C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Engine Upgrades ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Pilot...
I wasn't talking to you and wasn't referring to you. Why don't you go into therapy so you can eliminate your inordinate sensitivities?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 81pilot
OK once and for all, do you even own an 81? You say the same crap evertime someone asks about them and then to those of us no matter how much we try to say it is only our opinion you jump on here and call us names!!! I am not ignorant, I am very well schooled and I take offense to you suggesting otherwise! Frankly I get sick of it! He is a grown up, and nobody is telling him to do anything! My car runs so good is is scary!!!! So much so that I have not bought any parts for the one I am building because I am having a hard time justifying pulling it out! An engine looks WAY better without all the crap on it, thats a FACT. And as far as running like crap, well then your saying that ALL Vettes prior to 81 run like a piece of junk, yea thats good logic, everyone here should be offended! well your are are the biggest *** on this forum and frankly I am sick of it!
Well said! I find the sarcaism a bit much at times as well!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Pilot...
I wasn't talking to you and wasn't referring to you. Why don't you go into therapy so you can eliminate your inordinate sensitivities?
It really does not matter who the reference was made to. It just seems people can't give opinions without getting called ignorant. It just gets on my last nerve, and sometimes blurting out what I think IS good therapy. I felt much better after I sent it.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you first said that you wanted the best performance upgrades for your '81, but had less than $2K to spend. Since you took issue with my response [a comment to others that would have you install a 'new crate motor'], maybe you misstated your intentions to begin with.

You have a decent engine/control system to start with..but, for all I care, pull all the good stuff off {because some ignorant folks are telling you to} and make it look and run like a piece of junk...
I am confused. We must be having a communication error with each other. I never had an issue with what you said I was just asking what you Meant by "that's what I heard" I am open to ideas and suggestions...I am just trying to figure out what works and what would be best for me. Hope that clears up any misunderstandings...but I haven't had any issues with any of your responses
Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Ok guys..I am new to this forum....but can we please respect everyone's opinions! I am new to vettes...and actually older cars in general...I have been stalking and reading on here for a while... any info and suggestions is very much so welcomed.
Obviously everyone has their own opinions and preferences...but as car lovers in general lets respect and appreciate what everyone has to offer. What works for one guy...might not work as well for the next guy..lets be respectful...there's no reason to call ppl ignorant or whatever....sh*t I have seen VW bugs outrun every car at the track...maybe he could teach some of us somethings...so don't downplay each others experiences hell someone might say something you never thought of.....back on topic guys
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey, dose11, if you put an intake on it, say an old edelbrock Performer spreadbore, ( you can find them on ebay for less than 50 bucks, they are a little better than a stock intake, and are aluminum, so lighter.) Set of long tube headers and dual exhaust, (spend the money for ceramic coating, you will be happy) I'm pretty sure someone sells a chip for the computer that quickens up the ignition advance curve and stuff (Corvette Central, maybe? Not sure, but somebody does) I would bet that you enjoy the power increase, at least for a while.

Scott
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I try to reserve my sarcasm for those who advise others that their only viable solution is to "...scrap whatever they have..." and to "..put in a crate engine..." or to just throw money at it endlessly. That kind of advise is useless and didn't appear to be anything requested by the OP. Maybe the remainder of those contributing to this thread can actually respond to what was asked.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

For the record the manifold on the '81 is aluminum and if i am not mistaken an edelbrock manifold. the best thing you can do in my opinion (with a limited budget) is change the heads. the heads on the L81 do not flow well. I also have an '81 and I had the rear diff rebuilt and changed the stock gear for a 3:54 and that made it much more fun to drive.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dose,

I also have an 81 so I have been following this thread to see what people out there have done to theirs.

The question I would have for you is what are you looking to get out of the car? For example, I also have a C6, and for me to get that kind of performance out of my 81, I would have to spend a lot more than 2G.

Is that 2G the most you are willing to spend in total, or is it what you have now and you will be able to spend some more later?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Dose,

I also have an 81 so I have been following this thread to see what people out there have done to theirs.

The question I would have for you is what are you looking to get out of the car? For example, I also have a C6, and for me to get that kind of performance out of my 81, I would have to spend a lot more than 2G.

Is that 2G the most you are willing to spend in total, or is it what you have now and you will be able to spend some more later?
I am in the same boat as you with my 78 L-82 4 speed although I am starting from a better base with my L-82 than the L-81! I too have a 2010 Z06 that I bought new last year and the 78 will never be a Z06. I like the OP am just looking for a little more power from the L-82 but it will never be a Z06 thus my suggestion for heads, cam, headers, and scrap the emissions with the aforementioned changes. I will say that my L-82 with zero emissions, the holley 4175 650 CFM spreadbore, shorty headers, 2.5 true duals, and roller rockers is a MUCH better drive than when it was new and stock! I have also completely rebuilt all the suspension over the years and drastically improved the original gymkhana suspension and tires and the total ride is sooo much better than it was in 1978-it's unbelieveable! I guess the suggestions are either change the engine (which I would not do) or make the changes above for about 150 HP increase for about $3,000 dollars-your call!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Dose11
Drifting

I am definitely going to spend more later(maybe a little background info will help)

I recently(8 months ago) started a business...it's doing well...but its still new. I wan't to increase the power some so I enjoy the drive for the time being. I don't want to throw a whole bunch of cash at it right now because well...anything can happen with a new business you never know. So down the line when everything is stable and all I plan on putting more work into her...but at this time...I have set my limit to around 2k.

So for the time being whatever the best (easiest d.i.y) mods that can be had in or below my price range that increase horsepower is what I am interested in and looking for. The computer works as it is right now...and it has true duals... soooooo.......
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Dose11
Drifting

I try to reserve my sarcasm for those who advise others that their only viable solution is to "...scrap whatever they have..." and to "..put in a crate engine..." or to just throw money at it endlessly. That kind of advise is useless and didn't appear to be anything requested by the OP. Maybe the remainder of those contributing to this thread can actually respond to what was asked.
Just so you know I personally am not just going to listen to whoever says...."Put in a Crate Engine Throw all the other crap out". But if that is their suggestion...meh let em make it. I am going to weigh all options and suggestions to see what works best for me and my pockets! But I would love to know all the options and what has worked for others before I decide.

Your opinions and knowledge or more than welcome here(at least on this thread)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larryg3
For the record the manifold on the '81 is aluminum and if i am not mistaken an edelbrock manifold. the best thing you can do in my opinion (with a limited budget) is change the heads. the heads on the L81 do not flow well. I also have an '81 and I had the rear diff rebuilt and changed the stock gear for a 3:54 and that made it much more fun to drive.
Side by side, the stock '81 manifold looks a bit lower profile than the Edelbrock performer, functionally, I have no idea what that does, but I'm not expecting too much out of mine. I would have stayed with the stock one myself (until I scrounged up some better heads) but I stripped the threads out of one of the sensor ports and it was easier just to replace the whole thing than get it fixed. As noted, people upgrade from the Performer intake all the time, so you can pick one up for peanuts if you need to, but doesn't sound like the OP does.

I disconnected the computer on my '81 (not yet up and running) as well. The timing would not set correctly with the CCC in place and bubba wiring all over the place, so off it went. I threw a cheap GM Performance crate engine in mine since the stocker (rebuilt at some point) was leaking oil from every imaginable surface, and I wanted a fresh start.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Dose11
Just so you know I personally am not just going to listen to whoever says...."Put in a Crate Engine Throw all the other crap out". But if that is their suggestion...meh let em make it. I am going to weigh all options and suggestions to see what works best for me and my pockets! But I would love to know all the options and what has worked for others before I decide.

Your opinions and knowledge or more than welcome here(at least on this thread)
Like my father said- "sometimes you're gonna learn the hard way".
Keep a detailed notepad of how much you spend on a rebuild. Get back to those you are "personally not just going to listen to " about a crate engine and report the savings of time & money. And be sure to do the job right, cause YOU will be warranting the work.
Good luck, and have fun. Thats what its all about.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Like my father said- "sometimes you're gonna learn the hard way".
Keep a detailed notepad of how much you spend on a rebuild. Get back to those you are "personally not just going to listen to " about a crate engine and report the savings of time & money. And be sure to do the job right, cause YOU will be warranting the work.
Good luck, and have fun. Thats what its all about.
I am talking about from where I stand now in my situation. In the future...A Crate Engine is Definitely going in...and everything will be redone! But at this point in my life...financially...it is not something that is even an option for me.

LoL I already know that a crate engine would save time and money and boost HP and have less problems than modding and building up the current engine....but thats not the stage I am at now. Now I need to work with what I have...make it a little better...and maybe in a yr or so...I will drop a new engine in.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by nate99
Side by side, the stock '81 manifold looks a bit lower profile than the Edelbrock performer, functionally, I have no idea what that does, but I'm not expecting too much out of mine. I would have stayed with the stock one myself (until I scrounged up some better heads) but I stripped the threads out of one of the sensor ports and it was easier just to replace the whole thing than get it fixed. As noted, people upgrade from the Performer intake all the time, so you can pick one up for peanuts if you need to, but doesn't sound like the OP does.

I disconnected the computer on my '81 (not yet up and running) as well. The timing would not set correctly with the CCC in place and bubba wiring all over the place, so off it went. I threw a cheap GM Performance crate engine in mine since the stocker (rebuilt at some point) was leaking oil from every imaginable surface, and I wanted a fresh start.
Yeah I would have done the same thing in your position...but as it stands now...everything works. If it aint broke don't fix it right? When it does break...there will be a whole new thread with whole new questions
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Dose,

Right now I just want to enjoy the car some, make some modifications here and there and get a little performance boost. And in the future I wont to rework everything from the suspension, exhaust and the engine...

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Engine Upgrades ????

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Default 81

I have a completely stock 1981 and this car will outperform my driving skills any day of the week. But then again maybe you all are way better drivers then I am.
If our clubs goes on a run somewhere I can keep up with the big dogs .
Just my 2 cents worth horsepower isn't everything.
Laterz
Ken
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dose11, tell you what. I've owned a couple 81's including the one I now have. I've run them with and without the computer and everything on them. IMHO it really comes down to one question. What do you want the car to do? In stock trim, with everything working correctly, it's a really good daily driver and handles pretty well considering. Remember, it's only 190hp so it won't smoke the tires or win many stop light to stop light contests. And, with the TH350C trans, running at 75mph (like most freeways run today) the engine revs pretty high and that reduces economy. Still a nice daily driver for most.

On the down side, if the CCC fails or isn't working properly, it can be a challange to determine the causes and get things fixed. The service manual has great troubleshooting trees in it though and that helps a bunch, so it's not impossible by any stretch.

As for better performance, it's basically a matter of what you want from the car and how much money you have to get there. Sometimes (alot of times! ) those two issues are far apart. If your plans are to eventually drop a crate motor in the car, I'd suggest you consider fixing what you have and saving as much of the current $2K buget for the final solution. Adding headers and a true dual exhaust will help the current performance and providing you stay with a standard small block when you re-power the car, you can use the system on the new engine. You'll have to block off the AIR pump system though, and you may start throwing codes, but I don't think so as long as you add the O2 sensor to the new exhaust system. Another thought may be a 2004r or 700r4 trans. These can be done in about your $2K budget and would also work behind a new engine. Plus, you'll get the benefit of better gearing with the current engine and an overdrive that will really help highway driving.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Hey Dose11- (re-read your original posting) . I may can save you a few $$ by doing this:
research the 81 factory supplied/shipped SS hedders on your 81. They are different than the previous years (cast iron) . I remember reading somewhere that they added a few horses over the cast manifolds. If so, try to research the difference b/w these and store bought hedders.At this point in your mods I'm thinking it would not be cost effective to add aftermarket hedders -usually ~$300 or more- just to add 5-10 more horses. I bet its even less than that. Your $300 may be better spent on something else, like heads, carb, intake, etc...
Just trying to help. I've been where you are at before with limited funds- hell, I'm still there. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1981 Engine Upgrades ????