C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 color chart for frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM
qtrmile2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C3 color chart for frame

Can you guys tell me where I can find an OEM color chart for painting the correct colors for my frame parts. Example, Disc brake covers, spindles, rear leaf spring, drive shafts, rear end etc. I looked at a Eastwood catalog and it has a picture of a corvette frame with their colors. I'd like to find a OEM chart for matching the colors if possible.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Head over to the NCRS site. They will tell you everthing about anything Corvette.

I told a friend to do it for his 68 and he's thrilled by the quick responses to even minor questions. BTW I think he joined the NCRS and got a lot of documentation for a 68.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Except for the frame itself, nearly everything attached to the frame is bare or plated metal. Do you want to keep it exactly the same as 'factory original', or do you want to paint everything a similar color as from the factory, but keep them protected from rusting?

You can find the info on the original color of stuff at the NCRS site, but they will have NO information about what paints/colors to use in order to "simulate" factory colors. They don't allow that sort of thing. {I guess they like rust and corrosion....}
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
qtrmile2
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Except for the frame itself, nearly everything attached to the frame is bare or plated metal. Do you want to keep it exactly the same as 'factory original', or do you want to paint everything a similar color as from the factory, but keep them protected from rusting?

You can find the info on the original color of stuff at the NCRS site, but they will have NO information about what paints/colors to use in order to "simulate" factory colors. They don't allow that sort of thing. {I guess they like rust and corrosion....}
I would like to paint everything as close to original as possible so it doesn't rust. I'll check out NCRS site.
Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrmile2
I would like to paint everything as close to original as possible so it doesn't rust. I'll check out NCRS site.
Thanks guys
Beware of answers from guys with chips on their shoulders about the NCRS . They've never been members, have no idea what goes on or how things work, but just leap at opportunities to come up with negative and incorrect answers.

The judging manuals simply describe what the original materials and finishes were. Imagine that! If you want to know how to rebuild an SBC or how to paint a car in BC/CC to look like lacquer, that's the wrong book.

The vast majority of members have 'daily driver' cars that may never be judged and have restored them according to their desires and budget, as they see fit. Questions like yours appear frequently on the NCRS board and get answered courteously as KenSny mentioned. There are all sorts of methods of redoing unplated/unfinished surfaces to look similar to factory stuff.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I think that's what I already told him, Mike. NCRS will tell him what the 'original' finishes were. Now, you've told him and I've told him. You think that's enough for now????

By the way, did I tell him incorrectly that NCRS would not advise of any kinds of paint that would replicate the 'appearance' of factory finish?

Didn't think so.....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

By the way, did I tell him incorrectly that NCRS would not advise of any kinds of paint that would replicate the 'appearance' of factory finish?

Didn't think so.....
Yes, you gave out incorrect info, as usual.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi qm,
While many of the parts that make up the running gear are 'natural', a surprising number of parts were painted, too. The shock absorbers, front sway-bar, rear caliper mount, trailing arms, to name a few.
Also, there were some parts that were originally plated with various finishes. The front caliper mounts, and brake splash shields for example.
If you're interested in original finishes you should think about the fastener finishes too. Bolts, washers, nuts, etc. were 'natural', black oxide, phosphate and zinc depending on where they were used.
Cars are restored to different levels of original accuracy depending on the owner's desires.
It's one of those things that you can get as deeply into as you want.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
qtrmile2
Instructor

I want to thank you guys for your input. I'm doing a ground up restoration on my 1970 LT1 Convertible and trying to get it correct as possible. I had the frame powder coated in chassis black and I'm starting to install parts on the frame.
I might have it judged when it's completed to improve the value.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Good luck with your project.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

...trying to get it correct as possible. I had the frame powder coated in chassis black...
That's not the way A. O. Smith did it when they built the frames. But it won't matter if the judge is the little girl down the street with the lemonade stand.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Come on guys, let's give credit where credit is due.

The NCRS guys have compiled a lot of info over the years.

And no, I don't follow the NCRS guidelines, I like to do it my way. But for those that want to know the way GM did it, they are the go-to guys.

My advice: Don't sit here on the forum and asked pure GM OEM restoration questions, you will probably get many different answers. Sometimes correct - sometimes not.

Lets be
The following users liked this post:
sug (01-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I want to thank you guys for your input. I'm doing a ground up restoration on my 1970 LT1 Convertible and trying to get it correct as possible. I had the frame powder coated in chassis black and I'm starting to install parts on the frame.
Umm not to be a jerk, but please don't be a 'one day wonder' by joining up just to get it judged- and then disappear. Members spend money out of their own pockets to become judges on YOUR car, not to mention their own time. It's not supposed to be a one way street.

As others have said, powder coat on the frame is going in the wrong direction.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KenSny
...Come on guys, let's give credit where credit is due...The NCRS guys have compiled a lot of info over the years...for those that want to know the way GM did it, they are the go-to guys...
Well said.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi qm,
If you begin to attend some NCRS you may well run into some examples you can study to see if they apply to what you're doing with your LT-!.
These are from last Summers NCRS National Convention in Novi Michigan.
The chassis and running gear was displayed by Kevin McKay.
I think seeing original and restored cars in person offers MUCH more information than can be related in lists. (Although lists are good too!)
Regards
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-10-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I think You are at the point of joining the NCRS. If You have any intensions of having the Car Judged by them then You should become one of them. Your asking the Paint colors that will make or break the car when its being judged, so why not ask the Judges before and during the restoration. They live for this kind of stuff and would probably like to see the car now and during the resto. After all there just a bunch of car guys, and willing to help all the way. When the car is done and You take it to a meet and have it judged its not like your sitting in a court room. Generaly you take your car to a series of shows and have time to corect things as you go from one show to the next. So why not start with a head start at the begining. There have probably been a number of people who have restored there car to the way they think it should look and then be disapointed that the NCRS didn't agree and blame them. Its spring and the begining of Car show time so go to a local NCRS meet and meet the people there. I think You will enjoy it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If you don't want to prepare the car exactly as NCRS requires (for it's scoring process), you may be sorely disappointed with the scores you receive..even though you do a marvelous job of restoring your car.

You need to get a copy of the judging manual, review it, then decide how to best proceed.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 color chart for frame

Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm all for originality, and if the NCRS are keepers of the sacred info, then great!
No disrespect to you 7T1vette.
Cheers
Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Not a problem. Everyone should do what they think best with their car. But, newbies..or folks just starting to think about how they want to restore their car, need to consider all the issues before setting a course for either 1) pure factory condition (NCRS); 2) simulated factory condition; or 3) "mod" as desired. All are good; but, some are more difficult, and some are expensive and nearly impossible.

Everyone who asks 'the question' deserves to know what they are in for.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Another thought about the 'have it judged to improve the value' topic. Putting aside the negative impression that it gives us NCRS guys, be aware that the additional costs of getting everything just right for judging, and keeping it that way rarely gives any positive payback at time of sale. Although there are some people that won't know the difference between a Third Flight Chapter award and Top Flight National, most knowledgeable buyers will. The costs of campaigning a car to a National event are considerable.

There's also the aspect of making the car undriveable for fear of getting a stone chip or corrosion following a rainstorm. Committing to a full blown restoration is not for the faint of heart.

Quick Reply: C3 color chart for frame