C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***warning***buyer beware*** warning***

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Default ***warning***buyer beware*** warning***

Just like the thread stated. This is a warning.

I am NOT going to give the name of the company that did this service...because all I am trying to express is that you should NEVER assume anything...regardless on who it comes from...and you will shorty read why this is true.

These are FACTS and not my opinion on this matter and unless a person chooses not to acknowledge GM's service information...then I guess that person will want to debate this.

First off...read this out of the GM Corvette service manual.

it CLEARLY states that when a rotor is being turned down...it CANNOT be surfaced thinner that 1.230". So....turning it to 1.228" is not good or any thickness under the 1.230"

A customer of mine sent his two trailing arms out for rebuilding at this company because the costs were cheaper than if I did it. There was an extra charge for indexing the rotors to the spindles and I told him I DID NOT want the rotors riveted back on due to it is not required.

The company that he sent them to, who I know should do a good job due to being in business a very long time. When the trailing arms came in the trailing arms looked very good. And the rear wheel bearings were also done correctly and were in specs but I prefer to get the end play of the bearings much tighter than what they did. Once again...another area where people can disagree.

But here is where the problem begins. The rotors were machined BELOW the minimum of 1.230 when completed.

These two photos show what they measured at.

1.219"

1.218"

Not that this was bad enough...that these rotors are now about .003" to .004" of an inch from discarding them....because if you remember...in rotor information above...it clearly states that discard is at 1.215".

The sad thing about this is that the rotors that were sent with the trailing arms where at 1.247" and 1.245" respectively. If I still had them at the shop I could have saved them and not needed to cut them down as badly as they had. I assumed they knew what they were doing... a big error on my account for assuming that.

Also it is a crying shame that this company has not figured out how to use the shims that are available ...even if they rivet the rotor back on so they do not have to machine off so much metal....OR...realize that they are turning rotors down too far.

Thank goodness I did not have the rotors riveted back on because when I went in and installed brand new rotors and indexed them by using shim material as needed. I also noticed that the adjuster on one trailing arm was not installed correctly and it needed to be corrected. because its position is critical in order to follow GM's outline on how to tighten up the parking brake shoes for adjustment. IF these rotors were riveted back on..it would have been a waste of time and money.

Correct procedure to using the screwdriver on the adjuster.

Clearly stated in the fifth paragraph. Your hand raises up when tightening the park brake shoes. One trailing arm was backwards and I had to go down with the screwdriver. Something that should NOT have been overlooked if they were paying attention....or trying to do so much for so little money.

Lastly here is the written text that states the rotors do not need to be riveted back on. People can do as they wish in this area...but I prefer not to for making it easier on some service operations.

So...just because your trailing arms come in looking great may still make them not right.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-07-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling/text
The following 5 users liked this post by DUB:
73racevette (05-12-2017), AllC34Me (05-14-2017), Calo69 (05-13-2017), M A Fry (01-07-2019), Robert Thomas (05-16-2017)

Popular Reply

05-14-2017, 02:46 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Dub's posts are very informative...some of you need to knock it off, quite frankly......take the information for what it is and move on...............
Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Very good critique DUB.....I hope a lot o' folks heed your warnings and apply them!

If I was the owner of the discs, I'd damn sure try to get my $$$ back....if he can't, then I would at least get w/ the BBB, along w/ warnings by word-of-mouth. SHAME!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

You can tell that rotor is thin just by looking at it. That's some scary crap!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
Very good critique DUB.....I hope a lot o' folks heed your warnings and apply them!

If I was the owner of the discs, I'd damn sure try to get my $$$ back....if he can't, then I would at least get w/ the BBB, along w/ warnings by word-of-mouth. SHAME!
I had a rather HEATED argument with them. 'They' were saying the rotors were GOOD because they were above the DISCARD thickness...but I COULD NOT get the guy to wrap his head around the FACT that they were machined down too far.

THEN.....'they' wanted me to show them written text on using shims to correct the rotors ...where that is implied common sense and should not he to be spelled out.....BUT YET...they would not observe the written text as I stated on how much the rotors can be turned down before you MUST STOP machining them.

They did send me two used rotors but when I got them..they were so badly pitted I just went ahead and out two new ones on. TRUST ME..I will never make that mistake again.

DUB
Old 05-11-2017, 08:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Some guy might be getting ready to send his parts to them right now but not naming the place he really doesnt Get any warning,
afterall you called the shop and they told you the rotors are good to go,
They would likely tell anyone who called the same,
Knowing what i do about you i am surprised you protect the bad shop by not naming them,

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-11-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Dub, as I have said before, great that you are here looking out for us.

Bill
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The problem is by not naming the shop all get a bad rap. Perhaps someone should check with a moderator. But member businesses will likely be.protected
Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
The problem is by not naming the shop all get a bad rap. Perhaps someone should check with a moderator. But member businesses will likely be.protected
Nope, supporting vendors are not protected,
in the transaction section even a problem with a supporting vendor can and should be named,
I am all in favor of feedback but name names or no real help or point
Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

What's not to understand.

Min refresh is because its going to wear to the min "discard" thickness.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Just like the thread stated. This is a warning.

I am NOT going to give the name of the company that did this service...becasue all I am trying to express is that you should NEVER assume anything...regardless on who it comes form...and you will shorty read why this is true.

These are FACTS and not my opinion on this matter and unless a person chooses not to acknowledge GM's service information...then I guess that person will want to debate this.

First off...read this out of the GM Corvette service manual.

it CLEARLY states that when a rotor is being turned down...it CAN NOT be surfaced thinner that 1.230". So,,,turning it to 1.228" is not good or any thickness under the 1.230"

I customer of mine sent his two trailing arms out for rebuilding at this company because the costs were cheaper than if I did it. There was an extra charge for indexing the rotors to the spindles and I told him I DID NOT want the rotors riveted back on due to it is not required.

The company that he sent them to, who I know should do a good job due to being in business a very long time. When the trailing arms came in the trailing arms looked very good. And the rear wheel bearings were also done correctly.\

But here is where the problem begins. The rotors were machined BELOW the minimum of 1.230 when completed.

These two photos show what they measured at.

1.219"

1.218"

Not that this was bad enough...that these rotors are now about .003" to .004" of an inch from discarding them....because if you remember...in rotor information above...it clearly states that discard is at 1.215".

The sad thing about this is that the rotors that were sent with the trailing arms where at 1.247" and 1.245" respectively. If I still had them at the shop I could have saved them and not needed to cut them down as badly as they had. I assumed they knew what they were doing... a big error on my account for assuming that.

Also it is a crying shame that this company has not figured out how to use the shims that are available ...even if they rivet the rotor back on so they do not have to machine off so much metal....OR...realize that they are turning rotors down too far.

Thank goodness I did not have the rotors riveted back on because when I went in and installed brand new rotors and indexed them by using shim material as needed. I also noticed that the adjuster on one trailing arm was not installed correctly and it needed to be corrected. because its position is critical in order to follow GM's outline on how to tighten up the parking brake shoes for adjustment. IF these rotors were riveted back on..it would have been a waste of time and money.

Correct procedure to using the screwdriver on the adjuster.

Clearly stated in the fifth paragraph. Your hand raises up when tightening the park brake shoes. One trailing arm was backwards and I had to go down with the screwdriver. Something that should NOT have been overlooked if they were paying attention....or trying to do so much for so little money.

Lastly here is the written text that states the rotors do not need to be riveted back on. People can do as they wish in this area...but I prefer not to for making it easier on some service operations.

So...just because your trailing arms come in looking great may still make them not right.

DUB
Thanks for heads up DUB
Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Perhaps the perpetrators should to be brought in for, ahem, "questioning"...

Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
If by "member businesses" you mean forum Supporting Vendors are "protected," this statement is absolutely untrue.

Regarding this thread, not naming the business in a thread in Transaction Feedback for all members to access is a lost opportunity.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:50 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Unfortunately most people don't read the directions.

You cannot be mad a DUB for not listing his vendor, he has a Corvette shop for a living, chastising a vendor makes it harder for him to run his business and makes it harder to get parts for his customers.

Last edited by midigike; 05-12-2017 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bubbagum (02-22-2021)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike

You cannot be mad a DUB for not listing his vendor, he has a Corvette shop for a living, chastising a vendor makes it harder for him to run his business and makes it harder to get parts for his customers.

familiar with the phrase this thread is worthless until dub names names...BEWARE, beware of who?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Agreed name needs to be said to protect customers before they buy not after.Sucks to have to go to this extreme but, maybe its time to bring this to a lawyers attention before anyone gets hurt from the rotors being so thin.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

What state is the vendor in?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
What state is the vendor in?
$20 says Florida.

Get notified of new replies

To ***warning***buyer beware*** warning***

Old 05-12-2017, 01:29 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
$20 says Florida.
I wouldn't take that bet.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike

If you have to know there is always the private message system. Ask DUB there.

I agree minimum after refresh means that the rotors will most likely wear to throwaway thickness during the life of the new pads just put on. If it were me and they were below the minimum refresh thickness but above the throw away thickness I'd toss them and I'm a DYI Corvette owner on a budget. Brakes are the one system I don't go half-*** on EVER.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

So I'll partially side with the vendor and venture a guess and say 8 times out of 10 a customer will complain if those rotors were discarded without being at the 'discard' thickness.

Quick Reply: ***warning***buyer beware*** warning***