C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Switch / Blinker Arm Removal: A How-To

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM
customworksking
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gr8 writeup !
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
tony812
Heel & Toe

Default c5 fuses for wiper burning

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
Thanks for the compliments guys! It's nice to see that people are already benefitting from this.

Best part is, I threw this together at work so I got PAID to do it!

(and I'm getting paid for posting this too... )

*looks over shoulder for the Boss...*
Maybe you can help me too. As soon as I turn on the ignition switch and I don't even have to start the car the wiper fuse burns out. Of course the wipers aren't working. I also tried the wiper motor without connect the plug to the motor and the fuse burns out as soon as I turn the ignition switch to on. Can you help me with this? Montreal.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tony812
Maybe you can help me too. As soon as I turn on the ignition switch and I don't even have to start the car the wiper fuse burns out. Of course the wipers aren't working. I also tried the wiper motor without connect the plug to the motor and the fuse burns out as soon as I turn the ignition switch to on. Can you help me with this? Montreal.
The wires that come out of the wiper control switch go straight thru the drivers side fire wall and into the wiper well. You either have a short inside the plug in the wiper well, a short in the wiring from the switch to the connector in the well or the switch is bad.

BC
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 PM
tony812
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The wires that come out of the wiper control switch go straight thru the drivers side fire wall and into the wiper well. You either have a short inside the plug in the wiper well, a short in the wiring from the switch to the connector in the well or the switch is bad.

BC
Hi Bill and thanks for getting back to me. This is what I've done so far. When got into the wiper well I noticed that the wiring black & green the copper was exposed so I put some electrical tape around them - I also notice a rubber gromit that these wires are coming from that probably go back to the switch but didn't go any further than that. Would you happen to have some diagram or link on how to remove this switch. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
tony812
Heel & Toe

Default wiper problem

Hi Bill and thanks for getting back to me. This is what I've done so far. When got into the wiper well I noticed that the wiring black & green the copper was exposed so I put some electrical tape around them - I also notice a rubber gromit that these wires are coming from that probably go back to the switch but didn't go any further than that. Would you happen to have some diagram or link on how to remove this switch. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
tony812
Heel & Toe

Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just follow thi post instructions and take the wiper switch out. Its like three screws and a connector. Simple as that.

BC
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
rick4grafx
Instructor

Great Right up and info. . . . . BUT, if you have a 2002 or newer ( I assume), with telescopic steering column, this won't work for the windshield washer/wiper switch, the torx screws are completely under the horn ring, and there is no way to remove them, especially the bottom one without pulling the steering wheel. God knows I wish the procedure would work, I got all the way to the part where you use the torx bit with the 1/4 inch wrench, before I realized that there wasn't going to be even close to enough room to remove the bottom torx screw. I could see however, that the headlight multiswitch would still be able to be removed, the torx screw is just past the horn ring.

rick
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
HD_Honey
5th Gear

ABSOLUTE LIFESAVER!!!! Thanks a million for posting this in such great detail! My vacation depended on my being able to get the car repaired within days--My husband looked at my "mess" when everything was apart & thought I was nuts & was totally convinced I would be unable to complete the task! HEHEHE!! DONE! Enjoying sunny Florida with my sister & cousins as I type!
Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
vets2vette
Intermediate

I removed my switch earlier during this past week, took the switch apart, but it was done. I just received my new switch and will put everything back together today! Thank you for those great instructions from all C5 Corvette owners here at Ft Bragg NC
Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 AM
doninfosys
1st Gear

This saved me $700. Bending the contact brace was pretty easy, as long as you dont bend it too far. No need to remove the center console, slid right out on a 1999.

The large orange and thin brown (or purple) wire connect to each side of the contact. (Orange on end of loom and thin brwon just to the opposite side of center). You can validate with a continuity checker with the contact open and closed. I soldered a jumper wire on each of those wires. If the conact ever fails in the future, I'll just put a switch on those externally accssible jumper wires and turn the lights on that way, instead of taking the switch apart again.

Last edited by doninfosys; 09-17-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Douglfr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just wanted to say thanks. I just got my first Corvett and you folks have made it so easy to work on by post like this. Why would anyone put thier car into unfamiliar hands with Step by Step instruction like these. I love working on my car.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Great Information

I will be doing this repair. My low beams do not come on all the time when I turn on the headlight switch.

This looks about the same difficulty level as repairing my ignition switch a few years ago. The contacts were black and corroded.

I'm going to check my chassis grounds too.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM
1320b4you
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tackled this tonight...also did the associated thread on bending the contacts...AWESOME!...saved me big time...works like a charm...thank you sir!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
thrasher64
Advanced

I've had to do this on both of my C5's for the same issue, super helpful.

Along with this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...f-replace.html
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Barry
5th Gear

Thanks for the info it was a big help.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM
93Ruby
Intermediate

This awesome post definitely saved me some serious time. Thanks again!
Anyone looking for this part can find it at Amazon for $122.50.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Switch / Blinker Arm Removal: A How-To

Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
cookie7
Advanced

Default dash &tail lights not working;With switch

Wow is this fourm GREAT,Fantastic write up; did mine in about 1 1/2 hrs,took the extra time to lube the tilt mech real good whilst in there not as intimidating as one would think....To The Top
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
jward2496
Advanced

Do you have a write up for the wiper switch?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 AM
BGDDYKWL
Advanced

My headlights will pop up, turn on, but then usually after a minute or so the lights will go out (headlights stay up). Fog lights still work, and then occasionally during the drive the headlights will turn back on. Then when I shut the car (and lights) the headlights will remain up and when I get out of the car that bell dings telling me my lights are still on (even though they are turned off). My turn signals sometimes work and sometimes don't, and now today the dash lights were out and the screen showing the temperature (below the radio) also was out. Took it to the shop and they said it was the multi-function switch, and I was looking at roughly a $600 repair. Based on the problems described, is the multi-function switch likely the culprit? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Headlight Switch / Blinker Arm Removal: A How-To