Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 04:01 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

Glad you got it figured out, RichSilvestris. That's a fairly common error with the Axxess, and it's unfortunate they couldn't use unique plugs. From my research it sounds like their instructions used to be really lacking, but their current instructions are pretty good and do a nice job of showing/telling which plugs/wire colors go where:

I've been pondering how to mount the boxes from the Axxess unit; thanks for sharing your pictures, I just might have to mimic what you've done with mounting them above the Joying unit.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-31-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:07 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

RichSilvestris, don't sweat the rooting. Sorry, I didn't use the Axxess so I couldn't help you, but if you have any trouble with the rooting, give me a call. If needed just PM me and I'll give you my number. You'll do fine and be up and running in no time.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Ltemple
Advanced

Received 249 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JimInPA
Question for those that have purchased this unit, how long did it take to arrive from overseas? Any shipping issues?

Thanks!
Jim
Jim, I ordered my on June 4, and it arrived by the 16th, so 12 days, no issues.
JimInPA (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:33 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Glare and Dimmer

Even though I have a Sony Double Din head unit and Metra bezel ready to install, this thread keeps tempting me! For those who already have the unit installed, do you have any issues with screen glare? Also, how does the screen dimming feature work for night driving work? Are there various levels of dimmness (is that even a word?) that can be selected within the Joying head unit?

Last edited by roegs; 07-30-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Brandon_reid
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an FYI, I had the issue of deleting my contacts every time I connected to the head unit with bluetooth. I ended up just going into my phone and not letting it have access to my contacts. That seems to have cleared it up. And thanks Ltemple for the idea and all the help in rooting! It was super easy with all your help!
The following 2 users liked this post by Brandon_reid:
ArmchairArchitect (07-31-2020), Ltemple (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=GCG;1601926011]Did you do the programming as per the included directions?

Ltemple. Thank you for your generous offer. With my obvious lack of talent, I am sure we will be talking soon!
Old 07-31-2020, 09:38 AM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hoping to finally start installing mine this weekend now that the rain has finally come to an end for a few days! Will try to post some before and after pics.
Ltemple (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltemple
This is the Joying JY-HOS01N4GS-1. There were a few challenges getting it in (it's designed to go on the outside of the dash, which I don't care for) but overall, I now have a backup camera, phone, music.... It is just small enough to fit behind the dash. I've never seen this in a c5 before... have any of you ever done this? If so, let me know; I have a few questions for you.

looks fantastic! Well done!
Ltemple (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:44 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

RichS, it sounds like getting g those connectors in the right way worked. Glad to hear it’s moving forward. Also like the tidy mounts fir the harness. Great job.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 AM
JoeJ
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Gents,
A couple of things keep nagging at me about this mod, and I hoping someone can answer them. I'm not all that familiar with Android but this unit seems to be running on a version that is now two generations old. Can it be upgraded? If so, I don't see where it's been mentioned. If not, what happens when it becomes obsolete?

Also, realistically what should we expect the life expectancy to be on this HU. It seems Android note pads become useless every few years or so.

I look forward to your replies.

Thx,
Joe J.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 274 Posts

It depends what you mean by obsolete. It's a radio and will continue to do what it does. To expect that 5 years from now it will be able to run Android 15 and the latest Android apps or whatever level Android is at is unreasonable. Even Google only supports their phones for only three years after they were first released. Sometimes they do for longer then that but they're not liable do it for more then that.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 AM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

Originally Posted by WIC7Diver
RichS, it sounds like getting g those connectors in the right way worked. Glad to hear it’s moving forward. Also like the tidy mounts fir the harness. Great job.
WIC7Diver,
Yes, the connector change did the trick. I am such a Bozo. I didn't do the required reading. I just sat in front of the TV and hooked up the wiring to reruns of Big Bang Theory!
I got to check my cameras yesterday and all worked great there. I seem to have lost the antenna raise/lower function though. Probably another call to Axxess is in order.

I have re-thought the mounting of the peripherals, and I'm going to put them on top of the head unit itself by velcro'ing them to the slide-in rectangular bracket that comes with the unit. That way I'll be able to slide all of it in at once, and keep the harness wiring a little bit better controlled. I had used twist-on connectors, and now that the wiring scheme is proven, I'm going to solder and shrink sleeve all of it. I'll post a pic when done. After that, I'll brave the software jungle!

Last edited by RichSilvestris; 08-01-2020 at 10:52 AM.
WIC7Diver (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 03:03 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichSilvestris
I seem to have lost the antenna raise/lower function though. Probably another call to Axxess is in order.
FWIW I don't think Axxess will be able to help with the antenna. The antenna is purely controlled by the head unit.
My '01 Z06 seems to have endured a power antenna retrofit during a previous owner's tenure (among other various fun wiring/electrical mods I've had to undo). I don't know how it works when a power antenna was installed from the factory, but on mine there are 3 wires: constant +12V, Ground, and trigger. The trigger wire is what's hooked up to the Joying's antenna wire. Works just fine for mine / plug-&-play, didn't have to change any settings in the Joying to make it work.

I have re-thought the mounting of the peripherals, and I'm going to put them on top of the head unit itself by velcro'ing them to the slide-in rectangular bracket that comes with the unit. That way I'll be able to slide all of it in at once, and keep the harness wiring a little bit better controlled.
After seeing your previous install, this was the same thought I had... to mount them on top of the head unit itself. Should make for really tidy harnessing for sure!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:30 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

I'm starting on mine today. Was planning on using the AXXESS interface but since I already have the PAC-1 in there from my previous install guess I'm going to go with that..

Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Made some great progress on the volume control project this week! Took a bit of effort on the Arduino coding to get it working as I hoped/planned. But my bench testing shows the exact behavior I anticipated. And for fun I 3D printed a control ****. Just need to wire it up now!

For reference, these are the planned actions:
Volume up and down
Mute (or play/pause)
Skip forward and backward

But any of these behaviors can be changed since the user sets them on the Joying head unit.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 08-01-2020 at 06:23 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MetalMan2:
ArmchairArchitect (08-02-2020), jjanow (08-01-2020), Ltemple (08-01-2020), Nyt_Muves (08-20-2020), rpm462 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 AM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Making some progress. Took me a few seconds to find the volume and had some woman blaring at me in Russian or Chinese until I did!
Now getting ready to try and root it and see what happens. Where is everyone mounting the GPS antenna?

Old 08-02-2020, 04:02 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rpm462
Now getting ready to try and root it and see what happens. Where is everyone mounting the GPS antenna?
Mounted mine with a zip tie directly above where the Joying goes. So far it was able to get a pretty good signal even with being in my garage.

And now I have a video of the volume/media control in action!

Last edited by MetalMan2; 08-02-2020 at 04:02 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by MetalMan2:
ArmchairArchitect (08-03-2020), Fastbird (08-02-2020), Hero Danny (10-06-2021), ianmcgee67179 (11-08-2021), jjanow (08-02-2020), roegs (08-02-2020), rpm462 (08-02-2020), TheBac (08-02-2020), VetteNoob91 (08-03-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)

Old 08-02-2020, 04:11 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Mounted mine with a zip tie directly above where the Joying goes. So far it was able to get a pretty good signal even with being in my garage.

And now I have a video of the volume/media control in action!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZL28yzD000E

Are you talking on the unit itself behind the screen and below the AC duct and not on the dash?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...I seem to have lost the antenna raise/lower function though. Probably another call to Axxess is in order...
@RichSilvestris Uhm... Interesting! Have you also lost almost all bass?

I would first check Fuse 24. I suggest that in addition to a visual inspection, using a multimeter, you check voltage at both testing points on the upper edge of the fuse.

If Fuse 24 is fine, I would suggest checking the 12V trigger in the Blue/White - Orange/Black splice.

As you can see in the diagram and schematics below, a single trigger from Pin 8 Connector C1 in OEM Headunit Harness (DK GRN wire from CKT 145) is responsible for turning on/off the door-mounted subwoofer amps, as well as the Bose DSP module, AND raising/lowering the power antenna in convertibles.

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
FWIW I don't think Axxess will be able to help with the antenna. The antenna is purely controlled by the head unit.

My '01 Z06 seems to have endured a power antenna retrofit during a previous owner's tenure (among other various fun wiring/electrical mods I've had to undo). I don't know how it works when a power antenna was installed from the factory, but on mine there are 3 wires: constant +12V, Ground, and trigger. The trigger wire is what's hooked up to the Joying's antenna wire. Works just fine for mine / plug-&-play, didn't have to change any settings in the Joying to make it work...
See my reply above for a convertible factory-installed power antenna. Since yours is a Z06 with a power antenna retrofitted by a previous owner, it's very possible that he wired a separate trigger to the antenna, directly from the aftermarket headunit's dedicated antenna trigger.

Last edited by GCG; 08-02-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:28 PM
RichSilvestris
Instructor

MetalMan2 and GCG,

Thanks for the input.
Axxess also said that the antenna is controlled through the Bose Amp circuit. I made sure there was no open in the blue/white to orange black run. Then pulled the fuses and checked them with the meter. All looks okay, but the antenna still doesn't move. It's really hard to tell if the woofers are working when the only music I have is through the radio and the antenna won't go up! I have the FSM and I will be getting into it more, but I wanted to push ahead with the install and see my car back together. Maybe it will only be back together for a little while. Good practice I guess.
I changed my tactics and mounted the Axxess boxes and camera switch on the mount that comes with the head unit, then soldered all the connections that stayed with the assembly. I also managed to fish a length of rubber pipe insulation over the top of the glove box to keep the camera cables from rattling in there. Then did the same for the antenna wiring going up behind the HVAC head unit. See below.
When I put the bezel on I noticed the display was too far to the left and part of the black framing was showing on the right side. Taking the bezel off again was tough. The tabs at the top were really jammed in. So I used a piece of the pipe insulation as a shim to push the head unit to the right. Then I drilled the 1/4" HVAC head unit mounting holes out to 5/16" and took a little off the bottom of the mounting pegs so it could move down 1/32". The bezel went in a lot easier and the HVAC unit still looks fine. I can only guess that removing the bezel will be easier next time.

Side View with Attached

In Dash

Camera Cables in Foam

Last edited by RichSilvestris; 08-02-2020 at 05:31 PM.
chevyorange (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: FINALLY -- A Stereo/Head Unit that Fits in a C5 (mostly)