C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 06:51 PM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Door Gap (fontking1a)

I wish you were one of my customers.Whenever I try to tell them that these cars were never perfect,even from the factory.When they were brand new ,they were wavy and the body alignment would not do well under the "ball bearing" test. :seeya
Old 10-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Door Gap (es)

It's most likely just GM's wonderful fit and finish. I had similar gaps on my 76. The top was 1/2" and the bottom 1/8" at the front. The fit of the door and sid window to the rest of the body, windshiled, and t-tops is good so the door was aligned properly. My car didn't have a lot of rust except for the floor pans where your feet go (probably from salt & water during winter time in Indiana).

The front ends of these cars are just bonded on, and my car seems to be structurally OK, I concluded it is just the fit of the front end panels. If that is the case - well, you have 2 choices. Remove the front end and realign (or buy a new one) -- yuk :U , or customize the front fenders to eliminate the gap. I had to "feather" the back edge of the fender by grinding down the fiber glass, apply a piece of fiber glass to the inside & outside of the fender, fill in with a long strand fiberglass type of body filler, grind/sand a consistant door gap, and finish off the body work by using a finer body filler.

Took me several weeks working on it after work. Not an easy job, but doable if you have done fiber glass work before. I know have a consistant 1/8" gap all the way down the door. The "bent" look of the car is a thing of the past. Thank goodness. :D :D

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/greatwhite/
Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Robert777
6th Gear

Hey guys I own a 79 and this reply is for you who are interested in door gaps. The bevel in the middle of the door will make it virtually impossible to alleviate the entire problem it's the design of the body that has created this issue and will always remain. You can like some of these guys are saying shave the doors in the front to change the profile a little and do some minor adjusting to the door hinges to correct the issue it depends on how technical you want to get..just shining the hindges is good enough .These cars were produced with this flaw due to like I was saying the design of the body and if you find one that looks perfect then it is because some one took the time to change and alter the specifics discussed . body shims can work for you to but I suggest you be careful..And as the individual who has mentioned the frame being bent... That's a bunch of hogwash....
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No disrespect, but this thread is thirteen years old.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Robert,
Welcome!
2 interesting posts from you already!
Have you shined the hindges on your 79 and has it helped the bevel?
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Robert777
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
It's most likely just GM's wonderful fit and finish. I had similar gaps on my 76. The top was 1/2" and the bottom 1/8" at the front. The fit of the door and sid window to the rest of the body, windshiled, and t-tops is good so the door was aligned properly. My car didn't have a lot of rust except for the floor pans where your feet go (probably from salt & water during winter time in Indiana).

The front ends of these cars are just bonded on, and my car seems to be structurally OK, I concluded it is just the fit of the front end panels. If that is the case - well, you have 2 choices. Remove the front end and realign (or buy a new one) -- yuk , or customize the front fenders to eliminate the gap. I had to "feather" the back edge of the fender by grinding down the fiber glass, apply a piece of fiber glass to the inside & outside of the fender, fill in with a long strand fiberglass type of body filler, grind/sand a consistant door gap, and finish off the body work by using a finer body filler.

Took me several weeks working on it after work. Not an easy job, but doable if you have done fiber glass work before. I know have a consistant 1/8" gap all the way down the door. The "bent" look of the car is a thing of the past. Thank goodness.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/greatwhite/
Definitely is task and undertaking that you would go thru that so meticulously because to maintain such tight of a closure you would have to definitely reshape the fenders and the doors
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert777
Definitely is task and undertaking that you would go thru that so meticulously because to maintain such tight of a closure you would have to definitely reshape the fenders and the doors
Don't know what you're referring to "reshape fender & door". Here's mine where we tightened the gaps quite a bit. Only real modification was to grind a relief on the back of the fender about 3/4 of the way up to clear the door as it opens.

Name:  IMG_0439_zps1300b54a.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  53.8 KB

Quick Reply: Door Gap