C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Optima Red Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The first Optima red top I owned vented battery acid all over the place. Completely ruptured on the bottom of the battery. The battery was four years old, and there might have been a contributing problem that caused it to leak...it overheated. I cooked the plastic end cup on the main alternator lead. I though I was having an electrical issue with the stereo or the alternator...but, I replaced it with a new one and no problems.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Dave68
placing an absorbent mat underneath prevents the battery from being able to slip under the hold-down lip.
In a day or two, the weight of the battery will compress the absorbent
mat enough to permit full engagement of the hold-down lip and clamp to the battery.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I wish I would have used an acid absorbing mat under the battery ... will next time if possible. I'm assuming you can get the mats at any big autoparts store.
Some auto parts stores have them. If you can't find one locally, here's a link to an online source.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat.html
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jrose7004
What are some brands that are gel?
There ARE non that I'm aware of. Gels are not for automotive use anyway.

El Zappo is exactly right. Optimas, Exides, etc are AGM batteries, NOT "gel" batteries. "Gel" batteries are generally small back-up batteries or primary power sources for various kinds of LOW current electronic applications.

Use of the term "gel" is yet another misnomer quite common in popular culture.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
El Zappo is exactly right. Optimas, Exides, etc are AGM batteries, NOT "gel" batteries.

AGM batteries may be somewhat more leak resistant than conventional lead acid batteries, but they are certainly NOT leak proof. They still contain sulphuric acid, which is absorbed in a sponge-like glass matting.

In my opinion, AGM batteries are not worth the extra cost.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
The first Optima red top I owned vented battery acid all over the place. Completely ruptured on the bottom of the battery. The battery was four years old, and there might have been a contributing problem that caused it to leak...it overheated. I cooked the plastic end cup on the main alternator lead. I though I was having an electrical issue with the stereo or the alternator...but, I replaced it with a new one and no problems.
I don't believe I have any electrical issues that would have contributed to this battery leaking. In your case, it sounds like maybe the battery had high internal resistance that caused the guts to heat up during charging. Guess mine could be starting to get high internal resistance that caused it to heat up during charging, but I never felt the case after a drive to see if it was running warm, so can't back up the theory.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
In a day or two, the weight of the battery will compress the absorbent
mat enough to permit full engagement of the hold-down lip and clamp to the battery.
Ah, if only I had a hydraulic press in my garage!

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave68
Ah, if only I had a hydraulic press in my garage!

Thanks.
Dremel or sand the battery lip so it slides under the lip on the tray.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Ah, if only I had a Dremel tool!........just kidding - I do have a Dremel and 100 bits, waiting for action! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
chrismullins99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and checked a customer's optima the other day because he said it was leaking, and I didn't really believe him. But he was correct, I guess they leak every once in a while. His was leaking from the top and not the terminals.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Dave68
Race Director

How old was it? In any case, that's not reassuring for those who spend the big bucks to get an AGM battery. It's kinda like buying runflats and discovering that the sidewall collapsed and separated, taking out a chunk of fiberglass and leaving you stranded.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that settles it, all batteries can leak no matter what brand they are since there can always be a few defects made with mass production.

P.S. None of my Optima's ever leaked and this is the first time I ever read about a leaky Optima. At least they are not like the OEM batteries that were destroying the computer harness' under them.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chrismullins99
I went and checked a customer's optima the other day because he said it was leaking, and I didn't really believe him. But he was correct, I guess they leak every once in a while. His was leaking from the top and not the terminals.
I think mine is leaking from where the top red piece mates to the grey bottom case, and the leak just happens to be close to the negative terminal, so it looks like it's the terminal leaking. If you look at my photos closely, you can see there is no acid on the actual negative terminal or bolt ... it's all below the terminal connection.

It looks like the top plastic piece is melted to the grey bottom case in order to seal them together ... so I guess there's always a chance that the plastic seal job isn't 100%. I just got unlucky on this one.

Does anyone know off the top of thier head what Optima's warranty on their Red Tops? I haven't had a chance to contact them yet due to being out of town ... but will be calling them next week for sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Does anyone know off the top of thier head what Optima's warranty on their Red Tops?
It looks like it's 36 months free replacement, with an additional 36 months of prorated coverage. Here's a link to their warranty info.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/warranty.html
Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nextime
Well that settles it, all batteries can leak no matter what brand they are since there can always be a few defects made with mass production.

P.S. None of my Optima's ever leaked and this is the first time I ever read about a leaky Optima. At least they are not like the OEM batteries that were destroying the computer harness' under them.
Yes all batteries can LEAK! I am on a optima Battery watch as my origional Delco leaked and it took me hours to clean, prime paint and repair.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
It looks like it's 36 months free replacement, with an additional 36 months of prorated coverage. Here's a link to their warranty info.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/warranty.html
Quicksilver ... thanks for the link. I'll be calling Optima on Monday. Mine is a little over 4 years old, but since it leaked acid on my car I'm going to see if they will give me a new replacement. Besides, I believe it's been leaking some for awhile before I discovered it last week.

What are my chances of getting two in a row that leak? Don't answer that ....
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Mine is a little over 4 years old, but since it leaked acid on my car I'm going to see if they will give me a new replacement.
I can't see why they would not be VERY accomodating to your warranty claim. Their battery leaked acid, and certainly hurt their reputation. Be persistant about it!

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Optima Red Top

Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Quicksilver ... thanks for the link. I'll be calling Optima on Monday. Mine is a little over 4 years old, but since it leaked acid on my car I'm going to see if they will give me a new replacement. Besides, I believe it's been leaking some for awhile before I discovered it last week.

What are my chances of getting two in a row that leak? Don't answer that ....
FWIW, my first one lasted approx 5 years and I replaced it as a preventative measure. No leaks. Didn't want to wait until one day I heard the dreaded "click.......click".

The replacement I have now is doing fine.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by white top
Suggest everyone use one of those acid nuetralizing mats under the battery no matter what kind of battery you use. my .02
Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by nextime

I see so much misinformation on the Forum about batteries. Its a topic that I've taken a lot of interest in as I've had all of the common problems. I've had a leaky AC Delco, a dead Optima Red Top, an Optima Red Top that's survived for 5 years+ and I now use a Yellow Top on a tender.

I'd say nextime is spot on. Any battery has a case ( statement of the obvious). With misuse or heavy handling any case could split. The original Delphi manufactured AC Delco batteries had a design fault that allowed the posts to be damaged if over torqued. Thats whay many of us here went the AGM route.

The point about the AGM that most miss is that the Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) "soaks" up the battery electrolyte and prevents major leakage should damage occur. The more complex design costs $$ and its a judgement call whether you think its worth it.

An AGM battery can leak although its rare to see leaky Optimas. The Optima is a robust design but it's not tolerant to discharge. If you dont keep it topped off, either though low useage or a drain it can let you down. By contrast, anyone still using an OEM AC Delco of 97-01 vintage is sitting on a timebomb IMHO

The later designs are generally better so you can buy most replacement batteries, AGM or lead acid, and rest easy . Bottom, line to get back to the original point; I'd say any time you suffer a leak for any reason you should go back to the manufacturer and seek a replacement. Unless you dropped it, they shouldn't do that

Last edited by DeeGee; 03-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaking Optima Red Top