C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code C1214?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Z06 Number 8,298
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code C1214?

Hey guys, I have the problem of seeing "service active handling", "service traction control". and "service ABS." After reading the codes, the only one that is active is C1214. I have found out that is some sort of solenoid in the active handling system. Anybody know where that sensor is located for my personal replacement? I hate the dealership.........
Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Bobrob
Heel & Toe

Got the same problem days ago. Looking for a solution. I will start checking all electrical and ground connections. Looking for some support on this site and noticed an interesting article regarding the grounding problems. Hate to think the problem is the EBCM/BPMV.

I have a Z06 2001.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Hey guys... The first thing to try is cleaning the grounds and contacts on the EBCM. I have a write-up on the procedure w/pics. PM me with your EMail address if you want it.

If cleaning the contacts and grounds doesn't resolve your problem, the next best thing is to have your EBCM re-built. Here's a cut and paste of vendors that have been used successfully in the past;

1. well just wanted to let everyone with this problem know found a place to get this thing repaired and after talkin with Brandon got him to repair and upgrade it for 150.00 plus 8.00 for return next day air .
this is a great price if ya look at cost to replace and customer service was also great. he will gurantee the ecbm for as long as you own the car.So if ya have this problem give him a call , site is absfixer.com or call 877-648-7530 let him know ya heard about him on the form.

2. The name of the company is Auto&Truck Electronics. I am in no way affiliated with them, nor do I recieve any discount or monetary consideration for making this post. I'm making this post in an effort to save you guys some $$$ and hopefully help to prevent future failures given the problematic part could fail again if replaced with another flawed design part(assuming they haven't corrected whatever tends to break). I was a bit leary of this whole deal since I didn't have any references to say it was a good deal, or they did good work etc...
So if anything use me as sort of a guinnea pig in this matter. I had a GREAT experience both with the service of the rep and of the part they fixed for me. In my opinion it's $$ well spent to both save alot of $$$, but also, from what I'm lead to believe, have a much smaller chance of having the part break again. They have a 5yr warranty on their work as well. Their # is 1-800-550-0674

3. I had to have my EBCM re-built 4 months ago. Put it back in the car and no more codes. The company I used is on ebay, but I contacted them directly at http://autoecu.com/ Their phone # is at the bottom of the web page.

Hope this helps you guys out!

Last edited by tstar; 04-21-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:08 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default more defective EBCMs....

Do what tstar says in item 1. This is your best option. Code C1214 is your EBCM. I also have the whole procedure with photos on this problem and have sent it to many others with the same problem. I replaced mine ($650.00!!) before we knew about Brandon at absfixer.com....just let me know I can also help...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yep!!! GM uses crappy Delphi relays in their electronic modules. The Electronic module re-builders use better design relays and even guarantee their work. 90% of the time the 1214 DTC is EBTCM fatal. Get your module rebuilt. If you purchase a new EBTCM, sooner or later, the problem will show up again.

The module is a plug and play and can be easily changed DIY! When you remove the module there is not an interface with the brake fluid. It is a dry module and has electric solenoids that fit over poppet valves.

I have pictures but can access them here at work.

BC
Old 04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Bobrob
Heel & Toe

Yesterday I sprayed the Ground connections 101 and 102 with WD-40 and wiggled these contacts as well as the ones one the EBCM - and after warming up the engine and restarting it - everything works just fine. Will dismantel and cean the contacts properly - hopefully that is my problem - if not, I'll ask you for a copy of your details. Thanks for great response and support,

Robert
Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Illini82
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07

absfixer.com is your friend

I had mine done about a month ago, and everything is back to normal
Old 04-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Bfail
Instructor

I have had a "service abs" AND "service system traction control"...I am assuming this is going to be this module as well correct?

I fired up my car once today, and it showed these warnings? I started it up 2 or 3 times after that, no warnings at all.... Went to lunch, the warnings came back on???

Do I need to get a new module? Get my existing one cleaned? Any help?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Bfail
Instructor

any good locations to check this checked out in Dallas/Addison Area?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:58 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bfail
I have had a "service abs" AND "service system traction control"...I am assuming this is going to be this module as well correct?

I fired up my car once today, and it showed these warnings? I started it up 2 or 3 times after that, no warnings at all.... Went to lunch, the warnings came back on???

Do I need to get a new module? Get my existing one cleaned? Any help?

Thanks
Check your codes, if you have C 1214, then yes your EBCM needs some "attention"...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Bfail
Instructor

Originally Posted by tstar
Check your codes, if you have C 1214, then yes your EBCM needs some "attention"...
Ok, I am very neive to electronics with this car, I havent owned it but 4 months, so I havent had much time to study the electrical components. I'm assuming you mean the codes in the manuel? If i'm way off please correct me, I would like to know.....thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Z06 Number 8,298
Cruising

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sending it to Brandon this week. This will stop all codes being thrown and turn off the trouble lights for the ABS and Traction Control? My TC hasnt been working since this started. Is it the same problem?

Thanks again guys, very helpful.
-Nick
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
bluvette79
Pro

Ok, I am very neive to electronics with this car, I havent owned it but 4 months, so I havent had much time to study the electrical components. I'm assuming you mean the codes in the manuel? If i'm way off please correct me, I would like to know.....thanks
the codes are read in the driver's information center (the screen that says "corvette when you start her up. look up "read codes" for the process using the buttons to the right of your gauges. i have to look it up every time myself until i made a print out of the post after i searched it. the codes are then translated by using a site on line. pm me if you cant find info in search and i will get off of my lazy butt and try to find it for you! it's easy though. what to do after you know what the code means is the mechanical issue!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

The "diagnostic display" mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the "reset" button to turn off any warning messages
3) Press and hold "options" , press "fuel" four times within a 10-second period.
When first engaged the on-board diagnostics go into an "automatic" mode.
The computer will show two kinds of codes, "current" and "history," designated "C" or "H". A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the system whose module is displaying data. A history code indicates a past problem.
When the screen displays "manual diagnostics," select the desired module by pressing the "options" button to go forward or the "trip" button to go back. Press "gages" to go forward or "fuel" to go back for each code under a module.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press "E/M". If you want to erase or "clear" codes, press, "reset."

Originally Posted by Z06 Number 8,298
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sending it to Brandon this week. This will stop all codes being thrown and turn off the trouble lights for the ABS and Traction Control? My TC hasnt been working since this started. Is it the same problem?
Thanks again guys, very helpful.
-Nick
Very possibly, check your codes as outlined above and see if C 1214 is in there, if so the EBCM repair should fix you up!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Bobrob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bobrob
Yesterday I sprayed the Ground connections 101 and 102 with WD-40 and wiggled these contacts as well as the ones one the EBCM - and after warming up the engine and restarting it - everything works just fine. Will dismantel and cean the contacts properly - hopefully that is my problem - if not, I'll ask you for a copy of your details. Thanks for great response and support,

Robert
Just to let you know. I took apart and cleaned the Ground connections #101 and #102 on the fron main rails. The #101 had an almost loose nut and the contact areas were black, like burnt or having some black oxide on the surfaces. I cleand it with some sand gritting paper and sprayed with WD-40 and put them all together again. No C1214 error code since ... 24 hours. Looks like the Ground connections are first thing to check.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Bobrob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bobrob
Just to let you know. I took apart and cleaned the Ground connections #101 and #102 on the fron main rails. The #101 had an almost loose nut and the contact areas were black, like burnt or having some black oxide on the surfaces. I cleand it with some sand gritting paper and sprayed with WD-40 and put them all together again. No C1214 error code since ... 24 hours. Looks like the Ground connections are first thing to check.
It lasted for a week. Now the C1214 code is back again and I guess I will have to send the EBCM in for a rebuild service.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
journalman
Cruising

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't WD-40 sort of an insulator. I believe it is oil plus kerosene. So it might interfere in making a good contact?

Get notified of new replies

To Code C1214?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Bobrob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by journalman
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't WD-40 sort of an insulator. I believe it is oil plus kerosene. So it might interfere in making a good contact?
No, in Europ and Sweden this product is a contact spray just like CRC 5-56 ;=)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
sal's 98 Vette
Instructor

please email me the procedure and pic.
i have a 98 and ABSFIXER told we they can only fix starting 99 model.thanks for your help.
email me at salvador.lazo@martekpower.com
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default EBCM Procedure

Originally Posted by sal's 98 Vette
please email me the procedure and pic.
i have a 98 and ABSFIXER told we they can only fix starting 99 model.thanks for your help.
email me at salvador.lazo@martekpower.com
Sal, I just emailed my file on this to you. Hope it helps, Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code C1214?