C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mad As Hell With Em

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM
LTjuan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I will say is last fall EM pulled and rebuilt my tranny on only my word that it was making noises that healed itself on the drive over to their shop. This was warrenty work on the rebuild they did last spring. Long story short two months after they pulled my tranny for free and rebuilt it we found out the real problem. Totaly unrelated and aside from some joking, they made no comments on the work they did for free. Merle does stand behind his work and I am sure he is getting the run around from his fab person. But I do agree he should have called and told you that, at the very least.

On another note if what you order does not fit why mess with it. You send it back and move on. Once you start cutting, I am not sure how you resolve the problem. You cant send the product back they way you got it and I am not sure how he makes it right with you, if your mods and replating cost more then the headers did to start with.

Zix knows those guys very well so I assume you will get a call very shortly.

Good Luck

John
Old 04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardioil
JEFNTSA
FROM WHAT THE VETTE SHOP THINKS IS THE HEATER BOX IS SHAPED DIFFERENT IN 93 THEN 87 AND 89 THEIR HAS TO BE SOME KIND A CHANGE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTANT FOR THE LT1s..
regards

Bacardioil, I dont believe it is the heater box is different. If the L98 hooker and headman headers fit a LT1 then why wouldnt these? Personally I believe it may be they were designed for a true race car which would not have a heater box in it or they were flat out just made wrong.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merle is probably one of the better straight shooters in the aftermarket world. I've never had a issue with them in my dealings.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
bacardioil
Pro

hi guys
update
trevor call me about 3 my time also call the vette shop. when i was talking to the trevor the vette shop was returning trevors call to them. trevors calling me back tonight. i dont know yet whats going to come out of this yet but it looks like it will be worked out. guys i dont like doing things like this, like i said this is not my style. like i said earlier, the headers were very well made. there is no way i could tell you guys they were made poorly, we were all very impressed with them. my problem was fitment. like trevor and i agreed this should have never went this far. i feel bad for EM that something like this happened. trevor remembers the first time we talked about headers and that i wanted the new 1 3/4 step ups and like i said merle wanted me to go with the 1 7/8s because of the power my new engine would be making. there is no way merle was wrong. hes ok., was looking for whats best for me. guys iam writing this on my own, no deals were made for me to stop this thread. the headers are top of the line, problem fitment. who knows maybe the fab man had a bad night before and bent the tubes wrong, ha anything can happen. iam sure you guy know about a bad night. iam telling you guys again THE HEADERS ARE TOP NOTCH. thats why i went to EM in the first place. i'll keep you all posted but i think this will be the last of this.
thanks guys
best thing i ever did was join this forum you guys are great
again thank you gene

Last edited by bacardioil; 04-13-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:46 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

I understand you say they look top notch, but if they don't fit then they are NOT TOP NOTCH now are they?

When you buy someting expecting to fit, you'd expect it to FIT without all that extra BS work.. right?
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope they will refund a few hundred bucks for the extra works, labor cost involved. As I have mentioned earlier. You are the first and only one try this race style header on our C4. Good luck man.
Bruce
Melting Slicks

I hope they will refund a few hundred bucks for the extra works, labor cost involved. As I have mentioned earlier. You are the first and only one try this race style header on our C4. Good luck man.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Hey bacardi,
can ya take some pics of the headers on the car and post 'em?
Thanx
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 PM
bacardioil
Pro

mr nuke
when i say top notch, i mean the headers were well made. like bruce just said no one has try the 1 7/8 headers if it took me to have the problem. iam very sure the vette shop told em what was wrong. iam not sticking up for em believe me. iam very sure em will check an fix the problem quick and you guy will have one hell of a set headers to go to. better this only happened once. i dont know whats really going on yet, but will keep all updated.
thanks again
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 PM
bacardioil
Pro

paul
iam calling the vette shop in the morning i will ask them if they will take photos. believe me the headers are nice, but i had a problem with the fitment. if its taken care of i'll be one happy camper with them and you guys will be able to get a nice set of headers.
i'll keep you up dated.
regards gene
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
bacardioil
Pro

93 rag top
you know i never thought of that, you could be right.
regards
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry for the original posters fitment issues.

I installed a set of Exotic Muscle (EM) headers on my '96 Vette and the quality is excellent. The fit of the headers is superb and the only change needed is a reversal of the drivers side engine mounting bolt.

What did suck (and I've posted on this before) is that the "extensions" do not work for an automatic transmission.

Other than that point, EM has provided an excellent product.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:07 AM
bacardioil
Pro

dan
just so you know i have the racing headers 1 7/8. i also have the 4l80e trans installed. the vette shop has no problems with the the pipes going around the trans. they had problems with two of the pipes. one on one side and one on the other. the trans area is not a problem like your talking about. if you read the thread nothing bad has been said about the headers themself but two of the tubes. merle told us about the bolt, thats not the problem. if you read the thread you may find out why iam mad.
regards

Last edited by bacardioil; 04-14-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:00 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The first problem is 1 7/8 inch headers.What heads do you have on the car.I have mine installed on Brodax 11x and before that AFR's 220.
I have 1 7/8 headers on my 86 and they fit great .
I beat the crap out of my $1400.00 headers at the front of the starter and on the passenger side frame.The tube diameter is so big that to fit between the car frame and engine it's not good.I can tell you if you got the right headers #3 spark plug will not fit,the header pipe rests right up against the spark plug boot.If you want some laughs I can send pics of mine.If I could do it again I would have gong with cheap ones and called it a day.I could have done alot of banging for $1400.00 on crappy headers and felt alot better.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM
jordis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
You sound like you'd be a good fellow to work for. The shop where I work has to eat jobs sometimes. Sometimes because we screwed up and sometimes just to satisfy a customer.

haha, not in the car business...but the company i work for just lost $70,000 in two jobs...i can relate to the problems...its gotta suck when its your money (instead of corporate).

CJ
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

If I get the chance, I'll stop by EM tomorrow and causually bring up the subject. I had them do my install, so it was easy for them to tell what mods were necessary. Also, remember that Trevor is the head mechanic, but Merle is the owner, so the final decision is his. He's a good guy and straight-shooter, but he is also a businessman. I wish you the best, they are high-quality headers.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 AM
bacardioil
Pro

lichen
today is sat. trevor was going to call me thursday night. that never happened. i just dont understand EMs practices, if you going to call me then call. i should get the respect of the phone call. i dont like being in the dark. they have my business and cell number. i just dont get it. it took being on the forum to get a call back. here we go again.
regards

Get notified of new replies

To Mad As Hell With Em

Old 04-16-2006, 08:00 AM
bacardioil
Pro

guys
this is EMs customer service. this could happen to any one of you guys also.
regards

Last edited by bacardioil; 04-16-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardioil
lichen
today is sat. trevor was going to call me thursday night. that never happened. i just dont understand EMs practices, if you going to call me then call. i should get the respect of the phone call. i dont like being in the dark. they have my business and cell number. i just dont get it. it took being on the forum to get a call back. here we go again.
regards
I just talked to Trevor last night, and brought this situation up in passing again and he told me that he was waiting for a call back from your shop about the mods that needed to be done to the headers so that they can work something out in terms of some reimbursement?

Maybe he's waiting for that call before calling you because there might not be much else he can do over the phone. I know he talked to your shop about some of the basics, but I think he was waiting for some more specifics.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
bacardioil
Pro

zix
i'll see what happens monday when i hear from the vette shop. when i talked to trevor thursday he was very sincere about taking care of this matter, but there was only so much he could do because he was not the owner. trevor was honest and i respect that and that it should have never have gone this far.
zix more then likely, you are right about why he didnt call me back, like i said, trevor sounded very sincere.
regards gene

Quick Reply: Mad As Hell With Em