C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable bracket moved

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi vm,
The cable in your photo appears to be the 74-81 cable.
During the years that engines were offered with both Q-jet and Holley carburetors I believe the same accelerator cable was used on all engines (except 3x2).
Perhaps (?) you're looking for 68-72 cable? (Paragon #2330 for instance.)
Will that fit/function in your car?
Regards,
Alan

yeah.. maybe alan. I'm ok with using that cable if it will fit. My car is a 77 so the cable I have is original to the car. But obviously the carb is not. Any ideas on how to see if a 68-72 cable will fit a 77? And what about the return spring?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Vnm,
I'm sorry but I don't know how to determine if the earlier cable will work without trying it.
Is there a way to use the little clamp and bolt that's part of the q-jet bracket to trap the cable you have in place?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

The 68-72 cable has a metal collar or sleeve that the clamp on the bracket tightens down on to hold it in place. I think if he tries to tighten the clamp on the cable he has, it will just crush the plastic casing and clamp onto the cable inside and not allow the throttle to move,
Duane
Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

This may help. This bracket https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9885/overview/ bolts to the rear intake manifold bolts. I have a 4-sp and it works perfect for taking up all the slack in the throttle cable and completely opens the secondary throttle plates while using the original throttle cable. Maybe you can leave your kick down cable attached to your existing throttle bracket or modify it to use it in conjunction with the one I listed. This bracket also works with my 1-3/4" drop base. You need to take all the slack out of throttle cable so the primary squirter will begin to squirt immediately when the accelerator pedal is pushed i.e. no hesitation. To get my secondary throttle plates to open all the way I needed to bend my accelerator pedal rod. I just grabbed the pedal and pulled firmly upward just enough to get those plates to open fully. This is an easy fix but it could break the bracket that attaches the pedal to the firewall. Use caution but it worked for me.

Last edited by resdoggie; 03-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by Duane4238
The 68-72 cable has a metal collar or sleeve that the clamp on the bracket tightens down on to hold it in place. I think if he tries to tighten the clamp on the cable he has, it will just crush the plastic casing and clamp onto the cable inside and not allow the throttle to move,
Duane
that's is my concern as well. Basically I need a 68-82 throttle cable. I just wonder if it will fit a 77 as far as length is concerned
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 AM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by resdoggie
This may help. This bracket https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9885/overview/ bolts to the rear intake manifold bolts. I have a 4-sp and it works perfect for taking up all the slack in the throttle cable and completely opens the secondary throttle plates while using the original throttle cable. Maybe you can leave your kick down cable attached to your existing throttle bracket or modify it to use it in conjunction with the one I listed. This bracket also works with my 1-3/4" drop base. You need to take all the slack out of throttle cable so the primary squirter will begin to squirt immediately when the accelerator pedal is pushed i.e. no hesitation. To get my secondary throttle plates to open all the way I needed to bend my accelerator pedal rod. I just grabbed the pedal and pulled firmly upward just enough to get those plates to open fully. This is an easy fix but it could break the bracket that attaches the pedal to the firewall. Use caution but it worked for me.

well I won't have a kick down cable because I'm installing 4l80e. If I have to buy abother bracket I will go ahead and get the lokar universal cable and bracket. It's got good reviews. But unfortunately I just bought the holley bracket from paragon. I hope to use it.. if I can determine if a early model c3 throttle cable is compatible with a late model.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Just trying to offer advice and save you time and money by keeping it simple. You don't need a new throttle cable - just change your bracket for one like mine or similar.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,284 Posts

A new cable that will fit your new bracket is only about $25 and will also work.

GM Part Number: 336977
Accelerator cable
, all 1968-73 exc. 2nd design 1969 w/3x2. Functional for L1969 w/3x2 (built after May 28, 1969), but the original cable was slightly shorter and had an orange plastic sleeve.

photo courtesy Paragon Corvette Reproductions
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...tor-cable.aspx

You'll need to replace the throttle "stud" on your carb with a ball stud like this however...
Accelerator cable ball stud kit, attaches to Q-jet carb lever. Includes ball stud, star washer and nut.
Years: 1968 - 1973

photo courtesy Paragon Corvette Reproductions
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-stud-kit.aspx

Good luck... GUSTO

Quick Reply: Throttle cable bracket moved