C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential "whine"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Cirias1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer check it before, they found nothing wrong with it. My vette has about 20,000 miles, dealer said it all checked out. I will have them look at it again, I' ll get back to you. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Cirias1
I had the dealer check it before, they found nothing wrong with it. My vette has about 20,000 miles, dealer said it all checked out. I will have them look at it again, I' ll get back to you. Thanks for the input.
Well,, You keep spelling it wrong It spelled STEALER As in STEALESHIP!

In my honest opinion, I would stay clear of the stealerships as they often charge way too much and don't always have the proper talent to troubleshoot things that are not blatantly broken... There are exceptions but they are very rare.

BC
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your C5 didn't make any weird noises when it ws new, so its NOT normal now.

BC
Old 07-19-2021, 04:42 PM
Oswaldo Acuaheretik
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same noise

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Does it sound like this video? Mine started as a ringing between 50-60mph, and developed into a gear whine. Always at the same speed. I isolated it to the diff by putting on jackstands, and having a helper run it up to speed, while I snoop underneath on a creeper. It was easy to find the source. It was fixed with a new ring & pinion from RPM transmissions.

I have the same problem in my C5 '98 the same annoying noise coming from differential , so you say i need a new ring and the pinion to fix it? im going to take off the diff, to get repair it, but i wanted to know what differential internal parts will i need!

THANK YOU! GREETINGS!

Quick Reply: Differential "whine"