C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shell's new premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 04:16 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Shell's new premium gas

Anyone actually try this and know if it's worth all the advertised hype???

https://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-...-gasoline.html
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Of course it's not worth it. ALL gas has more than enough detergent in it, to do the job of keeping engine parts clean. See that "clean valve" on the left? Now have a look at the text and pics...

HERE

Then tell us what you think?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

I've always heard that the generic least expensive gasoline is not as good for your car as the name brands that cost a little more: Shell, Mobil, Chevron, etc. It kind of makes sense as to why the generics are sold for less, right? You'd think they have less detergent additives. My biggest paranoid fear is that the cheaper "Valero" premium 91 octane I buy in California, can easily be diluted with the 87 octane (accidentally or purposely) and nobody would know, accept for my engine. Anyway, my original question is about this new Shell premium gas and if anyone has tried it yet...

Last edited by RetroGuy; 05-27-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

While there are a number of Shell stations in my area, I haven't seen any advertising of this new gas. What is the advertised octane rating on the pumps that you use? Here in WA, 92 Octane is the highest value for premium Isn'r CA 91?

I use a lot of Costco 92 Octane premium gas and I have never seen any issues using that gas. Worth the 30 cents a gallon savings to me.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Have I tried Shell Nitro premium - yes. Anything special to it - not in my opinion as my car runs just fine on 87 octane fuel and the higher octane did not make any apparent difference. If you need higher octane fuel then you might see something different.
Now having said that, there are listings of 'top tier' fuels. If you use any of the particular brands I'm sure you'll be ok. From what I've read, gas comes to the tank farm and it's once it's in the tanker that the various additives are included for the various brands.

Having said this, I do use Shell gas in my 86, though not exclusively. I also use Shells Non-oxygenated fuels in my power equipment like snow blowers etc. with stabilizer and I top off the cars when they are going into winter storage with the non-alcohol fuel. I've had very good luck with that procedure.

Here's the list I found online

Here are the Top Tier licensed retail brands in the United States:

• ARCO
  • Aloha
  • Amoco
  • BP
  • Beacon
  • Break Time
  • Breakaway
  • CITGO
  • Cenex
  • Chevron
  • Conoco
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CountryMark
  • CountryMark PLUS
  • Diamond Shamrock
  • Express Mart
  • Exxon
  • Fast Fuel
  • HFN – Hawaii Fueling Network
  • Hele
  • Holiday
  • Irving Oil
  • Kirkland Signature Gasoline
  • Kwik Star
  • Kwik Trip
  • MFA
  • Marathon
  • Metro Petro
  • Mobil
  • Ohana Fuels
  • Phillips 66
  • QT
  • QuikTrip
  • Ranger
  • Ranger Fuel
  • Ranger Mustang
  • Ranger Stallion
  • Ranger Thoroughbred
  • Reeders
  • Road Ranger
  • Shamrock
  • Shell
  • Sinclair
  • Sunoco
  • SuperAmerica
  • SuperFuels
  • Texaco
  • Tobacco Outlet Plus Grocery
  • Valero
  • Value America
  • WOW
  • Win Win
Here's info from consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

Last edited by hcbph; 05-27-2019 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RetroGuy (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:52 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

In southern California, 92 oct gas is a thing of the past. Only 91 available now.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:35 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I use the cheapest crap that is reasonably close to me... usually wawa. They also have 93 so... (the car sits a lot so it can't hurt as much.) On something like a DI car, it could maybe help using top tier but I highly doubt it makes a difference there or on ours.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Bp 93
Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
I've always heard that the generic least expensive gasoline is not as good for your car as the name brands that cost a little more: Shell, Mobil, Chevron, etc. It kind of makes sense as to why the generics are sold for less, right? You'd think they have less detergent additives. My biggest paranoid fear is that the cheaper "Valero" premium 91 octane I buy in California, can easily be diluted with the 87 octane (accidentally or purposely) and nobody would know, accept for my engine. Anyway, my original question is about this new Shell premium gas and if anyone has tried it yet...
I think that I answered that in post #2. Thoroughly. Did you read the link that I posted?? B/c in that link, I showed you intake valves from real high mileage vehicles that looked just like the Shell's "clean" valve in their advertising. So YOU TELL US; is regular gas better than good enough? LOOK AT THE PICS.
The answer, of course, is "YES", for detergent/cleaning, any retail gasoline is better than good enough and that is b/c the EPA mandates a minimum level of detergent in ALL gasoline, regardless of brand, store, state/location, octane...whatever.

Look, imagine you're selling gasoline. Imagine that the govn't mandates your minimum detergent and you meet that spec (you'd have to, it's law) across all of your product offerings. Let's imagine that the min-spec is better than good enough -which it is and my pics show that pretty clearly. Finally, imagine that you want to sell more "premium" grade fuel, b/c that is your highest profit margin (premium gas IS their highest profit margin). You could advertise all the virtues of the features of your premium option (just like Shell is doing)...none of it would be a lie;
*It cleans engine parts (see pic)
*It reduces wear
*It improves mileage (high octane has the potential to do this in select engines)
...you could say all of the bull **** that Shell is saying, and none of it is a lie...it's all totally true! The problem is; You simply neglected to say that ANY gas will meet the same criteria (except for octane, of course) and do it more economically. You asked if Shell's gas is worth it, meaning is it different/special compared to other gasoline? The answer, is NO. LOOK at the pics that I provided for you.

EDIT: Your car appears to be a '96 LT1. That engine will produce slightly better hp and fuel mileage with high octane....ANY brand of high octane, that the lowest octane. My recommendation is to buy ANY "premium" grade fuel from ANY vendor. Premium b/c you car can benefit from the octane rating...not any made-up BS about clean valves and detergent....ALL retail gasolines have that covered. If Shell really GAF about offering us gasoline that makes a difference, they'd be offering 93 octane or better....but they don't. They're just putting lipstick on the same pig that they're neighbor is also selling...and you're getting sucked into it.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-27-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I use Costco gas in all my cars. The main reason is that Costco is so busy the fuel never sits. My cars run better with Costco fuel. It’s 30 cents cheaper than the other brands. I also have been experimenting with my daily driver. It’s a Passat with a 1.8t. I have been getting 5mpg more and the car runs noticeably smoother using 93 instead of 87. My second choice is the Shell nitro 93 for my C7 and Camaro. I only use the Shell if there isn’t a Costco near me.
RetroGuy (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:06 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Shell does offer 93 octane premium in the southern states and Steves LS6 says he gets it in Illinois. Maybe its a west coast thing.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I think that I answered that in post #2. Thoroughly. Did you read the link that I posted?? B/c in that link, I showed you intake valves from real high mileage vehicles that looked just like the Shell's "clean" valve in their advertising. So YOU TELL US; is regular gas better than good enough? LOOK AT THE PICS.
The answer, of course, is "YES", for detergent/cleaning, any retail gasoline is better than good enough and that is b/c the EPA mandates a minimum level of detergent in ALL gasoline, regardless of brand, store, state/location, octane...whatever.

Look, imagine you're selling gasoline. Imagine that the govn't mandates your minimum detergent and you meet that spec (you'd have to, it's law) across all of your product offerings. Let's imagine that the min-spec is better than good enough -which it is and my pics show that pretty clearly. Finally, imagine that you want to sell more "premium" grade fuel, b/c that is your highest profit margin (premium gas IS their highest profit margin). You could advertise all the virtues of the features of your premium option (just like Shell is doing)...none of it would be a lie;
*It cleans engine parts (see pic)
*It reduces wear
*It improves mileage (high octane has the potential to do this in select engines)
...you could say all of the bull **** that Shell is saying, and none of it is a lie...it's all totally true! The problem is; You simply neglected to say that ANY gas will meet the same criteria (except for octane, of course) and do it more economically. You asked if Shell's gas is worth it, meaning is it different/special compared to other gasoline? The answer, is NO. LOOK at the pics that I provided for you.

EDIT: Your car appears to be a '96 LT1. That engine will produce slightly better hp and fuel mileage with high octane....ANY brand of high octane, that the lowest octane. My recommendation is to buy ANY "premium" grade fuel from ANY vendor. Premium b/c you car can benefit from the octane rating...not any made-up BS about clean valves and detergent....ALL retail gasolines have that covered. If Shell really GAF about offering us gasoline that makes a difference, they'd be offering 93 octane or better....but they don't. They're just putting lipstick on the same pig that they're neighbor is also selling...and you're getting sucked into it.

YES SIR...COPY THAT! Can I still be paranoid about a truck driver accidentally pumping the lower oct gas into the premium gas holding tank? It could happen...
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

YES SIR...COPY THAT! Can I still be paranoid about a truck driver accidentally pumping the lower oct gas into the premium gas holding tank? It could happen...

you can be paranoid about whatever you want.....The sky could be falling and martians begin attacking I guess.

Last edited by 856SPEED; 05-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The tanks here have two different size hookups for that.
BubbaKahuna (05-30-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Sure it could.

That falls under that category of "worryin' about **** that ain't worth worryin' about". Plus, could happen at any brand/gas station.
toddbvanslyke (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Even if it was great but has ethanol I don't want it. I am lucky as the local BP has 92 no ethanol.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Even if it was great but has ethanol I don't want it. I am lucky as the local BP has 92 no ethanol.

Get notified of new replies

To Shell's new premium gas

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
What exactly is the issue with ethanol that does affect us? Sure, it has lower energy content but that is something you have to live with. That is, unless you are going to chain yourself to a bunch of inconvenience to get it. There are 2 stations around my house. 20 mins away or at the airport. I don't go to these places so it is out of the way. If I am racing, I'd be buying pure gas but I'm not sure what sacrifice I should be willing to take for that pure gas and what exactly it will do for me.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
What exactly is the issue with ethanol that does affect us? Sure, it has lower energy content but that is something you have to live with. That is, unless you are going to chain yourself to a bunch of inconvenience to get it. There are 2 stations around my house. 20 mins away or at the airport. I don't go to these places so it is out of the way. If I am racing, I'd be buying pure gas but I'm not sure what sacrifice I should be willing to take for that pure gas and what exactly it will do for me.
Alcohol attracts water, that is a big deal if your car isn't driven frequently, and an even bigger deal if you live in a humid area or near the coast.

I haven't really seen it myself in any of my own vehicles but I have heard about some vehicles having fuel lines that aren't very compatible with alcohol and the lines will soften and turn to goo eventually. I have however seen that exact same phenomenon in a lot of 2 stroke jet ski fuel systems, and older lawn and garden tractors/mowers.

What I would like to know.... is what is the benefit to adding alcohol to fuel? Besides decreased power and mileage which in turn leads to decreased emissions.

We have one local gas station that sells 87 octane "clear fuel", no ethanol. I don't run it in the Vette but I do run it in all of my outdoor power equipment and my Miatas. If I had a station nearby that sold Ethanol free 92 Octane, I would gladly pony up the extra dough for it.

Jared
Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Alcohol attracts water, that is a big deal if your car isn't driven frequently, and an even bigger deal if you live in a humid area or near the coast.

I haven't really seen it myself in any of my own vehicles but I have heard about some vehicles having fuel lines that aren't very compatible with alcohol and the lines will soften and turn to goo eventually. I have however seen that exact same phenomenon in a lot of 2 stroke jet ski fuel systems, and older lawn and garden tractors/mowers.

What I would like to know.... is what is the benefit to adding alcohol to fuel? Besides decreased power and mileage which in turn leads to decreased emissions.

We have one local gas station that sells 87 octane "clear fuel", no ethanol. I don't run it in the Vette but I do run it in all of my outdoor power equipment and my Miatas. If I had a station nearby that sold Ethanol free 92 Octane, I would gladly pony up the extra dough for it.

Jared
Ethonal has a higher octane rating so it will resist detonation better then non Ethonal gasoline. Now this assumes that the non Ethonal premium is 91 octane and the Ethonal premium is 93 octane. This is what i have available at my house. The higher octane rating is a bonus if you can reduce the amount of timing pulled at wot, if your car does not need 93 octane fuel to keep max timing at wot then the higher octane is not needed.

Quick Reply: Shell's new premium gas