Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Plasti-Dip, why?

Please do not get upset at me, this is just my opinion. I do not understand this craze of taking a rattle can of paint to their Corvette.
To me, that is something you do to cheap car that needs something covered up. Anyone else agree? Plasti-dip comes off easy for a reason I have never seen Plasti-dip on a Porsche, Ferrari, or other high end cars
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
bumr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main reason is that it allows you to experiment. The idea is that you can see how a particular paint theme would look without committing to it. If you decide you really like it after ExpEriencing it for a while, you can have it painted. If not, just peel it off.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Originally Posted by bumr
I think the main reason is that it allows you to experiment. The idea is that you can see how a particular paint theme would look without committing to it. If you decide you really like it after ExpEriencing it for a while, you can have it painted. If not, just peel it off.

I've been thinking about some stripe ideas but couldn't think of something to use that would come off or wash off, so PD might be the answer.

What I don't necessarily understand is doing the whole car and leaving it that way....
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't even know what it was until I went to their website where they have a video of it being used on a dishwasher rack I don't want it on my car but if other's do then that's their choice. I've seen worse things done to Corvettes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Absolutely. It also allows for some creative uniqueness (whether good or bad). For some it gives them ideas for things to do to their cars, for others, things not to do.

In the end, it is whatever makes the owner happy.

Les
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think the main reason is that it allows you to experiment. The idea is that you can see how a particular paint theme would look without committing to it. If you decide you really like it after Experiencing it for a while, you can have it painted. If not, just peel it off.
I agree with this,but would I do it to my '01 Torch Red coupe, probably not. If you are trying to stated that a C5 Corvette is a high end car the same as Porsche and Ferrari, I think you may be a little off there. Don't get me wrong, I know that the Corvette is a great car and will hold its own with the toe European exotics, but high end, I think not.
Finally, I get tired of all this ricer stuff. If a member wants to take a rattle can to his/her Corvette, that is their right. Unless someone else is making the payments, filling the tank when ever it needs it and paying to have it maintained, then I believe the owner has the right to do what ever they wish on their own car.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Most of the posts I read said nothing about experimenting. They were going to keep it on.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by charger21
Most of the posts I read said nothing about experimenting. They were going to keep it on.
I've got it on the lower rear valance and it's been there for the better part of a year I think?

Can't justify spending $400 bucks on an abs plastic cover that doesn't sit flush. Not crazy about having it painted either cause that's permanent and my paint is in darn good condition. Unless the lower valance got messed up I don't see a reason to paint it.

Have to agree with others in that it's an affordable alternative to basically vinyl wrapping. People get vinyl stripes all the time and I don't see the huge back lash for those who do as we see with PD. There are plenty of cars with flat black or even flat white stripes and if done correctly you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference between a vinyl stripe kit and PD stripes. Actually if someone got silver (it's silver right?) and red PD along with some glossifier and did a Z16 stripe design, I'd bet money that the majority wouldn't have a clue it wasn't vinyl. IF done correctly that is. When PD is applied just right, there is no texture whatsoever leaving a vinyl smooth finish.

As for the doing the whole car, why spend money on something you're not too sure about with the end result not to your liking and now permanent. Wrapping the whole car can be expensive and depending on the shop, you could end up with something like this Hummer

They couldn't wrap certain areas, so they just painted most of the seams thinking the owner would never know

anywho, just my 2cents

Last edited by nvusgt; 05-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Please do not get upset at me, this is just my opinion. I do not understand this craze of taking a rattle can of paint to their Corvette.
To me, that is something you do to cheap car that needs something covered up. Anyone else agree? Plasti-dip comes off easy for a reason I have never seen Plasti-dip on a Porsche, Ferrari, or other high end cars
Full agreement here! I dont get it!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

100%. It just seems so tacky to me. I don't get it either. Sure, ricers love the stuff because they can hide all of the rust and damage on their Civics. But, seriously guys...........doesn't a pristine C5 deserve better?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
xpunter83
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The whole point is its removable rubber in a can that can be removed easily, for 6 bucks a can, you really cant beat it
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
theheartbeat
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

since that ricer is probably worth more than my C5 i dont see what it matters.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

How about spraying it on the nose of your car like a bra for long trips, to protect from stones and bugs. Then peel it off later. Is it too much trouble? Is it hard to peel off?
Someone with a daily driver or who does interstate driving, maybe it would protect their car during the week and then peel it off for the weekend cruises. Hell I don't know, just thinking.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

growing up in the 50's in a car loving family, I was taught that the primer painted '50 Fords and other glasspack cars were basically unfinished. I've seen experimental flat/satin finish cars from the big manufacturers and didn't like them either.
The point of it being a good way to experiment is, however a great idea.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is why. i think it looks pretty good and it has been on for about 6 months now and no sign of coming off unless i peel.i did put light clear coat on all the black pieces.
Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 2575
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  PA230103.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  85.1 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-Dip, why?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
How about spraying it on the nose of your car like a bra for long trips, to protect from stones and bugs. Then peel it off later. Is it too much trouble? Is it hard to peel off?
Someone with a daily driver or who does interstate driving, maybe it would protect their car during the week and then peel it off for the weekend cruises. Hell I don't know, just thinking.

I have wondered about doing this for a trip also.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The same thing could be said about wraps, exhausts, wheels, sound systems, and tinted windows. All of these have been done by 90% of corvette owners.
And there are a few "high end" cars that have been completely covered with PD.
PD is good for fooling around which is completely allowed.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree. It's not for me but I respect the courage and creativity of all the people that do it. I think you're addressing a younger generation. I'm 56 and like my torchred coupe to be shiny with chrome or polished wheels. My Harley is glossy black and chromed out. The younger guys I know would have the same bike and change all that chrome to black.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip, why?