C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Pulled Over

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Running with no plates in the front is like asking nun when the last time she got laid...you just don't do it! Put the plate on and call it a day. I'm surprised to see a lot of county's have lazy cops...yes LAZY that they say they are to "busy" doing other things then to have to pull people over for no license plates. If a cop is being re-active 90% of the time then he isn't doing his job. You would be amazed what can be found from a "routine" stop. For those cops that say it's a waste of time, I say they are ignorant and the local hiring criteria must be really low.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
Two plate state here in NY too. Been driving Corvettes for over 25 years and never had a front plate on any of them. I've gotten four no front plate tickets total in all those years. The last one I got must have been about 6 or 7 years ago, so LEO around here really arent too concerned about enforcing this stupid law, when they finally do decide to crack down I will then put on the plate, as long as they continue not to bother me I'm not gonna worry about it.
Stay away from Captree and Oak Beach, if you don't want your luck to run out.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Oil Apologist
Must have been a slow day for the cop.

An LEO here in Texas (2 plate state) said that if they enforced the law.............they would spend their entire day stopping Corvettes. He indicated he had more pressing things to do. Like catching speeding Corvettes and add on the no-plate penalty to hammer home the point.
Tyler, Texas here. I bought mine a short time ago and didn't put the plate on. I pass them all the time but I don't speed, do burn-outs, run yellow'ish lights, etc. I was hoping that was their thought and so far it has been. If (when?) I get a ticket for that I'll put it on but until then I don't plan to. And if this causes me to get one on the way home tonight I'll be
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 441 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

No front plates in TN
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in SoCal there are too many people without front plates to pull them all over. Where they get you is with the parking enforcement instead. I have a front plate on now but when I didn't I'd get ticketed while legally parked otherwise for my lack of front plate. It wasn't as bad though. I think it's something like $30 and only $10 if you send in a photo. But still a hassle none the less.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't run a front plate on my Jeep (kept tearing it up) for many years, still don't. I didn't run a front plate on my Mercedes Benz either. Sometimes it works out to your benefit... my wife got stopped for speeding in the Benz by local LEO's and he let her off with a no front plate warning. Gives them an out for stopping you if they choose to give you some mercy. Just got my Vette and it has no plug for the front so I will be running a front plate on it to fill the gaping hole. If I come across a plug I'll use it, but until then the plate will do. Besides... it will be a vanity plate.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Adoggy Phizzle
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Running with no plates in the front is like asking nun when the last time she got laid...you just don't do it! Put the plate on and call it a day. I'm surprised to see a lot of county's have lazy cops...yes LAZY that they say they are to "busy" doing other things then to have to pull people over for no license plates. If a cop is being re-active 90% of the time then he isn't doing his job. You would be amazed what can be found from a "routine" stop. For those cops that say it's a waste of time, I say they are ignorant and the local hiring criteria must be really low.
Wow, really. It's not remotely the same. If a front license plate is so valuable a tool for the police, why are they not required in over 50% of the states in the union. It doesn't carry your current registration tag as here in Illinois, (on back plate). It serves no purpose other than having the ability to generate more state revenue. Cops dont pull in front of you and run your plate number do they? There was a study done that eliminating the front plate would save the state of Illinois over $800,000.00 a year in a black hole of goverment spending, (the state manufactures the plates), via private party. Did it pass the legislature, nope. Is our budget balanced, NOPE!. The status quo is easy, next time it comes up, YOU need to talk to your congressman and let him know where you stand.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Binski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last 2 corvettes I purchased (used) did not come with front plates? Probabbly should make an appointment and get one, I understand its $25 in CA?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Adoggy Phizzle
Racer

Plus it ruins the aesthetic lines of these at other beautiful machines.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
DarkBlueC5
Instructor

I'm in southwest Chicago suburbs - I choose to run the plate with the body color surround piece. It looks fine and it's one less thing I have to worry about. Why give a reason to get pulled over? There will always be the folks who have gone 15 years without ever getting pulled over for it and there will always be the folks who get pulled over a day after removing it. Question is, which one will you be? ;-)

I'm from Ohio originally. They have front plate and strict window tint laws. A few years ago I had an Audi A4 that I tinted all around to 35% (which is legal in rear window and rear sides, but illegal in front sides). Got pulled over within a week, going 15 mph through a small town with my wife and 4 year old kid with me. I literally looked at the officer with a "got nothing better to do today" smile on my face as he wrote me up. $150 ticket and $120 worth of tint work down the drain.

On the flip side, my cousin has run full limo tint on his car for 10 straight years, drives like a maniac, and has never gotten pulled over. Go figure!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by Adoggy Phizzle
Wow, really. It's not remotely the same. If a front license plate is so valuable a tool for the police, why are they not required in over 50% of the states in the union. It doesn't carry your current registration tag as here in Illinois, (on back plate). It serves no purpose other than having the ability to generate more state revenue. Cops dont pull in front of you and run your plate number do they? There was a study done that eliminating the front plate would save the state of Illinois over $800,000.00 a year in a black hole of goverment spending, (the state manufactures the plates), via private party. Did it pass the legislature, nope. Is our budget balanced, NOPE!. The status quo is easy, next time it comes up, YOU need to talk to your congressman and let him know where you stand.
I hear what your saying but each state is different in terms of how they are funded and who makes the plates. Some cases as you pointed out, can save money. If the police did decide to pull over and ticket every person that did not run a front plate it would generate revenue...mind you I'm not advocating this as I would prefer not to have a front plate but I'm required to so I do it to avoid any hassle. I have friends who are leo's and they have stopped car's for various minor offenses such as running no plate only to yield a bigger rewards. I had a leo run my plate while I was at a traffic light and he was opposite of me. He had all my information and if I was a criminal or had any outstanding warrants he could action accordingly. Sounds very minor, but these help them do their job...again, not advocating having a front plate but if it's required just put it on and be done with it. Not worth the headache as the OP found out.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Adoggy Phizzle
Racer

Stallion, (I'm not arguing with you), just going to provide a point of view. If everyone always just goes along to avoid the hassle, nothing ever changes. I personally dont believe they are advantageous to the police and the duties they perform. If the state of Illinois provided me with a comprehensive study as to the benefits of a front license plate to assist and keep police safe, I would mount it. I think its important to question these and other laws that benfit the state and not its residents. Whats next, micro chips with your social security number and gps to make sure you are safe and can be found if you get kidnapped. Sounds silly I know, but a type of it has been done before. Dont go along to get along, ask why.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich98
Stay away from Captree and Oak Beach, if you don't want your luck to run out.
Thanks for the tip bro. Do most of my driving on the Northern State and the LIE. The Troopers and the Dep Sheriffs never bother me and I see them every day. Watch, now on my way home from work I'll get pinched!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

I live in Texas and we require two plates. I could drive all over Dallas and never get a ticket for it. Drive thru some cash strapped burbs and your asking for trouble. I just got my vette and added the plates on the parking lot after I got them. My burb is cool and could careless about a front plate. The next burb over is cash strapped and once pulled me over for doing 39mph in a 35mph. I have better things to do with my money than give it away.

Reggie
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Ohioan here. Don't run a legally required front plate on the Corvette or the T-Bucket, and my wife's MG runs a different replica plate on the front than the legal one on the back. My shop where I keep the cars is near a county refueling depot and all the county Sheriff cars and the state boys assigned to the local patrol post all refuel there. Probably pass 6 of these guys coming and going every time I drive by - in six years no stops there or anywhere else. Even the guy who is running a radar trap on the back roads isn't interested (or doesn't notice - nahhh!!!). I've been sniffed once by my local department but no stop - maybe the military veteran rear plate changed his mind or he ran the plate and saw I was within the jurisdiction - who knows? Figure the first time I get stopped I'll consider putting the front plate on.

Where I live many local police and fire departments organize a lot of charity benefit car shows and cruises, and they get a LOT of participation from the car guys and gals. We never get hassled at the shows and sometimes I'd like to think they don't want to stir the pot with strict enforcement policies between the shows either. Maybe one hand washes the other if you drive responsibly and don't draw attention to yourself.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Adoggy Phizzle
Stallion, (I'm not arguing with you), just going to provide a point of view. If everyone always just goes along to avoid the hassle, nothing ever changes. I personally dont believe they are advantageous to the police and the duties they perform. If the state of Illinois provided me with a comprehensive study as to the benefits of a front license plate to assist and keep police safe, I would mount it. I think its important to question these and other laws that benfit the state and not its residents. Whats next, micro chips with your social security number and gps to make sure you are safe and can be found if you get kidnapped. Sounds silly I know, but a type of it has been done before. Dont go along to get along, ask why.
No arguing just having a discussion. I asked why and the officer told me it was the law. Can't always fight the system if you know what I mean
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Chances are you show up with the photo, lie/explain how there were no mounts, you're sorry, and ask for mercy the fine will be waved or reduced.

When I lived in Texas I threw the tag on the dash. When I got stopped I explained how it got ripped off from the nylon fasteners and I'd be sure to put it back on. Never got a ticket and never put it on.

Last edited by Camjamsdad; 05-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Got Pulled Over

Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Massachusetts has a 2 plate law. However if you have the older style plates (Green letters) you can run only a rear...

I have the new plates (Red letters) and still only run the rear plate. I do however keep the other plate in one of the storage boots in the back, just in case.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
. the reason for the two plates is red light cameras can get you coming or going.
Texas just installed Red light cameras but the 2 Plate rule has been around forever.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
buzz12
Pro

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I'm always perplexed by these posts.

When you registered the car didn't they hand you TWO plates?
In Arizona they handed me two plates but we're only required to display the rear. Go figure. We passed SB1070 also. Our state govt is a joke.

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over