C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elle88 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What flywheel did you all use when you built that engine? I went to the lightweight GM 'wheel and that was the end of the run-on. Take that 20 or so pounds off the crank, even with the idle speed where it is, turn the key off and it's done.
The drawback, if you can call it that, is that it takes a little more finesse to get it rolling. But with the BB, even way before the cam comes alive, still has enough torque, and the light flywheel lets the RPM come up a little faster.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim
i have an oem flywheel.
You are right about the run on but i prefer to do the job of turning off the engine with the gear in and release the clutch ,instead than the issues of low speed operation with a lightweight flywheel with its inherent low inertia. Btw too much $$$ spent on this engine so I keep the oem flywheel now even if I know I should go for a billet one.

p.s. fuel lines are not definitive. I already have an oem L88 style solid fuel line and a hi volume mech fuel pump to replace the electric one and existing fuel lines, but not yet time to do the swap
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by elle88
ok , an in car video asap...
Well, 2 years. Hope all is well but still want in car video.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Well, 2 years. Hope all is well but still want in car video.
I haven't yet made an in car video just because making it on the streets ( even if i drive the car on some local empty roads , just me there) doesn't show the engine potential. I should have made an incar video at the racetrack but sincerely i was so focused on driving and various tech checks that i couldn't care about video too.

As i already sayed pure acceleration is not the main feature of this engine: that's why a straight line acceleration video is not so fancy. there are much better engines on this forum for 1/4 mile performance.

You have to drive it to understand how good the throttle response and its ability to progressively release the power without spinning the tires, above all out of a turn , avoiding power oversteer. this engine makes the car really "safe" to drive , and hi rpm power is there when you need it. I'm really impressed by the 4th gear ( with 4.11) :just by slamming on the gas pedal, no downshift, the car reaches 120mph in few seconds. scary beautiful

Quick Reply: Elle88 Build thread