C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight/fiber optics question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Headlight/fiber optics question

In my seemingly never ending quest to fix everything that's wrong with my '69 I turned my attention towards getting the fiber optics system working. The system for the rear lights work but most of the front system doesnt work. The turn signal/parking light indicators work but all four of the headlight indicators don't. The reason why is because the little rubber pieces of vacuum tubing that slip over the glass nipples on the headlights that channel light to the fiber optics cables were missing. A simple enough fix I thought until I noticed that one of the high beam headlights doesn't have the little glass nipple on it. And of course none of the local auto parts stores have a high beam headlight with the nipple on it so for the moment I'm screwed, only three of the four headlight indicators will work because I can't find a high beam headlight with a nipple on the back of it. Does anybody make them anymore and if so who is the manufacturer and what is the part number? I want to get a full set of low beams and high beams to have for spares on top of getting a high beam light to replace the one in the car right now that doesn't have the nipple. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi G,
I believe there are reproduction lamps available that have the required glass nipple.
Have you looked at the larger vendors like ZIP, Corvette Central and Paragon?
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan

There is a little black plastic 'tube about 1/2" long that slips over the nipple to help direct the light into the fiber optic strand. that part of the electrical connector.
Look for those too... they help.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES. Alan71 is correct....the correct bulbs with the small glass tubes at the back of the capsule are offered by the Corvette vendors.

As for buying the black tubes...if that is what you have to do to make it the way you want it.

I use a white plastic tube and cut them. BUT... a vast majority of my customers are not worried about it being judged to death. They want it to work the best it can. And knowing that the inside of light housings and such have a reflective surface....which is not black...I chose to use a white tube. I have never checked to see if it increases the intensity of the fiber optic. And I do use a section of black heat shrink over the white tube for those customers who need the fine details to be correct as possible.

DUB
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The light fibers SHOULD only take on light that is emitted directly in line with them (rather than reflected light). But, using white tubing should not cause any downside and might increase light level a bit. It is most important that the end of the light fiber be clean and polished, and that the lamp source is also clean and very near the fiber. Any attached lens must be highly polished, as well. Those get dull with age and it can really cut the amount of light reaching the fiber optic cable ends.

To be honest, I never really worried too much about the indicators not being brightly lit. You can't really see them in daylight, and if you can see them at night, that will tell you those bulbs are burning.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-25-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I figured that with the tube being white and possibly allowing more reflective light. It could not hurt.

I do agree that the lenses in the car are very important. And from my experiences. The reproduction ones are often times crap . Especially the rear ones. I can go through about 6-8 of them til I find one that is right. The problem with the rear ones is the tube that holds the fiber optic cable that is made to bend the light 90 degrees. if that flat spot is not perfect...it will disrupt the light and make it not be like the others .

YEP the fiber optics are basically useless during the day. But at night they want them to be the same. Which they can find out real quick can be a labor intensive task at best.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight/fiber optics question

Quick Reply: Headlight/fiber optics question