engine Accessories:F-body No AC for now

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket:Superpowers modded

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire:Cable Driven Lokar

Transmission: 4L60E from 2001 Z28 F-body. Modded tailshaft for manual speedo output cable and VSS signal for PCM.

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): Stock 82 fits 700R4. For 4L60E, elongation of mount holes as trans sits 1 inch further towards front of car. Needed 82s driveshaft lengthened (retubed) 1 inch longer from 25.0 inch ctr-ctr to 26.0 inch ctr-ctr

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers:OBX C5 SS shorty headers (dinged to fit) to mate to OEM exhaust headpipes. Very close to driver side Rack&Pinion mount bracket. MSD Multi-Angle spark plug wires required to clear headers. Koolsox type boots to cover plug wires

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): Modified by me stock with 18inch extension of PCM wires to mount behind pass front fenderwell

Radiatior/Fan:Lincoln Mark8 with 4 core big Block rad with PCM high fan control 200on 190off w/ 180 thermostat

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank:EP381 in-tank pump on 82 sending unit with C5 regulator mounted in place of the 82 fuel filter. Single aeromotive braided line from reg to intake

Steering System: VPB Rack Attack with hydroboost lines also coming from power steering pump

Misc info:MAF set-up with Wait4Me tuned PCM, 3.07 gears with 27 inch tires. Runs beautiful.

Contact info: PM me on the forum works

Last edited by MN-Brent; 05-06-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default OK, include ME :)

Year of Corvette: 1982 Convertible

Engine: LS1/4L60E from 2000 Trans Am

Engine Mounts: Researching.......

Engine Accessories: Fbody -AC for later

Waterpump: Stock/Aftermarket:

Manual Throttle/Drive by Wire: Cable planned

Transmission: 4L60E

Crossmember (stock/modified/aftermarket): stock modified

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers: LSX w/sidepipes

Wiring Harness (modified stock/aftermarket): researching based on CPU placement

Radiatior/Fan: dual 11" pullers on stock radiator

Fuel Pump/Lines/tank: 85 pump mod/C5 cartridge

Steering System: Steeroids planned

Misc info: more planning to come: watching MN-brent

Contact info: PM me
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 73 Corvette /LS1

Year of Corvette: 1973 Roadster

Engine:2002 out of WS6 Ram Air Trams Am

Engine mounts: Ebay

Engine accessories:Fbody /Sanden compressor with Performance Automotive bracket

Waterpump: stock/aftermarket: stock

Manual throttle/Drive by wire: Manual

Transmisson: 4L60

Crossmember:stock/modified/aftermarket: modified stock

Exhaust: Z06 manifolds , Shorty headers in the near future

Wiring harnessmodified stock/aftermarket: Speartech harness and Ecm reprograming

Radiator/Fansewitts with Spal dual fans

Fuel pump/lines/tank: Walburo pump/braided lines/stock modified by Rock
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
73ls1
Pro

Default Screwed up here is the rest of it.

Steering system:stock

Misc Info: VBP performance suspension,18" wheels and tires.

Contact info: PM me
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Can I suggest one more category ??????

Rear Gear ratio:
Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 73ls1
Year of Corvette: 1973 Roadster

Engine:2002 out of WS6 Ram Air Trams Am

Engine mounts: Ebay

Engine accessories:Fbody /Sanden compressor with Performance Automotive bracket

Waterpump: stock/aftermarket: stock

Manual throttle/Drive by wire: Manual

Transmisson: 4L60

Crossmember:stock/modified/aftermarket: modified stock

Exhaust: Z06 manifolds , Shorty headers in the near future

Wiring harnessmodified stock/aftermarket: Speartech harness and Ecm reprograming

Radiator/Fansewitts with Spal dual fans

Fuel pump/lines/tank: Walburo pump/braided lines/stock modified by Rock
Not happy with the speartech harness?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
73ls1
Pro

Default Speartech harness

I did not put frowning face on the harnness info.I have nothing but good things to say about the harness and about John at Speartech.He will take care of you and will talk to you anytime.I must of hit the frowning face by mistake.Charlie

Get notified of new replies

To C3 LSx Conversion Directory

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
MTC_75vette
Instructor

Default coil packs on valve covers???

I installed my ls1 in my 75 c3 and I am unable to fit my coil pack on my passenger side valve cover because the engine sits back and my heater box is in the way. i am wondering what others out there have done, I would really like to keep the heater box in the car and use the stock coil set up.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 AM
DaveC3R
Cruising

Default Coil Pack interference

Hey MTC...
I deleted my heaterbox and installed a Vintage Air system under the dash, saved a lot of engine room real estate. But if your stuff is working well, I understand why you wouldn't want to go this route. There are a number of manufacturers that make coil relocation kits.

Here are a couple...
- http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=273
- http://www.currentperformance.com/Ac...iring_acc.html

Here is some DIY instructions...
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...your-self.html

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
I installed my ls1 in my 75 c3 and I am unable to fit my coil pack on my passenger side valve cover because the engine sits back and my heater box is in the way. i am wondering what others out there have done, I would really like to keep the heater box in the car and use the stock coil set up.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
MTC_75vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveC3R
Hey MTC...
I deleted my heaterbox and installed a Vintage Air system under the dash, saved a lot of engine room real estate. But if your stuff is working well, I understand why you wouldn't want to go this route. There are a number of manufacturers that make coil relocation kits.

Here are a couple...
- http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=273
- http://www.currentperformance.com/Ac...iring_acc.html

Here is some DIY instructions...
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...your-self.html

Thanks a lot I will check into it.

Quick Reply: C3 LSx Conversion Directory