C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 OD Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by arbee
It is if you have a 1 piece seal. I believe yours has a 2 piece.
From my research you would be correct (haven't actually looked at it). I didn't think the location changed because of that design though?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
From my research you would be correct (haven't actually looked at it). I didn't think the location changed because of that design though?
1 piece is external to the oil pan with a seal housing bolted to the back. 2 piece is internal mounted in the rear main cap. Need to remove oil pan, oil pump etc. Tons of fun especially with no hoist.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

1 piece is external to the oil pan with a seal housing bolted to the back. 2 piece is internal mounted in the rear main cap. Need to remove oil pan, oil pump etc. Tons of fun especially with no hoist.
oh. Yeah that sounds less than fun.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:18 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

whoops I was thinking 1 piece as well. My bad. Though it's just a lot of time on your back, the pan, oil pump and cap should clear. Mine dropped right out. I wouldn't do it unless it wash showing signs though.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Well I’ve been losing oil and can’t figure out where it’s going
Old 02-18-2018, 01:48 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

I mean it could be burning off on the clutch...
Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
maybe? Idk. I put in 10w30 synthetic and I think that may be too thin for this engine.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

How would the oil be able to migrate to the friction side of the flywheel?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

How would the oil be able to migrate to the friction side of the flywheel?
I mean if it's getting into the bell housing it's going to end up there eventually no? Unless I'm missing something. It was more of a joke/spit ball than a real assessment. I've heard of it happening. Not on a c4 in particular but it could. Usually it ends up in a slipping clutch though.

After this last month I'm under the impression that oil pretty much goes everywhere when it leaks.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I mean if it's getting into the bell housing it's going to end up there eventually no? Unless I'm missing something. It was more of a joke/spit ball than a real assessment. I've heard of it happening. Not on a c4 in particular but it could. Usually it ends up in a slipping clutch though.

After this last month I'm under the impression that oil pretty much goes everywhere when it leaks.
So I am not understanding your logic. I don't see how you think it can get to the friction side of the flywheel. Leaking out the engine seal, oil is going to run down the back of the engine block correct? It then escapes to the exterior. If by some fluke some oil were to make it to the backside of the flywheel, the centrifugal force would sling it to the side of the bellhousing, again to escape to the exterior. We are talking seepage here not a gusher. Please elaborate on your hypothesis.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

So I am not understanding your logic. I don't see how you think it can get to the friction side of the flywheel. Leaking out the engine seal, oil is going to run down the back of the engine block correct? It then escapes to the exterior. If by some fluke some oil were to make it to the backside of the flywheel, the centrifugal force would sling it to the side of the bellhousing, again to escape to the exterior. We are talking seepage here not a gusher. Please elaborate on your hypothesis.
No, you're 100% correct. If it were a quart in a couple hundred miles then maybe. I'm visualizing it as the engine is spinning and the seep is being flung by the output shaft and Kind of misting in the bellhousing just causing a constant fine spray if you will. The stop and go is allowing that fine spray to sort of be like a misting coating, like spraying wd. I really doubt it's the case but anything is possible. Each time you clutch you get a little of it on it. Most ends up vaporized and leaves. Some stays. If I spray water on my rims and go for a quick drive it'll all pretty much fling off. If I spray tire shine and go for a quick drive I'll have runs and droplets. The viscosity and shear also play a role. Granted the tire is spinning at significantly less revolutions per minute than the flywheel is but the same theory applies as long as the mass balances and force balances check out.

I said it just to be that guy (anything is better than nothing sometimes.) I really don't believe this is what's happening. I'm sorry man. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I've seen some weird things happen. So anything that comes to mind I end up saying. Usually I end up being the jerk too. Again, sorry...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Well, I’ll throw it out there that my clutch has a weird habit of juddering when I start and shift in 1st/2nd. Not sure what causes that. It doesn’t make the car undrivable but it can be annoying
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Well, I’ll throw it out there that my clutch has a weird habit of juddering when I start and shift in 1st/2nd. Not sure what causes that. It doesn’t make the car undrivable but it can be annoying
I don't know how yours behaves exactly but mine has a sort of two step when you clutch. You get the initial bite and then you think okay I'm starting to roll then you get this secondary jump when it bites in again. When I drive the 55 I just sort of ease into the clutch with a little bit of rpms. On the vette you have to pump it a little otherwise it'll just buck. I have no clue on the history of my clutch or what kind is in it. All I know is the pedal is amount the most on off clutches I've ever driven. The engagement is right there...
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

No, you're 100% correct. If it were a quart in a couple hundred miles then maybe. I'm visualizing it as the engine is spinning and the seep is being flung by the output shaft and Kind of misting in the bellhousing just causing a constant fine spray if you will. The stop and go is allowing that fine spray to sort of be like a misting coating, like spraying wd. I really doubt it's the case but anything is possible. Each time you clutch you get a little of it on it. Most ends up vaporized and leaves. Some stays. If I spray water on my rims and go for a quick drive it'll all pretty much fling off. If I spray tire shine and go for a quick drive I'll have runs and droplets. The viscosity and shear also play a role. Granted the tire is spinning at significantly less revolutions per minute than the flywheel is but the same theory applies as long as the mass balances and force balances check out.

I said it just to be that guy (anything is better than nothing sometimes.) I really don't believe this is what's happening. I'm sorry man. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I've seen some weird things happen. So anything that comes to mind I end up saying. Usually I end up being the jerk too. Again, sorry...

You are not being a jerk in my mind. I just don't think you fully understand the interior workings and are just throwing some **** at the wall to see if some sticks. No problem, you more or less said so.
In any case, I think there is a better chance of my aunt growing a ******* and becoming my uncle than there is of a main seal weep contaminating a friction surface on the flywheel.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I don't know how yours behaves exactly but mine has a sort of two step when you clutch. You get the initial bite and then you think okay I'm starting to roll then you get this secondary jump when it bites in again. When I drive the 55 I just sort of ease into the clutch with a little bit of rpms. On the vette you have to pump it a little otherwise it'll just buck. I have no clue on the history of my clutch or what kind is in it. All I know is the pedal is amount the most on off clutches I've ever driven. The engagement is right there...
huh. Sounds like mine.

My original ‘85 (now my parts car) had the stiffest clutch I’ve ever felt-it bit and bit HARD. I think it must have been an upgraded racing clutch or something because the previous owner had been turning it into a drag car. It had other problems but the clutch/OD weren’t one.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I'm starting a new thread to ask for help on dropping the transmission. I figured this thread has wandered enough that it's probably time to start a new one HERE.

Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 OD Sluggish