C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing cats...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing cats...

I want to go catless but who sells MIL eliminators? I dont really want to have a check engine light, nor do I want to pull the bulb. Anyone use them?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Targa98
I want to go catless but who sells MIL eliminators? I dont really want to have a check engine light, nor do I want to pull the bulb. Anyone use them?
Therer against the law to sell, good luck finding them.

You live in Jersey where they check for them so car will fail inspection, plus you won't be able to sell the car without putting them back on or the next owner might sue you.

All of this for 3 hp ???????
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You can have the rear sensors tuned out with something like EFI LIVE or HP TUNERS BUT,,,,,,like it was stated by ajg1915.

You will only gain a couple of HP
You will most likely NOT pass emissions.
It will cause the car to smell bad (You will tire quickly of the small and so will the female passengers)
What will you gain???

It really isnt worth it unless you have an all out track car that is used on the TRACK!

BC
Old 07-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Anyone can do anything but that doesn't make it "right". Please don't remove your cats..
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Targa98
Instructor

hahaha, they are coming OFF! I don't do cats. Never have. I can wire in resistors if need be. Since when do they not sell eliminators???
Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Targa98
Instructor

im offended that no one agrees with me. I dont want damn DAISIES growing from my exhaust. I dont want to smell roses after I do a burnout. Real cars dont use cats. I want to smell burnt fuel. I like it. It turns me on. I don't wake up every morning and try to think of a way I can help the EPA.

Sorry about the rant. It's just not natural to have a pipe that is meant to extract a gas and then put stuff in the way of it. I don't like that. Mufflers are ok, because well designed systems will actually make more power than straight pipes. I build cars that go fast. This is a corvette, not a prius.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

hahaha, they are coming OFF! I don't do cats. Never have. I can wire in resistors if need be. Since when do they not sell eliminators???

Since the Dept of Justice, at the request of the EPA, nailed the manufacturer ......

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2007/July/07_enrd_490.html

No more O2 sims .... everyone dropped them like a hot potato after this action.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:20 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

im offended that no one agrees with me. I dont want damn DAISIES growing from my exhaust. I dont want to smell roses after I do a burnout. Real cars dont use cats. I want to smell burnt fuel. I like it. It turns me on. I don't wake up every morning and try to think of a way I can help the EPA.
Wow ... you're a MAN ... no ... make that a MANLY MAN .... I'm impressed .....

There's a whole community of guys here in San Francisco who would LOVE to meet you .....

No cats .... I gotta say an erection was the last excuse I ever thought I'd hear ......

Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Targa98
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Wow ... you're a MAN ... no ... make that a MANLY MAN .... I'm impressed .....

There's a whole community of guys here in San Francisco who would LOVE to meet you .....

No cats .... I gotta say an erection was the last excuse I ever thought I'd hear ......

hahahaha, yep, i get rock hard when I smell unraped exhaust. Its so virgin.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your best bet is to just have it tuned out but sometimes you can get lucky and find some sims, check on LS1tech.com, some of the fbody guys will usually have some for sale.

P.S. I dont have any cats either, I am a "every hp counts" guy
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 712 Likes on 392 Posts

Sorry about the rant. It's just not natural to have a pipe that is meant to extract a gas and then put stuff in the way of it. I don't like that. Mufflers are ok, because well designed systems will actually make more power than straight pipes. I build cars that go fast. This is a corvette, not a prius.
You're offended by those that don't agree with you?

I was offended by the stench of exhaust fumes from my own car for the last 2 1/2 years from running no cats.

I did a custom 3" exhaust with some high flow cats, and now I can get out of the car after a long drive without my shirt stinking like unburned gas!

To each their own, I guess.

Your car will still go fast with good high flow cats.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

QUOTE "Mufflers are ok, because well designed systems will actually make more power than straight pipes."

Thats inaccurate! Mufflers are a restriction to the out flow of gasses from an engine. (air pump). If you run an exhaust system without mufflers, you just need to tune the exhaust system (open without mufflers and the engine to properly work together and that will make more power. I guess dragsters should run mufflers for more power!

So,,,come and man up! Rip those cats AND mufflers out and be all you can be! That will show them!

BC
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Say'n Somthin
Advanced

I tweaked my pup cats and put the R.T. high flow cats on. It then through a code to which I had it tuned out. Your better off with a tune cause I believe the sims will only last for so long. I paid $100 for a good street tune and the problem was solved.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess there are some guys that Still insist on dragging there knuckles when they walk!! Just for the record they complete the burn of the fuel,they don't extract anything!! Personally I'd leave them on because they don't hurt performance.30 years ago it helped,,but that was when they had low compression,carburetted V8s with primitive catted single exhaust!! To me,when you can be knocking on the door of high 12s with a stock car with cats and on Goodyear runflats seems kind of assanine to take them off!! Just MY opinion though,,,To each their own!! PS I still have some rubber dust/traction compound on my rear fender edge that I still need to clean off,,it does burn outs just fine thank you very much!!

Last edited by itzza427; 07-13-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

How old are you again?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:41 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IBUID40
How old are you again?
I'd say about 12!!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Targa98
Instructor

im 20, and ive built 4 race cars now in my own shop. My best friend studied at SAM (holds the record for fastest N/A small block, Fastest LS1 stock suspension camaro, etc.). So tell me I don't know whats good for power. Race mufflers have been DYNO PROVEN to make more power than staight pipes unless you are talking about dragsters but they arent making power from a finely tuned exhaust system, they aren't naturally aspirated. So please don't argue with me, i promise I know what I'm talking about. I'm not here telling anyone else they can't use cats so don't attack me. I'm not going to use high flow cats. I am not willing to spend a bunch of money for nothing. I don't mind the smell of exhaust. Just trying to find someone willing to help me.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing cats...

Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

im 20, and ive built 4 race cars now in my own shop. My best friend studied at SAM (holds the record for fastest N/A small block, Fastest LS1 stock suspension camaro, etc.). So tell me I don't know whats good for power. Race mufflers have been DYNO PROVEN to make more power than staight pipes unless you are talking about dragsters but they arent making power from a finely tuned exhaust system, they aren't naturally aspirated. So please don't argue with me, i promise I know what I'm talking about. I'm not here telling anyone else they can't use cats so don't attack me. I'm not going to use high flow cats. I am not willing to spend a bunch of money for nothing. I don't mind the smell of exhaust. Just trying to find someone willing to help me.
Well, since you have personally built 4 race cars, and you have your own shop, I would think an expert such as yourself would know exactly what to do when removing cats, and how to turn off the rear sensors. I can only assume with your vast years of experience, that you are a tuner also, so this should be no problem for you. This forum will not serve you well, come back in 10 years when you realize you don't know everything.

By the way, I thought I knew everything when I was 20, so don't worry.......it's not a permanent affliction......you'll get better.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

20 years of age .... knows everything .... and wants help because you have no clue ...... talk about an oxymoron ..... or just a moron ......

Only idiots take the cats off their cars .... good luck finding "help" from the few folks that have done it .... most can't read or write .....

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 AM
peterc5oz
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
20 years of age .... knows everything .... and wants help because you have no clue ...... talk about an oxymoron ..... or just a moron ......

Only idiots take the cats off their cars .... good luck finding "help" from the few folks that have done it .... most can't read or write .....

A very BROAD statement BLACK Z06 .
I have a forced induction c5 that covers a total of about 800 miles a year including three or four track days.
I tried high flow cats on two occasions from two manufacturers (even though the car did more track than road work I wanted to do the "RIGHT THING") but as soon as I used the car on the track the cats would fail .
NOW !! to the point ......
I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF AN IDIOT NOR ILLITERATE and I take offence to your suggestion that I am. The idea of a forum is for discussion not JUDGEMENT.

Quick Reply: Removing cats...