C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal in my oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal in my oil filter

CF forum, a while ago I had posted a thread where after taking my oil pan apart I found a silver sludge and a lot of metal shavings.
Since the motor was an unmolested original 43,000 mile engine, it was suggested that I run it for a 1,000 miles and then open the oil filter and check the filter elements. The opinion was if it was the only time the engine was ever opened, it also included motor break in.
So, here are pictures of the oil filament stretched open.
My question for the forum is...too much? How much metal is normal, should I never have metal? The one area I am always a student is with the motors. I’m a wrench turner not a motor builder, so I need to know if it’s time to rebuild or how you think I should proceed.
I have great pressure, no knocks, and no smoke...so I’m not sure if I need to do anything yet!

This was after I cleaned the oil pan completely when I replaced the gasket. I also ran 3 quarts of oil thru and drained those before running a fresh filter and oil.
I’m eager to hear your opinion...Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Question back to you: Have you been using oil with zinc all along or switched to something "on the shelf." The metal flake does not appear to be a wiped cam lobe however, which usually shows up as more shiny. The Chevy orange paint specs has me baffled unless its from the oil pan itself. I find it hard to believe any of those flakes are from the original break-in 43K miles ago. That would have been flushed out yrs ago.
I think your next oil change will determine wether a rebuild is in order but for now use a top tier filter and maybe attach a magnet on that or the pan and see what happens next.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Try scraping the debris off onto a clean rag then pour a little bit of gasoline onto it to wash the oil off. It looks like you have a lot of little paint chips and other stuff but the picture isn't sharp enough for me to see any metal pieces. Does it hold good oil pressure when it's at full operating temperature?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Something very bad is happening inside that motor. Better start planning for a rebuild. Not trying to be negative, just a heads up.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Something very bad is happening inside that motor. Better start planning for a rebuild. Not trying to be negative, just a heads up.
I have to agree. There is no reason for "pieces" of anything to be present. It's not a coffee filter.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I feel that the debris you are looking at may be due to how you cut the filter open. It can give you a false positive.

Some may feel this is a waste of money....while others believe in them 100%. No need to cut open a filter to see what is going on and they have magnets inside them. Possibly worth checking out

http://gopurepower.com/autos/

Look at post #6 and #15
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

****EDIT****

Here as of lately....I have been dealing with many engines that when I go in and replace valve cover gaskets or even an oil pan gasket. When I take these parts off...due to these engines not being run on a consistent basis. I am actually seeing rust scale on the inside of these parts. Some can be so bad that when I wipe it with my finger. I get some of the grittiness off and can fell it in between my finger tips.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Unless the filter wasn't orange.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The paint is my fault

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Question back to you: Have you been using oil with zinc all along or switched to something "on the shelf." The metal flake does not appear to be a wiped cam lobe however, which usually shows up as more shiny. The Chevy orange paint specs has me baffled unless its from the oil pan itself. I find it hard to believe any of those flakes are from the original break-in 43K miles ago. That would have been flushed out yrs ago.
I think your next oil change will determine wether a rebuild is in order but for now use a top tier filter and maybe attach a magnet on that or the pan and see what happens next.
The orange flakes are from me removing the valve covers a few months ago. I pulled them to change gaskets and while I was in there I gave the engine a fresh valve job.
What surprised me was the amount of metal I found in between the elements. I cut open the filter using a cut off wheel at the very top hoping not to contaminate the filter.
I like the reusable filter but the cost kinda took the wind out of my sail...so I gotta think on that.
I will definitely pull my filter again and open using snips and see what I got.
Thank you everyone
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

After you cut the filter open, take a knife and cut out a section of the filter media with several folds, keep it folded and put it in your vise and squeeze the oil out of it. When you remove it from the vise and stretch it out, there will be no oil left, only whatever debris was present. Much easier to see what's really there. I work on heavy Equipment and do this daily, I have filter cutters that open it up like a coffee can using cutter wheels.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that all the metal debris in your pics was from using a cut off wheel to open up the filter and from the new valve cover gaskets and valve job. Good luck with the next one and use the tin snips carefully.
Duane

Last edited by Duane4238; 12-09-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80532...annel=Shopping

Sorry -- This is the correct tool to cut open an oil filter.

Last edited by TimAT; 12-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yeh, cutoff wheel could definitely be the cause. Use a pipe cutter or specific oil filter cutter tool, they're not thyat expensive. If it isn't contamination from cutting open the filter (and my bet is that it is), you've a big problem there - I had nowhere near that amount of material in my filter even after first startup/breakin.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I would drop your oil pan and see how much debris is in the oil pick up screen. You have a lot of debris in that oil filter.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I would drop your oil pan and see how much debris is in the oil pick up screen. You have a lot of debris in that oil filter.
Pan is off. See first post.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The first post is unclear if the pan is presently off, or was off previously and now has been run recheck the filter.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:37 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It doesn't appear to be the kind of metal particles I would expect from a dying engine. I believe it is debris from opening the filter, also.

Do as suggested above: brush debris into a cup/bowl, wash it with solvent and drain off most of the solvent. Then take a good look. Paint chips have to be from the filter housing; metal shavings probably are also.

Get notified of new replies

To Metal in my oil filter

Quick Reply: Metal in my oil filter