C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
pshiflet1
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight bouncing

This question has to have been addressed several times, but i've looked through the archives and can't find this problem. My '80 has headlight issues, big surprise. The right headlight pops up and locks like its supposed to, but the right side very slowly comes up and eventually makes it, but it bounces constantly. Its locking into position, but it's like its loose or something. Also, any ideas on which component I should replace to fix the slow pop up? Actuator?

Thanks for your help....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pshiflet1
This question has to have been addressed several times, but i've looked through the archives and can't find this problem. My '80 has headlight issues, big surprise. The right headlight pops up and locks like its supposed to, but the right side very slowly comes up and eventually makes it, but it bounces constantly. Its locking into position, but it's like its loose or something. Also, any ideas on which component I should replace to fix the slow pop up? Actuator?

Thanks for your help....

The springs are what keeps the tension on the joint when it's in it's locked position. Are all four springs still there and do they seem healthy? The bushings can also be bad and perhaps the looseness is caused on the ends of the arms.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
pshiflet1
Cruising

I will check it out, would you recommend pulling the entire headlight assembly and replacing the springs and bushings?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

The light that is coming up slowly most likely is leaking vacuum through the actuator rod seal. Here is an article on how to replace it:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/body...both-open.html

Are you sure it is locking into position? There are so many parts in the headlight assembly that if it is locking into position and still moving around, it could be any number of things. The two bearings at the pivot points could be shot, or the pivot pin(s) could be broken, I've seen both problems.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
pshiflet1
Cruising

Since the light usually only comes halfway up, i have to go grab it and pull it the rest of the way. I can feel it lock into position and it wont push down. The whole assembly just feels loose. With the motor off i can wiggle the light up and down. Where can i get the replacement parts for the light? Bearings, springs, etc. I doubt the springs are shot, but if they're only a few bucks its worth it to replace them.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the springs and actuator checks out, look at the bolts that hold the support frame in place. Chances are its broken.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Moser28
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I broke a support frame and it sounds similar to what you describe. There may be other things to look at as well like the header bar. It may have separated from the body causing the bounce if everything else checks out tight. Hopefully its just the springs and bushings.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi p1,
Besides the springs that Mark mentioned that hold the mechanism in the open/locked position, I believe the adjusting screw shown on the adjusting bracket on the right side of 7T2's drawing can help stop the light from bouncing when in the open position too.
Have you checked that ?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ps,

I had similar problems on my '76. I replaced the following things in this order:

actuator seals
springs (several missing)

that helped and then...

rebuilt relays
replaced filter and T
replaced headlight switch

Of all of those things, rebuilding the relays had the greatest effect. Now, when I pull the switch, the pass light goes up first, followed about 1 sec later by the drivers light. The drivers relay is leaking slightly which accounts for the delay. My hoses were all fine.

I used a Harbor Freight vac pump and a mityvac hand pump to troubleshoot.

John
Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 AM
pshiflet1
Cruising

I have the mighty vac, i was thinking of using that to troubleshoot. I would be thrilled if one popped up and the other a second later. I've been living with this problem for a while.

Where can i order parts for these headlights? I'd like to get new springs and bushings and just rebuild as much as i can while i'm in there.

I looked at converting to electric pop ups, but after seeing the price i thought i would just fix this system. Another user made a great point in a post. Spend a thousand dollars on electric system or spend fifty bucks repairing what you have. I'd rather keep it stock anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight bouncing

Quick Reply: Headlight bouncing