C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's never just one thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:35 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Like the title says, it is never just one thing..... So there one more "ah-ha" that I wanted to post as a follow up. If anyone reading this chooses to go with the Global West arms in a coil spring application, there is one thing to look out for. The control arms use a hard rubber or poly cushion to index the bottom of the spring.

If you buy the arms through a box store like Jegs or Summit, the cushion included will most likely be for stock spring. I run the 550-lb spring from Ecklers, which is just a bit larger in diameter than stock. Not much different but enough to cause fitment issues.

Pic below is how the 550-lb spring fits (or doesn't fit) into the cushion:

The part number for the default cushion is 4012. You will have to get with global west and order the cushion with part number 4013. Picture of how it fits below:

Last edited by cooper9811; 03-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
76strokervette (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper9811
Like the title says, it is never just one thing..... So there one more "ah-ha" that I wanted to post as a follow up. If anyone reading this chooses to go with the Global West arms in a coil spring application, there is one thing to look out for. The control arms use a hard rubber or poly cushion to index the bottom of the spring.

If you buy the arms through a box store like Jegs or Summit, the cushion included will most likely be for stock spring. I run the 550-lb spring from Ecklers, which is just a bit larger in diameter than stock. Not much different but enough to cause fitment issues.

Pic below is how the 550-lb spring fits (or doesn't fit) into the cushion:

Good "heads-up" tip!!!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been meaning to follow up with how the control arms affected handling. The arms I purchased were the Global West arms designed specifically for the C3. They have the delrin bushings, come with pretty beefy ball joints, and have an additional 4 degrees castor built into the upper arms.

The car handled well before - but after the control arm swap and alignment, this thing feels seriously planted on the road, and it corners like it is on rails. the extra castor, along with the delrin bushings really improves the feeling of stability. Really happy with the swap, even with the aftermarket spring fitment issue.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (01-03-2019)

Quick Reply: It's never just one thing...