C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior repaint

Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Joshharvey
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior repaint

Hi guys, I am a new corvette owner and plan to repaint/dye by inner console and had a few questions for you

1. I plan to dye the park brake console and lower console assembly from firethorn red to black. What is the main process for this? Do I need to strip the paint off it first before dying? what dye should I use for this? There is a few cracks in the park brake console, any recommendations for patching this before I dye it?

2. I plan to repaint the centre console black, what would the main process be for this, stripping the paint, cleaning and paint? Any recommendations for the chrome trim and letter?
I have searched the forums and found lots of information about restoring the console but was wondering what the main problems are people run into

3. How to do you take out the Vents on the driver side and passenger side? Do you have any recommendations for shinning these or the shifter?

4. My Heater & AC Control Panel is pretty beat up any recommendations for restoring this or just purchase a new one?

5. My rear view mirror is starting to look shabby and chipping, what would be the best way to fix this order new glass or just purchase a new rear view mirror?

6. I have speakers that are unsecured in the storage compartment that came with the car what is the best way to secure these down?

7. The passenger side seat belt is stuck at the bottom, there is lots of slack at the top end but you cannot pull the actual clip from the bottom, any recommendations?

Thanks for your time and if you can answer any of these questions its much appreciated, my first classic car trying to make you guys proud and not drive around in a shabby vett
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from any color interior to black is fairly simple no need for a primer. Anything you dye must me clean very clean. I first use detergent with water and a brush and then a cloth and rinse and the do it again. Then I wipe it down with acetone. There is a adhesion promoter that helps bond the dye I have never used it and everything that I have done has come out just fine. No need to strip anything unless its peeling.

The vent ***** come out from behind the dash. There is a collar that holds them to the vent controller . These collars are easily broken if you over tighten them. I would be cautious about using any polish on the ***** they are just plastic that is plated. You can buy new reproductions from most of the vendors.

On your shift plate use a semi black of satin black quality paint to freshen it up.

don't know about the speakers and seat belt
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi J,
For your #4.
If you disassemble the shifter console completely the heater/a/c control can be repainted in the same way as the shifter console plate.
First semi-flat black paint and then remove the paint from the exposed chrome edges.
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The vent ***** easily come out from the front. The 'trick' is to turn them 90* so that the openings face side-to-side. Then just pull them out. Since they are plastic (vacuum metalized to get them looking like chrome), you can't polish them. I suggest that you just clean them well and put a coating of Nu-Vinyl or other polymer protectant meant for plastic parts.

The metal bezel/trans plate should be stripped with a chemical stripper, then washed/rinsed well. Spray with semi-flat or satin black paint. And, before the paint sets up, use a razor blade or X-Acto knife to trim off the areas you want exposed as chrome. DO NOT try to brush off the trimmings. Blow them off or, if they won't easily blow off, just leave them alone until the paint is dry and then brush them off.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joshharvey
Hi guys, I am a new corvette owner and plan to repaint/dye by inner console and had a few questions for you

1. I plan to dye the park brake console and lower console assembly from firethorn red to black. What is the main process for this? Do I need to strip the paint off it first before dying? what dye should I use for this? There is a few cracks in the park brake console, any recommendations for patching this before I dye it?

2. I plan to repaint the centre console black, what would the main process be for this, stripping the paint, cleaning and paint? Any recommendations for the chrome trim and letter?
I have searched the forums and found lots of information about restoring the console but was wondering what the main problems are people run into

3. How to do you take out the Vents on the driver side and passenger side? Do you have any recommendations for shinning these or the shifter?

4. My Heater & AC Control Panel is pretty beat up any recommendations for restoring this or just purchase a new one?

5. My rear view mirror is starting to look shabby and chipping, what would be the best way to fix this order new glass or just purchase a new rear view mirror?

6. I have speakers that are unsecured in the storage compartment that came with the car what is the best way to secure these down?

7. The passenger side seat belt is stuck at the bottom, there is lots of slack at the top end but you cannot pull the actual clip from the bottom, any recommendations?

Thanks for your time and if you can answer any of these questions its much appreciated, my first classic car trying to make you guys proud and not drive around in a shabby vett
Hey Josh.

Have you started this yet? I just went from red to black in my '75 Vette. I have to install the door panels and I'll be back on the road.

If you haven't started, I've got some valuable information. If you have, maybe we can compare notes....to everyone's benefit.

Best regards,

Kirk
Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi J,
For your #4.
If you disassemble the shifter console completely the heater/a/c control can be repainted in the same way as the shifter console plate.
First semi-flat black paint and then remove the paint from the exposed chrome edges.
Regards,
Alan

Finally Alan I get to ask you a question.

Did you use regular paint, vinyl paint or a spray dye?

Ralph
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The vent ***** easily come out from the front. The 'trick' is to turn them 90* so that the openings face side-to-side. Then just pull them out. Since they are plastic (vacuum metalized to get them looking like chrome), you can't polish them. I suggest that you just clean them well and put a coating of Nu-Vinyl or other polymer protectant meant for plastic parts.

The metal bezel/trans plate should be stripped with a chemical stripper, then washed/rinsed well. Spray with semi-flat or satin black paint. And, before the paint sets up, use a razor blade or X-Acto knife to trim off the areas you want exposed as chrome. DO NOT try to brush off the trimmings. Blow them off or, if they won't easily blow off, just leave them alone until the paint is dry and then brush them off.
7T1vette is bang on as usual! Although I did have one vent ball that refused to come out that way. Luckily it was on the passengers side!
As an alternative to the razor method, you can wipe off the paint with a thinners rag. Takes a bit of practice at first, and is also easier if the paint is fresh.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joshharvey

Hi Josh.

This episode of Gearz (link below) started me down a road that I can say worked out better than I ever thought possible.

I have a '75 Coupe whose interior was tired and my wife wanted the interior to be changed from red to black. The carpets were worn out so I had already decided not to try to dye them. I replaced them and while I was at it, covered the floor with hush mat....another great decision.

I had also decided to replace the original seats with C5 seats in black (I Ebay'd the old seats that made my net cash outlay of just $150.

The section titled "Refurbishing Plastic and Vinyl Panels" convinced me to give the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Paint is something that I studied and made multiple notes. I followed Stacey's instructions to the letter (preparation is key), stripped out the interior and painted all of the vinyl panels. I used the satin black vs. glossy (personal preference) and I couldn't be happier.

I will have the door panels installed this weekend and that finishes the interior.

In the pics attached the red door panel was the before and the black, is obviously after. Same with the vinyl panel.

I hope that this helps..... My wife who is pretty picky, loves the results. She's actually pushing me to get the door panels on the car so that she can drive it to work a few days a month.

http://staceydavid.com/episodes/bans...exhaust-system
Attached Images     
Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

With exception of some cleanup, installing the rear view mirror, and the door lock *****, and coloring the parking brake console pad, the interior is finished for now. My future plans include refurbishing the center console, which will include installing the quartz clock conversion and an upgraded radio. The shift console is just about worn out so that will also require some attention and at that time I'll refurb the shift plate. The parking brake console is all but worn out too. For now, I'm going to drive her and so will my wife.

The last pic shows some touchup work that remains to be done.

She ain't perfect but I love her.

Attached Images      
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

You still need to re-dye that center armrest cushion. A 'red' one just doesn't get it in that black interior. And, I assume that steering wheel is really some shade of brown....right? (If red, you need to change/modify that, too.)

Very nicely done!!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You still need to re-dye that center armrest cushion. A 'red' one just doesn't get it in that black interior. And, I assume that steering wheel is really some shade of brown....right? (If red, you need to change/modify that, too.)

Very nicely done!!
I agree. The armrest happens this weekend and the steering, made of mahogany, was my wife's suggestion/contribution, besides the request to change the color.

I also machined the door lock plates to allow for my idea of dressing up the door (just a little) with the C2 door lock *****.

Thanks.......
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
kirt8548
Instructor

One follow up question. At 6'1" I find myself being quite capable of unintentionally kicking the lower left portion of the inside door panel.

I know..... I know.... "stop being so cloddy...right?"

My question to anyone in the group that cares is. Has anyone found a material that will help protect that area from scuffing. Now that I've changed the color via paint this area is more prone to scuffing/removing of paint. I was thinking some 3M clear self adhesive sheets, cut to fit.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Clear-tastic makes clear, non-scuff material that is used on outer body areas that are susceptible to damage. You might check to see what they have that might do the job.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kirt8548
With exception of some cleanup, installing the rear view mirror, and the door lock *****, and coloring the parking brake console pad, the interior is finished for now. My future plans include refurbishing the center console, which will include installing the quartz clock conversion and an upgraded radio. The shift console is just about worn out so that will also require some attention and at that time I'll refurb the shift plate. The parking brake console is all but worn out too. For now, I'm going to drive her and so will my wife.

The last pic shows some touchup work that remains to be done.

She ain't perfect but I love her.

Excellent!!!
Tell me more about putting the C5 seats in a C3.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Excellent!!!
Tell me more about putting the C5 seats in a C3.
Private message sent.

I do love paying it forward.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
briaineo
Racer

Hey kirt8548

Where did you get your horn button?

thanks

Eoin
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
kirt8548
Instructor

Originally Posted by briaineo
Hey kirt8548

Where did you get your horn button?

thanks

Eoin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Euro-Maho...fefc94&vxp=mtr

I don't know what the seller can do for you regarding just the button, but my Ebay experience with him/her/them was a good one.

Last edited by kirt8548; 03-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior repaint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior repaint