C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Default More seat issues

More to my seat issue. This caused my seat issue the top stop got hooked under the bottom so it wouldn't flip forward leading to the button getting broke. Anyone dealt with this? Remedies? Thanks in advance for input.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
It seems to me that there could be several causes:
Are the hinge bolts in good condition… could they be causing the seat back to be misaligned with the seat bottom?
Are the 'welded in place' nuts on both the seat back and seat base in good condition… have any of them been broken loose from the frame?
Are all 4 of the 'seat bumper bolts' in good condition? Have any of their threaded shafts been bent from being perpendicular to the round pad?
???
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-26-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It could be that the bottom seat frame is broken and you need a reinforcement part like this one:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000036b#

And you need the rubber bumpers.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:34 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

I put a reinforcement in when seat were redone. I threaded the top bumpers all the way in the right was a little unlevel. The remains of the rubber pads were there but, torn up. It looks like the side hinges need to go toward the back.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by croaker
I put a reinforcement in when seat were redone. I threaded the top bumpers all the way in the right was a little unlevel. The remains of the rubber pads were there but, torn up. It looks like the side hinges need to go toward the back.
Since you already have the bottom reinforcement that's good. Is the seat back solid?
Is there any slack if you try to move the top adjuster?

I tried to get a photo to see how my adjusters come together but there wasn't much room.

If all else fails try Alan 71's suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
croaker (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can say this...

When I recover seats..I oftentimes have to tweak the frames back together so I get the upper and lower stop bolts to contact as much as possible. The photo above has not been tweaked.....but as you can see it is very close to being perfect. And what I find it is the hinges and the rear seat frame being all messed up due to people throwing themselves into the seat..and over time..the frame begins to move.

DUB
Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Dub are you tweaking the side hinges some way?
Old 09-27-2016, 03:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Those two studs are not badly misaligned. But, you don't have a rubber cushion on the upper stud. (see photos above) If you install the cushion, there is no way those two studs can get 'hooked'.

If the seat back sits too 'vertical' when the cushion is installed, cut it down so that it just sticks up a bit from the stud head. Or, you could install a different bolt/pad in the seat back so that is has a different contact point with the lower seat stud.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub are you tweaking the side hinges some way?
YES...and also the steel frame due to its curve has been effected by people throwing themselves in the seat. So their lower back is always making contact and the lower seat back frame.

And if you also take into account the seat bottom frame..it is often times cracked or split and needs to be repaired....BUT...generally the seat bottom frame does not need to be re-worked due to the lower stops thread into the welded in nuts...so their dimension is a 'given'...and you adjust the rear seat back to them.

In my photo it does not show that the two stops are very good from the 'front to back' aspect. But in the photo you can see the 'side to side' is off.

When I get the covers off...and do whatever repairs I need to do...I do 'play around' with the rear frame to get these stops to align correctly. I am just picky that way. I have not come across a set of seats that I can not correct these bumpers and stops.

I have numerous photos of when I recently did seat covers that were 1972 ORIGINALS and thought of posting them in a thread of doing set covers.....but with so many videos on doing it... I wonder if it is worth it.

And if you need an estimated time to get the frame tweaked back into correct position..I can have an EASY 1/2 hour + in that....so it just depends. Because some I get in are real;ly screwed up and barely touching.

DUB
Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Those two studs are not badly misaligned. But, you don't have a rubber cushion on the upper stud. (see photos above) If you install the cushion, there is no way those two studs can get 'hooked'.

If the seat back sits too 'vertical' when the cushion is installed, cut it down so that it just sticks up a bit from the stud head. Or, you could install a different bolt/pad in the seat back so that is has a different contact point with the lower seat stud.
The rubber pads were there but all torn up. They were hooked together when I took the seat out. The top pad under the bottom which was preventing it to fold up. The picture makes it look better then what it actually is according to alignment. I've reinstalled the seat and going to order some parts plus the pads. My wife kinda fessed up saying "I think I know when that happened"
Old 09-27-2016, 09:05 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Yes Dub the bottom ones seem to be very stable in their position so the top frame must have some sort of twist.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes Dub the bottom ones seem to be very stable in their position so the top frame must have some sort of twist.

If you get into tweaking on the seat back frame...and look at it...you will see there are a lot of ways this frame can move when it has been 'loved on'.

Take a close look on where the track that holds your seat release mechanism. I oftentimes see the beginnings of the metal beginning to tear near the two small screws that secure the track to the seat back. It is somewhat flimsy there.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
croaker (09-29-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To More seat issues

Quick Reply: More seat issues