Sponsored by:

Supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 03:18 PM
Che vette
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Little update

The wife and I finally got it out Saturday it was probably in the mid 50’s out. I let the car warm up we was rolling 20 mph in 1st rolled into it immediately hit the rev limiter hit 2,3and fourth banging the rev limiter then let out zero traction but it sounded like a pissed off banshee lol so yeah car runs pretty good now even those 355/30 don’t stand a chance .Yesterday I ordered the pillar pod,boost gauge and an air fuel gauge from auto meter in the phantom series
Old 03-13-2023, 04:02 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Che vette
The wife and I finally got it out Saturday it was probably in the mid 50’s out. I let the car warm up we was rolling 20 mph in 1st rolled into it immediately hit the rev limiter hit 2,3and fourth banging the rev limiter then let out zero traction but it sounded like a pissed off banshee lol so yeah car runs pretty good now even those 355/30 don’t stand a chance .Yesterday I ordered the pillar pod,boost gauge and an air fuel gauge from auto meter in the phantom series
Nice! Not surprised on the traction or lack thereof. I swapped to Nitto NT555R2 DRs and my car hooks up really well with them on stock size rubber.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:12 PM
Che vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore
Nice! Not surprised on the traction or lack thereof. I swapped to Nitto NT555R2 DRs and my car hooks up really well with them on stock size rubber.
I told the wife I need new wheels and tires we’ll see how that goes lol
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 08:57 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

I told the wife I need new wheels and tires we’ll see how that goes lol
Tires fall into the "needs" not "wants" bucket, honey. For safety sake the car needs a better compound. You want me safe don't you?
Che vette (03-13-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 10:15 AM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Yup, new tires are in order. I had to upgrade mine after the supercharger as well. I started going sideways the very first time I got on it after the supercharger. I decided at that moment to upgrade both tires and suspension.
Johnny Hardcore (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 10:56 AM
Che vette
Racer

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
Yup, new tires are in order. I had to upgrade mine after the supercharger as well. I started going sideways the very first time I got on it after the supercharger. I decided at that moment to upgrade both tires and suspension.
sucks those are good sticky tires I have and suspension I’ve already did c6 zo6 shocks and zo6 leaf springs no sway bars yet but on the list . What kind of tires did you end up with?
Old 03-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Che vette
Racer

Tires fall into the "needs" not "wants" bucket, honey. For safety sake the car needs a better compound. You want me safe don't you?
I would push it but I just spent $2600 on tires for my daily ,it’s too cold out right now to be in the dog house
The following 3 users liked this post by Che vette:
cdee63 (03-14-2023), Johnny Hardcore (03-14-2023), Tusc (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:02 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

You're putting down more power, and have a more aggressive gear than I do, so I'm not sure what I'm using will work. I like to go fast around the twisties, so I opted for a max performance summer tire over a true DR like a Nitto 555. I currently run Pilot Super Sports. Unfortunately, Michelin doesn't make them anymore. As such, my next set will be Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. The super sports can still have some issues hooking, but they are WAY better than the all-season tires that I was running. You're putting down enough power that you may have to go to a drag radial. The other option would be a max performance summer tire, and just be careful with the throttle.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:12 PM
Che vette
Racer

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
You're putting down more power, and have a more aggressive gear than I do, so I'm not sure what I'm using will work. I like to go fast around the twisties, so I opted for a max performance summer tire over a true DR like a Nitto 555. I currently run Pilot Super Sports. Unfortunately, Michelin doesn't make them anymore. As such, my next set will be Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. The super sports can still have some issues hooking, but they are WAY better than the all-season tires that I was running. You're putting down enough power that you may have to go to a drag radial. The other option would be a max performance summer tire, and just be careful with the throttle.
if the wife is riding with me I have to idle it around but I’ll probably look into putting a dr on my wagon wheels won’t that look cool lol
MWWarlord (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:27 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,965 Posts

if the wife is riding with me I have to idle it around but I’ll probably look into putting a dr on my wagon wheels won’t that look cool lol
You're missing the clear solution.

You seek her approval for better tires. Yet you idle around town. I think it would behoove you to show her WHY you need better tires. I suggest a merge lane and an empty few lanes of road. Give it a goose and let it rotate left and right a few times. She'll be a true believer after that.

I did this once with a girlfriend in my new 2000 back in the day. Her family all drove the ubiquitous 80s Volvo 240s with no power or torque. We were just out for a cruise to the local car scene that particular Saturday evening and I was driving absolute sedately and soft shifting. We got a burger, went to the rolling car show at one end, went back the other and she had said a few times how I need to 'slow down!' and 'stop driving like a madman, you're scaring me.' God's absolute honest truth on my soul I swear to the above that I was babying the car and skipping gears and stuff because she had already said this twice. But when she Karen'd me the third time (and her name WAS Karen) my patience for her bullsh-t ended. So as we crested the steep rise and turned right out of McDonald's on the Berlin Turnpike (notorious car spot from the 60s to the early 2000s) I punched it in first and the car leaped up onto the three or four lane road ahead (stop light nearby, zero oncoming traffic), angled fully right (180* from where we had been) then corrected left (another 180* rotation) and then I backed it down with two or three light fishtails as I straightened it out and immediately went back to slow, sedate, easy driving and skipping gears and just idling it down the road as if nothing happened.

She cried like a baby in the passenger seat. And at the time I had zero remorse for the girl. But the message was clear: I WAS driving sedately and she just had no concept of what even basic Hondas felt like to drive vs her 4 cylinder, 2 ton wonder. It was funny though.... she never bothered me about it again!
Old 03-14-2023, 03:45 PM
Che vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Tusc
You're missing the clear solution.

You seek her approval for better tires. Yet you idle around town. I think it would behoove you to show her WHY you need better tires. I suggest a merge lane and an empty few lanes of road. Give it a goose and let it rotate left and right a few times. She'll be a true believer after that.

I did this once with a girlfriend in my new 2000 back in the day. Her family all drove the ubiquitous 80s Volvo 240s with no power or torque. We were just out for a cruise to the local car scene that particular Saturday evening and I was driving absolute sedately and soft shifting. We got a burger, went to the rolling car show at one end, went back the other and she had said a few times how I need to 'slow down!' and 'stop driving like a madman, you're scaring me.' God's absolute honest truth on my soul I swear to the above that I was babying the car and skipping gears and stuff because she had already said this twice. But when she Karen'd me the third time (and her name WAS Karen) my patience for her bullsh-t ended. So as we crested the steep rise and turned right out of McDonald's on the Berlin Turnpike (notorious car spot from the 60s to the early 2000s) I punched it in first and the car leaped up onto the three or four lane road ahead (stop light nearby, zero oncoming traffic), angled fully right (180* from where we had been) then corrected left (another 180* rotation) and then I backed it down with two or three light fishtails as I straightened it out and immediately went back to slow, sedate, easy driving and skipping gears and just idling it down the road as if nothing happened.

She cried like a baby in the passenger seat. And at the time I had zero remorse for the girl. But the message was clear: I WAS driving sedately and she just had no concept of what even basic Hondas felt like to drive vs her 4 cylinder, 2 ton wonder. It was funny though.... she never bothered me about it again!
she probably wouldn’t care honestly I just hate spending money I waited three years to supercharge it when she kept telling me to do it
The following 2 users liked this post by Che vette:
Burnt C6 (03-15-2023), cdee63 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:45 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

THAT is an excellent woman. Treat her well every day of your life.

My little wife is also a good soul. She just loves and supports and I do the same in return. She wants to buy a car and a house? So be it. I want to have the race car and keep / fix up my S600? Totally fine. Having had so many different examples in relationships over the years this is by far the more equal and fair and nonchalant. No barriers is awesome.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:58 PM
Che vette
Racer

THAT is an excellent woman. Treat her well every day of your life.

My little wife is also a good soul. She just loves and supports and I do the same in return. She wants to buy a car and a house? So be it. I want to have the race car and keep / fix up my S600? Totally fine. Having had so many different examples in relationships over the years this is by far the more equal and fair and nonchalant. No barriers is awesome.
yes sir you’re correct I do have a great wife she supports me i support her whatever she wants .She even puts up with me at car shows I’ll talk to them old men about their cars all day and she don’t care and one is next week in gatlinburg we’ll be going down next Thursday for the corvette expo taking my buddies 23 htc in torch red
The following 2 users liked this post by Che vette:
knewblewkorvette (03-17-2023), Tusc (03-14-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 10:17 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 836 Likes on 547 Posts

honestly, it sounds like you just need to get more familiar with the 98 throttle percentages between 1% & 100%. i'm laying down ~650tq from a PD blower on street tires & can reliably control it through all gears (though i've gotten sideways from smashing it in any of the first 4 gears). not ******* on you - just saying having a ton of power can still be controllable.

but as for tires, i've enjoyed the Falken RT615K+ set i'm running now. Nitto Invo was alright but let loose pretty easy when you got on it... planned on doing the 140TW NT05s but they kept sending 3-4yr old tires. that's when i went with the Falkens.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:24 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Your comments prompted me to look at the RT615K+ which I had not seen before. They don't currently have anything in 19" for my CCWs sadly.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:37 AM
Che vette
Racer

Originally Posted by _zebra
honestly, it sounds like you just need to get more familiar with the 98 throttle percentages between 1% & 100%. i'm laying down ~650tq from a PD blower on street tires & can reliably control it through all gears (though i've gotten sideways from smashing it in any of the first 4 gears). not ******* on you - just saying having a ton of power can still be controllable.

but as for tires, i've enjoyed the Falken RT615K+ set i'm running now. Nitto Invo was alright but let loose pretty easy when you got on it... planned on doing the 140TW NT05s but they kept sending 3-4yr old tires. that's when i went with the Falkens.
I hear ya I usually don’t beat on the car but that was the first time out on the new set up just wanted to see what it’d do
Old 03-16-2023, 06:55 AM
Che vette
Racer

Your comments prompted me to look at the RT615K+ which I had not seen before. They don't currently have anything in 19" for my CCWs sadly.
guess I won’t look I’m running 19” too
Tusc (03-16-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharging

Old 03-16-2023, 08:44 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

I hear ya I usually don’t beat on the car but that was the first time out on the new set up just wanted to see what it’d do
I beat the ever loving snot out of my car. It's much more capable a machine than I am a pilot. That's for certain. My limitations are met far before the car's. The DR's help keep the *** where it belongs when mashing the long pedal.

None the less, to Zebra's point, I also don't typically treat the throttle like an ON/OFF switch. If I do it's for purposeful tire smoking exhibition and nothing more.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:54 AM
Che vette
Racer

I beat the ever loving snot out of my car. It's much more capable a machine than I am a pilot. That's for certain. My limitations are met far before the car's. The DR's help keep the *** where it belongs when mashing the long pedal.

None the less, to Zebra's point, I also don't typically treat the throttle like an ON/OFF switch. If I do it's for purposeful tire smoking exhibition and nothing more.
I’ll get used to the power might take awhile I usually put about 1000 miles per year on it but man the sound with the blower and cam damn that car sounds amazing
Old 03-16-2023, 11:55 AM
Burnt C6
Le Mans Master

Received 208 Likes on 89 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11,'22-'23

I just ordered a set of those off Tire Rack Tuesday but in stock size front and 295/40/18 rears. I had to replace the 10 year old Nittos on the car even though they only had 6K on them. the previous owner didn't drive her much . Since the Cam and Blower is being installed now I want fresh rubber on the ground.

I was also looking at the Yokohama ADVAN NEOVA AD09 but those were going to run me another $350. there were only a couple of reviews on them so I just wasn't sure.
Tusc (03-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Supercharging