C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower body or raise diff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 02:37 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Lower body or raise diff?

1979 Coupe - frame is getting a full weld/gusset job and I'll be installing a 6 point roll bar.

I'm replacing the rubber body mounts with aluminum. The aluminum mounts are 68-72 replacements and are about 1/2 the thickness of the rubber bushings. As such, the body is going do be "lower" than it was with the 79 rubber bushings. However, I'm also going to be solid mounting the rear diff and therefore have the option to raise the diff (I may even convert to the later aluminum batwing mount).

Am I better:
  • Using the 68-72 bushings, letting the body come "down" and limiting the amount the diff rises?
  • Machining new (thicker) bushings, keeping the body "up" and letting the diff come up more?

Last edited by ChrisLSx; 10-29-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Are you also lowering the suspension (ie using a longer bolt or whatever)? If so, then raising the diff will improve the rear suspension geometry, particularly toe change in bump. If you're not planning to lower the suspension then there's not really a gain in raising the diff. Personally, I'd lean towards doing both and then lowering the suspension less, butthat assumes that you're looking to lower the car a reasonable amount - it depends on how much you want to lower the car overall and what your aims/goals are.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:59 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Are you also lowering the suspension (ie using a longer bolt or whatever)? If so, then raising the diff will improve the rear suspension geometry, particularly toe change in bump. If you're not planning to lower the suspension then there's not really a gain in raising the diff. Personally, I'd lean towards doing both and then lowering the suspension less, butthat assumes that you're looking to lower the car a reasonable amount - it depends on how much you want to lower the car overall and what your aims/goals are.
Some, but I haven't sorted out how much yet. I'm about to pull the frame out from under the body, sand blast it and then seam weld it. I want to make my modifications before I have the frame powder coated, so I'm trying to think ahead.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:32 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

From your member name, sounds like you have an LS motor. Have you determined how your driveshaft geometry is changing?
Old 10-30-2020, 12:39 AM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ignatz
From your member name, sounds like you have an LS motor. Have you determined how your driveshaft geometry is changing?
No LS in this car. Over the past 20 years I've had a half dozen different vehicles (currently have a C5) with LS motors, but I'm going different (for me) with this 79. It's currently got the factory L48 and automatic, but that's being replaced with a 496 and a T56.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower body or raise diff?

Quick Reply: Lower body or raise diff?