Got Pulled Over

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I'm always perplexed by these posts.

When you registered the car didn't they hand you TWO plates?
I thought the second one was a spare.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by sparky1340
Thanks to all for responding. I'm sure the plate will go on. Appreciate support and explanation responses. Still waiting to see a front plate on these cars in Illinois.
My son-in-law and I both run front plates. I don't think the C5 looks as bad as the C6 with the front plate. I don't need to ASK for a ticket. The 5 still looks great even with the plate.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by raydawg357
I feel your pain brother. We are required 2 plates in Texas as well. I ran only one for years. I kept receiving verbal warnings and chose to ignore them. Finally one LEO gave me a written warning, so I decided to do the right thing. The reasoning behind needing a front plate is simply idiotic. Try reading the front plate of vehicle approaching you.
Originally Posted by baxsom
. the reason for the two plates is red light cameras can get you coming or going.
There are a lot of other cameras in our society, EZ Pass at tolls, half of downtown any city ( not just for red lights). It not as bad as London, but we're catching up.

And the plates used to be embossed (stamped, raised lettering) and now they are nice flat, reflective surfaces. Perfect for hitting with Radar/Lidar.

Originally Posted by Adoggy Phizzle
Plus it ruins the aesthetic lines of these at other beautiful machines.
No argument there, this car is one of the best examples of ruining the looks by attaching a plate in front (but I think we in the C5 are much better off that the C6, it really kills it there and spans the airflow opening).

NY so I run two, dont mind it with the smoothie plate surround.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
No. Not neccessarily. In Cali, the plates go with the car, so if you buy used, you get what's on it. If the seller didn't have both, and you want two, you can go to DMV and purchase two new plates.

Now, you no longer need to be perplexed.
That was sweet!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
phrankw
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Oil Apologist
Must have been a slow day for the cop.

An LEO here in Texas (2 plate state) said that if they enforced the law.............they would spend their entire day stopping Corvettes. He indicated he had more pressing things to do. Like catching speeding Corvettes and add on the no-plate penalty to hammer home the point.
Fellow Texan here and proud owner of two different Vettes over the last 15 years. Neither ever had a front plate on them and I've never been pulled over even though Texas is also a 2 plate state. My wife did however and here's how she got out of the ticket:

She was pulled over on a residential street by a Texas State Trooper (HUH?). He told her he pulled her over for no front plate and then she began to defend "her" car by talking at a speed of well over 90 MPH. "It came from the dealer this way... Why would a dealer sell us an illegal car?... We've never been pulled over with either of our Vettes for over 12 years... My Father-in-law was a cop for 30 years and he told me the only cop that would pull me over was either bored or he was having a bad day... Blah, blah, blah......."

After a few minutes of not being able to get a word in edge wise the Trooper handed her back her license and told her to move along. I guess he must have been married too.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Adoggy Phizzle
Wow, really. It's not remotely the same. If a front license plate is so valuable a tool for the police, why are they not required in over 50% of the states in the union. It doesn't carry your current registration tag as here in Illinois, (on back plate). It serves no purpose other than having the ability to generate more state revenue. Cops dont pull in front of you and run your plate number do they? There was a study done that eliminating the front plate would save the state of Illinois over $800,000.00 a year in a black hole of goverment spending, (the state manufactures the plates), via private party. Did it pass the legislature, nope. Is our budget balanced, NOPE!. The status quo is easy, next time it comes up, YOU need to talk to your congressman and let him know where you stand.
That comes up almost every year here and the state transportation and state highway patrol gets it killed on arrival. I don't get the front plate at all but when they make laws to generate revenue this is what we get.

Our governments, local and federal, are out of frickin control.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

CA requires two plates however thats not something you generally get stopped for. You certainly can but usually not having a front plate is just PC if they want to stop you.

If you get stopped for something else and dont have a front plate, it might get added on as a second violation.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Just move to South Carolina, no front plates required and gun racked are endorsed. In fact, I think you can be fined if you don't carry a gun in your car.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Texas is a two plate state. Currently there is some information going around that for the time being it is unenforceable.

I have lived here since 1982 and have had 5 Corvettes on the road over the years. I never had a front plate on any of them and never will.

If I get popped, I'll pay the fine. I understand the potential repurcussions and I have accepted them.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I have mine up there so that if the officer is on the fence about stopping me, maybe he won't.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by jim993
I have mine up there so that if the officer is on the fence about stopping me, maybe he won't.
There is some truth in that. If it's iffy, and they see no tag, they will probably sway to side of a stop.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

For all you Texas drivers...
Not sure if they fixed it yet, but I have never run a front plate or got a ticket and now I keep this article in my car.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1098274.html
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Really amazed how big a deal people make about a front plate-get a LIFE guys, it's ONLY a license plate. Think of it as bug/rock protection for part of your front fascia.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Tastee Twirl
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I run one cause had a buddy got run through ringer with add on tickets. window tint, to loud, no cats, blacked out tails.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Adoggy Phizzle
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The easy answer for the states is to have another level of plate registration for rear plates only. Now in Illinois you pay a premium for vanity plates and the subsequent re-registration of the tag associated with those plates. How about another $70.00 to the registration for a rear plate only registration. The plate would look different, (easily identifiable by police), the state would get their money, I would get what I want, everybody wins.
Wow, that was easy! Next state pension plans, stay tuned.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I am sure happy that we don't have to run a front plate in Oklahoma!
And no inspections anymore either...!!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM
phrankw
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Really amazed how big a deal people make about a front plate-get a LIFE guys, it's ONLY a license plate. Think of it as bug/rock protection for part of your front fascia.
I don't know about you Doug, but I don't want anything on my car making it look like ****, especially a "bug/rock protection". If I want bug protection then I'll hang an electric bug zapper on my hood.

A front license plate on a Vette looks like ****, period. That's not whining. That's just a fact.

Get notified of new replies

To Got Pulled Over

Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phrankw
I don't know about you Doug, but I don't want anything on my car making it look like ****, especially a "bug/rock protection". If I want bug protection then I'll hang an electric bug zapper on my hood.

A front license plate on a Vette looks like ****, period. That's not whining. That's just a fact.
Sounds like WHINING to me, how often do you think the rest of the world (or even you) look at the front of your ~10yr old car? A sandblasted body colored filler looks any BETTER?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Sounds like WHINING to me, how often do you think the rest of the world (or even you) look at the front of your ~10yr old car? A sandblasted body colored filler looks any BETTER?
If you think the ugly Illinois plate looks better than the cover that comes with the car then you are high. That said, I am not a "whiner" when it comes to front plates. I run one on my C5 and don't even give it a second thought. I just chose a plate that looks a little better than the white "Lincoln's Ghost" plates that are fugly.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chicago
If you think the ugly Illinois plate looks better than the cover that comes with the car then you are high. That said, I am not a "whiner" when it comes to front plates. I run one on my C5 and don't even give it a second thought. I just chose a plate that looks a little better than the white "Lincoln's Ghost" plates that are fugly.
Sounds like more whining to me

I never look at or think about the front plate unless I'm washing the car-if you spend more time thinking about your front plate, maybe you need more to do?

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over