Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Xtralights HID Conversion Kit

Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
There's no wiring anything separately. All that's needed is to ground the relay coil somewhere besides the high beam headlight power supply circuit. Turning on the high beam lites applies power to the what is normally the ground circuit for the fog lite relay coil, so the fog lites go out when you turn on the high beams. So the obvious answer is to ground it somewhere else. Not that I even care about any of that. I just don't want to be dorking around with a stupid marker light bulb or a resistor somewhere that clearly doesn't belong.
I "dorked around" with the resister with my JW Speakers. I sure wish you could explain what you did and how and where you grounded the relay. I suspect a picture is way too much to ask, but I will! Thank You, Dan
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
I agree grounding the relay was super easy with the FSM. I installed the Truck Lite LEDs and grounding the relay was easier than installing the actual headlights! Also installing the resistors does not take advantage of the LEDs low current draw on the factory wiring. Grounding the relay allows the driving lights to be on with the high beams.
You mean the fog lights? Why would you need both high beams and fog lights? It is difficult enough to drive in fog and the high beams really makes it harder.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
You mean the fog lights? Why would you need both high beams and fog lights? It is difficult enough to drive in fog and the high beams really makes it harder.
Do you only use your fog lights when it is foggy? I would like the fog lights on with high beams sometimes. Dan
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

May be out of style and date, I went with a set of Hella headlights. great quality and I can see to drive at night. Yeah there are heavy made out of real glass and are very effective. Easy to install, easy to replace the bulb if and when needed....
Old 11-15-2017, 07:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Do you only use your fog lights when it is foggy? I would like the fog lights on with high beams sometimes. Dan
I need the minimum of running lights (no headlights) and fog lights for foggy situations. I might turn on the low beams (obviously with running lights) with the fog lights but even if I could, I wouldn't do high beams with fog lights in fog situation. In my experience the high beam seems to reflect off the fog way too much that it makes it harder to see. Low beams are an acceptable compromise between being seen by others and you being able to see without the light reflecting in an annoying manner. Just what is comfortable for me. YMMV
Old 11-15-2017, 08:19 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
I agree grounding the relay was super easy with the FSM. I installed the Truck Lite LEDs and grounding the relay was easier than installing the actual headlights! Also installing the resistors does not take advantage of the LEDs low current draw on the factory wiring. Grounding the relay allows the driving lights to be on with the high beams.
Thank you. This is what I suspected all along.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

I "dorked around" with the resister with my JW Speakers. I sure wish you could explain what you did and how and where you grounded the relay. I suspect a picture is way too much to ask, but I will! Thank You, Dan
Photos?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

First, you probably actually needed the resistors for your speakers. Second, I haven't actually done this project yet, partially because (until now) I didn't understand the requirements. Once I do though, I will update this thread accordingly.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Very confused now. Do the fog lights not work at all (without a resistor/ground fix) or do they only not work with high beams?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renfield
Very confused now. Do the fog lights not work at all (without a resistor/ground fix) or do they only not work with high beams?
Apparently they don't work at all.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Renfield
Drifting

I use the hell out of my fogs. Guess I'll have to crack that FSM and do some head scratching.

I'm excited to see the results now. Had been planning to do the E code Hellas, but I was not keen on redoing the wiring for the higher amps. Grounding the fog relay should be a simple fix.

Last edited by Renfield; 11-15-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

When I installed the JW Speakers I had the resister unit standing by. Just for kicks I tried to just plug in the new bulbs and see if the fogs worked. They did NOT. I installed just one of the two resister units and both fogs worked perfect. Dan
Old 11-15-2017, 09:32 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

When I installed the JW Speakers ...
I thought you meant actual speakers....
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM
aklim
Team Owner

When I installed the JW Speakers I had the resister unit standing by. Just for kicks I tried to just plug in the new bulbs and see if the fogs worked. They did NOT. I installed just one of the two resister units and both fogs worked perfect. Dan
Maybe Genssi is somehow different. Resistor in either light doesn't help, IIRC. BOTH or none was the answer for my case.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Renfield
Drifting

I'll snap some photos when I get the grounding fingered out.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html

this thread goes into detail. Dan
Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Thanks for that link. I get splicing in the bulb, which I don't want to do. But am still unclear on splicing the ground at the relay.

He writes that you cut the wire 2" from the relay, then attach a 6" length of 18 gauge or better with a ring connector, etc. Okay, I am that guy. The wire is cut in two. To which end do I attach the 6" extension? Relay side, or wherever the other side goes?

Get notified of new replies

To Xtralights HID Conversion Kit

Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Thanks for that link. I get splicing in the bulb, which I don't want to do. But am still unclear on splicing the ground at the relay.

He writes that you cut the wire 2" from the relay, then attach a 6" length of 18 gauge or better with a ring connector, etc. Okay, I am that guy. The wire is cut in two. To which end do I attach the 6" extension? Relay side, or wherever the other side goes?
Relay side.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Relay side.
Excellent. Does this mean that the light green line goes to the high beam filament at the headlamp? If so one might expect to achieve the same effect with an under hood jumper.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Excellent. Does this mean that the light green line goes to the high beam filament at the headlamp? If so one might expect to achieve the same effect with an under hood jumper.
I couldn't say for sure about the wire colors without the correct wiring schematic. Having said that, I would find the fog lamp relay and ground the coil side somewhere nearby the relay and not under the hood, but that's more personal preference than anything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xtralights HID Conversion Kit