Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

The Force Awakens...

Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Dub, thanks for all the detailed feedback: MUCH appreciated !
The following users liked this post:
DUB (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Received 2,514 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by DorianC3 View Post
And yes, I would reeeeeeally like to get a proper Q-jet back on there...
Not meaning to 'rain on your parade'...BUT...do you have a photo of what the intake manifold looked like when you took the carburetor off??? I am concerned with the flat surface that the carburetor was set on.

I also believe that the intake is not a facotry intake...because I know I can be wrong...but I have never seen a straight runner intake on a Corvette from the facotry for yoru year model.

Usually...a straight runner intake is more for an engine that is going to be run at higher RPM's. And the reason for this is that due to the straight runners..the air fuel mix does not have a lot of turns to further break of the fuel droplets. So...in a lower RPM situation..raw fuel can be going into the cylinders....and as we all know...raw fuel does not burn. its is the vapors that ignite.

YES..I do have a few customers that have this design of intake on a car driven on the street...and I am not saying that it can not be used. But this intake likes it is the air going into it is at the velocity and ramming the air/fuel mix into the cylinders....and due to the RPMs being higher...it will not load up with raw fuel and being to run crappy. Obviously the carburetor makes a huge difference also in how the engine can run with this design of intake manifold.

I feel that this intake may not allow a Quadra-Jet to just bolt on due to the mounting surface.

DUB
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 PM
SFOcean

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DUB, the intake looks like an Edelbrock Torker II. You can see the Edelbrock script just behind the thermostat housing. The carb pad is rotated a bit from square with the car and is designed for a square bore carb. Manifold works ok on a 350 or bigger SBC that turns 5500 or more. Dual plane is better below 5000RPM

Last edited by SFOcean; 11-30-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2017, 01:03 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mjmike View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new C3!

I noticed you said that the engine was from a 72 corvette, can you post the engine stamp pad info?
I suspect this was not original stamping. The car is a confirmed 1969 L46. The stamp is consistent but in a 0014 block with 882 heads ???
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:06 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SFOcean View Post
DUB, the intake looks like an Edelbrock Torker II. You can see the Edelbrock script just behind the thermostat housing. The carb pad is rotated a bit from square with the car and is designed for a square bore carb. Manifold works ok on a 350 or bigger SBC that turns 5500 or more. Dual plane is better below 5000RPM
On careful inspection, I do think it is a first generation Torker. I really like the vintage look with clean oil filler tube.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:08 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
Not meaning to 'rain on your parade'...BUT...do you have a photo of what the intake manifold looked like when you took the carburetor off??? I am concerned with the flat surface that the carburetor was set on.

I also believe that the intake is not a facotry intake...because I know I can be wrong...but I have never seen a straight runner intake on a Corvette from the facotry for yoru year model.

Usually...a straight runner intake is more for an engine that is going to be run at higher RPM's. And the reason for this is that due to the straight runners..the air fuel mix does not have a lot of turns to further break of the fuel droplets. So...in a lower RPM situation..raw fuel can be going into the cylinders....and as we all know...raw fuel does not burn. its is the vapors that ignite.

YES..I do have a few customers that have this design of intake on a car driven on the street...and I am not saying that it can not be used. But this intake likes it is the air going into it is at the velocity and ramming the air/fuel mix into the cylinders....and due to the RPMs being higher...it will not load up with raw fuel and being to run crappy. Obviously the carburetor makes a huge difference also in how the engine can run with this design of intake manifold.

I feel that this intake may not allow a Quadra-Jet to just bolt on due to the mounting surface.

DUB
Yes. The return of the Q-jet will happen. My plan is a 383, but I do want as much as possible to preserve OEM looks. It may not be with this intake, as much as I like its looks, but the Q-jet will be back. ;-)

Last edited by DorianC3; 12-01-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:18 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Right, Gentlemen,

Itís 0700... Iíve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, itís dark and Iím wearing sunglasses.

Itís off to Belgian DOT tech inspection to get a certificate of European conformity I go

Wish me luck !

Hit it !!!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2017, 03:44 AM
NeverTooOld
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The aftermarket single plane intakes with their short large cross section runners are intended for continuous high rpm use whereas the OEM dual plane intakes with their longer and smaller cross section runners are intended for "off idle" to 6000 rpm use. Although the single plane intakes will work for street engines they give up a lot of low to mid range torque. With the OEM style dual plane intake and QuadraJet you'll get the benefit of increased low to mid range torque And the best fuel mileage. And the QuadraJet will prevent the "over throttle" condition that produces a huge flat spot on the low end..
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Right, Gentlemen,

Itís 0700... Iíve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, itís dark and Iím wearing sunglasses.

Itís off to Belgian DOT tech inspection to get a certificate of European conformity I go

Wish me luck !

Hit it !!!!
I hope it passes with flying colors!!!!!!!

DUB
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 305 Posts

Right, Gentlemen,

Wish me luck !

Hit it !!!!
Good Luck !
Old 12-03-2017, 03:02 PM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Yay !!!! It passed tech. License plates by the end of next week if all goes well. A memorable comment by one of the inspectors was: ďthereís no way for me to tell if any of this OEM, Iíve never seen one of these.Ē

Yesterday evening was the first time I drove this fella. Handling was pretty decent. Braking, for non-power, was pretty good too. Steering (eventually to be converted to rack and pinion) is fine for what it is.

I did notice that low end throttle response is dismal as several properly called. Moving off the line requires more concentration and balancing of gas and clutch than it should. It also seems to prefer upper RPM. I have no idea what can is in there. But that Torker wil eventually have to go. Itís an open plenum. (A spin off thread for that elsewhere.)

Man, it burns through gasoline !!!!

The timing tab is missing, so Iíll have to find TDC next weekend and reset it. That might help things along a little.

Other things that I have found; that someone has cared for it and it did see use at least until 1999. ;-)

Iím also finding a lot of weird, disconnected wires. Trim screws missing here and there. Rear window tray doesnít open. Wood from storage compartments are disintegrating.

...and the keys only only work on the ignition, not the doors.
Attached Images    
Old 12-03-2017, 03:06 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Man, it burns through gasoline ! And you have a "Big Grin" while doing it !
Congratulations !
Old 12-03-2017, 03:20 PM
c3_dk
CF Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

Hi there,

Super nice 69.
I have the 69 manual as PDF, I can Skype/drop box it to you?

Thx,
John
Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM
c3_dk
CF Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

BTW regarding the block, HW =L46
Does the # number on the block match the title # number?
882 heads is not the correct for the L46 engine, correct L46 heads for your car is 186 heads with 2.02/1.6 valves.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

The timing tab is missing, so Iíll have to find TDC next weekend and reset it. That might help things along a little.
As you might already know...GM makes to different designs of timing tabs...and that is due to whatever the diameter of the harmonic balancer actually is will determine which one you need.

Also..as I have written numerous times and I will write it again. Keep in mind that the outer ring of the harmonic balancer can spin...so it throws off where the notch is located in relation to TRUE TDC. I never assume that the balancer is correct on cars that car in my shop for a tune-up.

I use a vacuum gauge when setting the timing and test drive it...and then I will use my timing light and read what the timing is showing me. In some scenarios...the advance timing light I have is so far off of what I know it should read...that sets off warning bells in my head and lets me know that the notch is off.

Some customers pay me to either replace the balancer...or at least go through the process to find true TDC and mark it on the balancer. Then..I check it again and see that the timing light is giving me numbers that are more correct.

DUB
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by c3_dk View Post
BTW regarding the block, HW =L46
Does the # number on the block match the title # number?
882 heads is not the correct for the L46 engine, correct L46 heads for your car is 186 heads with 2.02/1.6 valves.
The last 6 digits do indeed match my VIN.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 AM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

Received 427 Likes on 360 Posts

On my 73, the ignition key and door locks are two separate keys.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:29 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
On my 73, the ignition key and door locks are two separate keys.
Well, the keys to the doors must still be in Cleveland ;-)
Old 12-08-2017, 12:02 PM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

So good news and well, poor news.

The good news is that my license plates and mityvac came in buuuuut. I still canít drive it. The gas tank is Swiss cheese.
Attached Images      
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You may have a "build sheet" on the top of the tank so it's at least something to look forward too. Btw, if the sheet is there after removing the tank just use a razor blade to get under it and slowly remove. It worked for me.
Great car, minor setbacks. Enjoy it for years to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Force Awakens...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: