C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Axle/Halfshaft boot, cheaper to get new axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing Axle/Halfshaft boot, cheaper to get new axle?

My mechanic has been working on replacing my transmission for the past week and today he finally got it out and told me i had a torn axle boot. He says it would probably be cheaper to buy a whole new axel than to pay for the boot and the labor to put it on. What do you think? Should i just have a dealer do it? I told him just to make sure theres atleast some grease in it and put it back on becuase i'll take care of it.

Whats the average cost of replacing an axle boot? I know they are like $45 for a new one. I was thinking superglue might hold it depending on how bad the tear is becuase i've never seen it. Would it be cheaper just to buy a new axle? Where could i get either of them?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The boots are hard to find, at least the OEM ones. I removed my axle and took it to an axle shop and they charged me $25 I think for labor and the boot (which was kind of universal but it fit good). I guess it would be more if I had had someone take it out but that is maybe 1/2 hour's worth of labor and that labor would be charged whether you replaced the axle or had a new boot put on.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
TheLaserShop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
My mechanic has been working on replacing my transmission for the past week and today he finally got it out and told me i had a torn axle boot. He says it would probably be cheaper to buy a whole new axel than to pay for the boot and the labor to put it on. What do you think? Should i just have a dealer do it? I told him just to make sure theres atleast some grease in it and put it back on becuase i'll take care of it.

Whats the average cost of replacing an axle boot? I know they are like $45 for a new one. I was thinking superglue might hold it depending on how bad the tear is becuase i've never seen it. Would it be cheaper just to buy a new axle? Where could i get either of them?

Thanks,

Shawn
Your going to die when you find out how much GM wants for the CV boot clamps. If you dont replace the boot or fix the hole you will sling grease everywhere. Bet your mechanic tore it anyway.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Super glue isn't going to cut it.. I'd replace the whole axle, if I were doing the work myself.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

He says he didnt, i know i checked the car before i brought it to him and didnt see anything. He said there's grease everywhere but i dunno. I thoguht they were filled with oil or something. How much are new axels and where can i get them?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 PM
JackTsDBG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both the inner and outer replaced, but not at the same time. The inner one went first and the outer tore about 6 months later, same side. Inner was about $300 or so. Outer was about $105. This was done with a Warranty Direct warranty at a Corvette only shop.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

It's more expensive to replace the axle then it is to replace the boot, when you buy the boot it comes as a kit with the boot both clamps and some grease.

I have one kit thats brand new in the box I never used, it's for the outer if your interested I'll let you have it for $50 shipped to your front door.

BTW the part number is 88952506

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Axle/Halfshaft boot, cheaper to get new axle?

Quick Reply: Replacing Axle/Halfshaft boot, cheaper to get new axle?