C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

It's the washers!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hooblyboobly
Couldn't someone just fab up their own washers out of sheet metal??? Might be cheaper than $7 each...
You're the kind of guy that brews his own beer aren't you?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
If I had the capability, I would. That's a great idea for the future.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hooblyboobly
Couldn't someone just fab up their own washers out of sheet metal??? Might be cheaper than $7 each...
Have you done a rear bearing R & R?

My time is worth more than the 7 bucks
Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Qiken
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

So just so I understand what you guys are talking about, is the "clicking" a one-time sound that you hear when starting from a dead stop or going from drive to reverse (versus a continuous noise you hear while cruising at any speed)? The two sounds I have had as long as I can remember is what I think is the "clicking" but I would call it a "clink"--sounds like it is coming from the rear (wheel area, not differential) and is like a metal-to-metal clink or clank that happens almost every time starting out from a dead stop. The other sound I have had is more of a loud "clunk" that sometimes happens when coasting to a lower speed and the trans shifts down (sounds like coming from the differential).

One time when the dealer addressed the "clink" the guy said something about tightening wheel spindle. So the next time I should ask them to check the washer??

Thanks,

Doug
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I resemble that remark
I have the Mr Beer kit. I only use it as a novelty. The beer is not too good.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
JA94vette
Pro

Thanks for the pics and everything...I will try these washers next as I have done wheel bearings 2x and grease and torque at least a dozen with no avail.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DougSilver
One time when the dealer addressed the "clink" the guy said something about tightening wheel spindle. So the next time I should ask them to check the washer??

Thanks,

Doug
If you can borrow a 36 mm socket and a long breaker bar, you can check to be sure the spindle nut is tight, for yourself. The spec is argued to be between 164 and 200 ft.lbs, so it isn't likely you will over tighten it. The labor to "check" the washer is the same as replacing the wheel bearings. It shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars to have the washers checked.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Camaro350z28
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i had this same problem i addressed months ago and got help from all you guys here. You pointed me towards the washers and then from lots of searching and wasting money on my car i came to the conclusion thats what it was.

I however did not go buy the washers i only decided to put anti seize on my old washers and put it back together just to see if it cured. It cured the problem and it has not came back for the 5 months it has been lubed. Soon as it does come back i will be replacing these washers.

I even got in a small argument with my step dad before hand. I told him what everone here said and he told me he dont see how a washer could be making the noise that it was doing. I lubed, it fixed.. and he still wants to believe otherwise.

Great write up and if you get the noise, just replace them. It a dumb problem that only annoys you.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM
vette079
Pro

Well, now my turn. Clicking noise only when taking a left turn and with the door open it really sounds like it´s coming from the wheel area. Same problem here? For about four or five months ago it started with a light click only when hitting bumps with the rear wheel so I thought it was shock related but now it got worse/louder with time but only in left hand turns. Maybe I should start taking right turns only instead until it get´s worse on that side as well... Just a thought. 1991 coupé aut. with 55000 aprox mls on it.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vette079
Well, now my turn. Clicking noise only when taking a left turn and with the door open it really sounds like it´s coming from the wheel area. Same problem here? For about four or five months ago it started with a light click only when hitting bumps with the rear wheel so I thought it was shock related but now it got worse/louder with time but only in left hand turns. Maybe I should start taking right turns only instead until it get´s worse on that side as well... Just a thought. 1991 coupé aut. with 55000 aprox mls on it.
My clicking problem was the universal joints on the drivers side haft shaft. They were old and worn and one of the caps was half broken. The clicking noise happened on turns and at low acceleration. I replaced them with a set of spicer joints w/o the grease fittings. Problem solved. A two foot socket extension set and Universal joint removal tool from Harbor freight was very useful.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 04-08-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
vette079
Pro

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
My clicking problem was the universal joints on the drivers side haft shaft. They were old and worn and one of the caps was half broken. The clicking noise happened on turns and at low acceleration. I replaced them with a set of spicer joints w/o the grease fittings. Problem solved. A two foot socket extension set and Universal joint removal tool from Harbor freight was very useful.
Now that I think of it, that might also be my problem. Had a mechanic look at it (rally driver) and he said that it wasn´t a bearing but might have something to do with the left rotor. I changed pads but not the rotors. He said it might be rust on the outer edges that can cause the clicking (more a crunching) sound. He thinks the caliper can scrape on the rotor, and clearances aren´t that big there so that might be it. Cheapest check first is now to take of the rear wheel(s) and see if I can clean them with a steel wire brush or something, then take it from there.

Last edited by vette079; 04-09-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: wrong typo
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette079
Now that I think of it, that might also be my problem. Had a mechanic look at it (rally driver) and he said that it wasn´t a bearing but might have something to do with the left rotor. I changed pads but not the rotors. He said it might be rust on the outer edges that can cause the clicking (more a crunching) sound. He thinks the caliper can scrape on the rotor, and clearances aren´t that big there so that might be it. Cheapest check first is now to take of the rear wheel(s) and see if I can clean them with a steel wire brush or something, then take it from there.
I'd take the wheels off and see if you can anything while turning it. Also check for play or noise in the half shaft area.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM
502SCS
Advanced

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
BTW part # is 14076924 and is about $7 from a dealer
Cheapest part I ever got from a stealership

The torx is a T55 and I used a 3/8 drive with a 6 in extension from behind
There are 3 of them I used a 3/8 breaker bar about 18in long to loosen them

The first one was a 45 min job the second (I did both) was about 20 min
This is how I am doing my job. Came off easy!
My washer was still there however rusted and deformed slightly.
Why doesnt the replacement hub come with this washer if it is needed on every job
Anyway the shaft not on my car came off with like 20 ft lbs of force..Good thing it had a pin
Will have to wait to finish the job till I can locate the washer. CAN YOU BELIEVE NO CHEVY DEALER IN ORLANDO AREA HAS THIS!!!
Closest one is 400 miles away .. lets see 400 miles x 4.00 gal = damn will have to have them order it.
Cant believe that a part that wears out on appearently every C4 built is not in stock ?? oh well ...
Thanks for the info...Also grease all these parts or leave dry?

Last edited by 502SCS; 05-14-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
96CEwGEARS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1irishprince
These weren't even on mine when I replaced the bearings! Are they a critical part. I got a used spindle off ebay and they sent me the wrong year, but it had a big, thin, metal flat washer on it...thought it might have been specific to those years (88-96), while I have an 86 which the spindle is shorter and doesnt have the thick boss that sticks past the ring. The diagram, now that I look at it, says it has a lip on one side that goes towards the spline???All the washers I have seen look just flat.? In another thread I had also asked about the "obsolete" hub bearing seal and figured the same with this washer...as I had no washer upon disassembly. But being as **** as I am when it comes to noises in the rear, I will pull the bearing back out when the washers come in and replace them!
Good to find this thread....just started getting a noise on my 96.

If I understand correctly, it's just the washer, not anything else that needs replacing?

I've got the cracking noise at ~ 7 mph (accelerating and decelerating w/out brake) and constant vibration at ~ 68 on the highway. Right side - I think - is the problem.

Would have thought this was a wheel bearing or cv joint but it's not always noticeable...any observations?

~ 47,000 miles on car.

Thanks.

Last edited by 96CEwGEARS; 05-14-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: obtw
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CEwGEARS
Good to find this thread....just started getting a noise on my 96.

If I understand correctly, it's just the washer, not anything else that needs replacing?

I've got the cracking noise at ~ 7 mph (accelerating and decelerating w/out brake) and constant vibration at ~ 68 on the highway. Right side - I think - is the problem.

Would have thought this was a wheel bearing or cv joint but it's not always noticeable...any observations?

~ 47,000 miles on car.

Thanks.
It could be a u joint, washer, or a bearing. Get it up a stands and investigate.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
JJ2000
Instructor

I just had the same exact problem with the clicking sound, 9 times out of ten after reading this post its gonna be in the hub, so before reading this thread I went out and bought new u joints and had my buddy that works at a chevy dealer take out the right half shaft and joints where the sound was coming from and they where fine, put new ones in anyway since it was out, but the problem was all the hub, they get real dry and there, just need to take apart and lube it up, solved my clicking noise, sounds to be a common problem with a lot of people, it only happend when starting out (forward and reverse) low mph, and under excelleration

Get notified of new replies

To It's the washers!!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
JJ2000
Instructor

bye the way my car only has 47k on it as well, so i was really questioning if it really was a u joint, guess i was right!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JJ2000
I just had the same exact problem with the clicking sound, 9 times out of ten
Did you take a poll or did you have the clicking noise ten different times.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
JJ2000
Instructor

HA HA, im just glad the problem is found and solved.. jumping for joy, no more odd looks from people in parking lots when noise occurs, makes car sound like its falling apart!

Quick Reply: It's the washers!!