C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Solid Rear project started! WOOHOO! Pics inside . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA
That's it, you're off my X-mas card list. lol
LOL
Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome to the solid axle club
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
I wanted to do a 9" and don't think he had it available at the time.

Also I knew I wanted to tub the car to fit as big of a tire as I wanted to so his stuff just didn't make sense for me. There is no way my wheel combo could work without tubbing. Plus we are doing a LOT more than just the rearend.

For others Jesse's kit sounds like a great setup!
Just for the record - I AM doing 9" version of the setup. And YES you will avoid having to do everything you see here...you won't even have to bleed the brakes if you use my kit and retain the stock brakes! . Not that the way he is doing it will not work or will not be just as good - i am sure his guy is knowledgable and will have it working well too. The solid rears in these car ARE THE TICKET. And by the spring you will see a few more fine examples.

I do not want to distract from the thread here so please do not repond in this thread.....you can email or IM me directly if people are interested. This is RUKWRK's thread - and he is doing a good illustration of his project. We shared some emails back and forth and I wish him the utmost success with his project. WELCOME TO THE DARK side - where actually things are MUCH better.

Last edited by ski_dwn_it; 12-05-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
Just for the record - I AM doing 9" version of the setup. And YES you will avoid having to do everything you see here...you won't even have to bleed the brakes if you use my kit and retain the stock brakes! . Not that the way he is doing it will not work or will not be just as good - i am sure his guy is knowledgable and will have it working well too. The solid rears in these car ARE THE TICKET. And by the spring you will see a few more fine examples.

I do not want to distract from the thread here so please do not repond in this thread.....you can email or IM me directly if people are interested. This is RUKWRK's thread - and he is doing a good illustration of his project. We shared some emails back and forth and I wish him the utmost success with his project. WELCOME TO THE DARK side - where actually things are MUCH better.
Thanks Jesse! I would LOVE to see more BAD C4's at the track so I hope your kit does well! And I'm sure it will, definitely a lot of folks want to do this it's just been cost prohibitive.

For those of you who are more industrious than me Jesse's kit seems like a no-brainer. I just happened to find a guy local who I was very impressed with and basically just wanted to turn the car over to an experienced guy and let him "do his thing." If he wouldn't have been local I would have been looking VERY hard at Jesse's kit.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
Welcome to the solid axle club
Which reminds me, just a quick shout out to some solid axle guys who have answered a lot of my annoying questions:

ski_dwn_it
tpi 421 vette
red L98
hookedup
wheelsup

I think that's everyone. If I missed you sorry!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which reminds me, just a quick shout out to some solid axle guys who have answered a lot of my annoying questions:

ski_dwn_it
tpi 421 vette
red L98
hookedup
wheelsup

I think that's everyone. If I missed you sorry!
Judging my your list above, are these all L-98 guys and you are the first LTX guy? Hmmmmm....
Old 12-05-2007, 04:41 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
Judging my your list above, are these all L-98 guys and you are the first LTX guy? Hmmmmm....
LOL, well someone has to represent the LTX guys right?

Hadn't really thought about it, but you are probably right, not too many solid rear C4's in general, even less LTX solid rear C4's, and even less back halved cars!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

2 others are Rlane5 and John Mackey. I liked the way Rlane5 did his, and he did it himself. Best I remember, he did it for about 3500 and that included new brakes. Some money could be saved going with standard brakes.
That is one cool looking car you have. Look forward to watching the build up and track results.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
2 others are Rlane5 and John Mackey. I liked the way Rlane5 did his, and he did it himself. Best I remember, he did it for about 3500 and that included new brakes. Some money could be saved going with standard brakes.
That is one cool looking car you have. Look forward to watching the build up and track results.
Thanks! I'll check out those guys as well. No way in hell I could do this myself though. Though I would of course love to save money wherever possible, when I'm spending this much what's another 500 or so for new (and much better) brakes? At least that was my thinking. Plus I just love how the Wilwood's look. Eventually I'll put em' on front as well. I don't really like the look of stock calipers either - the Wilwoods look soooo nice poking out through the wheels.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! I'll check out those guys as well. No way in hell I could do this myself though. Though I would of course love to save money wherever possible, when I'm spending this much what's another 500 or so for new (and much better) brakes? At least that was my thinking. Plus I just love how the Wilwood's look. Eventually I'll put em' on front as well. I don't really like the look of stock calipers either - the Wilwoods look soooo nice poking out through the wheels.

if you dont plan on running wilwoods all around i would spend the money on front brakes before the rear, thats what i did .
Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by red L98
if you dont plan on running wilwoods all around i would spend the money on front brakes before the rear, thats what i did .
I am planning on running Wilwoods in front as well. Once we get everything done in the rear that will probably be the next thing I do and maybe coilovers.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM
dr.juice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, well someone has to represent the LTX guys right?

Hadn't really thought about it, but you are probably right, not too many solid rear C4's in general, even less LTX solid rear C4's, and even less back halved cars!
Not to hijack the thread but...I also have a solid backhalved '95 LT1 for about 2 years already. Back then tpi 421 vette helped me alot with info and pics.

But anyway, good luck with your project and I'm you will absolutely love it when it's finished.....

Last edited by dr.juice; 12-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
from the 20 Wally's on the shelf it looks like he may know a thing or two about drag racing...lol..
I saw that also.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.juice
I'm you will absolutely love it when it's finished.....

That seems to be the general consensus when people covert over.....I can't believe I screwed with the IRS as long as I did. I put it through some pretty brutal 60' times....and it was always:

bump, bump, bump to stage the car......hold your breath and be ready to hit the brakes.................LAUNCH......2nd gear......ok relax a little.......

Then there were times where it was bump, bump, bump.......hold your breath...LAUNCH..KABOOOOOOOM! .........brakes, brakes, brakes....

Now I stage and the last thing on my mind is it breaking.....makes racing MUCH more enjoyable and I have now have much more free time to do other things. Rather than wrestling in and out u-joints and 1/2 shafts.

You will not be sorry you did/are doing what you are doing with your car. It makes them feel 100x as solid and much more robust. When you start putting major power through these IRS's too much stuff is there to flex and make the car feel unstable. Mine used to feel like I had things loose in the rear of the car....and it wanted to walk around or like the azz of the car was trying to make its way around the front....my tires showed it too...they were always "furry" looking like they went over a cheese grater. Now they are nice and clean looking and all the sensation of looseness is gone.

you will really enjoy the car now....
Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
dr.juice
Instructor

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
Now I stage and the last thing on my mind is it breaking.....makes racing MUCH more enjoyable and I have now have much more free time to do other things. Rather than wrestling in and out u-joints and 1/2 shafts.
You're right...absouletly right.
Mine was a m6, so I had to focus to slip the clutch a bit just to make sure it won't hook immediately and so one.
After to conversion I had to just 'drop' the clutch and hold on....SWEET!

I also used the stock brakes, just had to make a pair of brackets. I did remove the ABS completely and no problem stopping @138mph.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Not to hijack the thread but...I also have a solid backhalved '95 LT1 for about 2 years already. Back then tpi 421 vette helped me alot with info and pics.

But anyway, good luck with your project and I'm you will absolutely love it when it's finished.....
No problems at all. I didn't figure it was the only back halved LTX just hadn't seen any LTX cars like that yet. Do you have pics of your car? Would love to see some.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

You're right...absouletly right.
Mine was a m6, so I had to focus to slip the clutch a bit just to make sure it won't hook immediately and so one.
After to conversion I had to just 'drop' the clutch and hold on....SWEET!

I also used the stock brakes, just had to make a pair of brackets. I did remove the ABS completely and no problem stopping @138mph.
That's cool. The first time I went out with the new Mcleod clutch I did my normal "just drop the clutch" and BOOM went the spindle.

The next time I went out, on my first pass, I just came out with a really low rpm and no problems. On my second pass that day I got a little happy with the RPM and BOOM went the spindle.

2 times was enough for me so Jesse you have more patience than me.

So are you still running the ZF6? What clutch?

Get notified of new replies

To Solid Rear project started! WOOHOO! Pics inside . . . .

Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
I saw that also.
I'll be going by this evening so maybe I can get a good shot of all of em' lined up. He defintely knows his stuff, here is a link to a 10.5 outlaw, 2005 mustang he built:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/feat...anmeter-1.html

That car went 7.0 @ 208
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be going by this evening so maybe I can get a good shot of all of em' lined up. He defintely knows his stuff, here is a link to a 10.5 outlaw, 2005 mustang he built:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/feat...anmeter-1.html

That car went 7.0 @ 208

looks like he knows his stuff, but i bet the the guy that helped me get my car done knows his stuff better...... JK i dont know this guy

Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
MAXsuperam
Intermediate

You made a bean laden with cardboard

Quick Reply: Solid Rear project started! WOOHOO! Pics inside . . . .