C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
The wheels are lug-centric. The lugs for Hub-centric wheels do not have tapered lugs.

Hog wash
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
So what size rings are needed to fit in the OEM C6 wheels? I want to be prepared for the day I get a C6, as I have a feeling my first trip will be to the tire shop to get them put on!
With all due respect I think that's silly. Lug-centric/hub-centric I've never had any problems with the wheels on my Corvette....either with the OEM wheels or the sets of CCW wheels I use now. I also use so-called hub-centric spacers on the very wide front wheels I use for the track.

Also, I've never done a final torque of the lug nuts while the car is in the air. I change wheels/tires frequently. With the car in the air I 'hang' the wheel on the studs. Pushing the wheel in I power-spin my open-ended lug nuts on in a 'star' pattern centering the wheel on the studs. I then (still with the wheel in the air) make another pass tightening the lug nuts (by hand) with a socket and swivel extension bar. This gets the lug nuts to near torque specs and further centers the wheel on the studs. I then lower the car and torque the lug nuts to spec with a torque wrench.

Whatever they're called they work fine for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Hog wash
Oh man, you caught me. With all the other hogwash in this thread I didn't think anyone would notice a wee bit more...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by fperra
They are not. They are lug centric.
not true. if you set the wheels up flush with the hubs, they will sit on the hub, not the lugs...geeze
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ac6
If this is true. that the ALL the corvette factory wheels are lug centric then:

The fact that the factory reproduction spyder wheels (balanced perfectly) are swimming (slightly exaggerated) on the hub before the lugs are tightened could not possibly cause wheel vibration at 65-70.

However, the factory base wheels NEVER vibrated at 65-70 and they were taken off and put back on several times and balanced perfectly on the same wheel balancing machine.

wtf
When the cars are built they install a locking washer on one lug to hold the discs on while the car is built. The factory wheel has a space on the back of each lug hole to accommodate this washer.

Some aftermarket wheels do not. Take this washer off your discs (you don't need it, the brake caliper holds the disc on) and your vibration will be gone.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:40 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts

There are OEM wheels that use tapered lug nuts on steel wheels and shouldered on alloy wheels. The wheels are lug centric and need a adaptor to balance them.
Toyota, Honda, Nissan, are all lug centric. Usually the people who balance the wheels will know this.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:23 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by wysokowski
There are OEM wheels that use tapered lug nuts on steel wheels and shouldered on alloy wheels. The wheels are lug centric and need a adaptor to balance them.
Toyota, Honda, Nissan, are all lug centric. Usually the people who balance the wheels will know this.
Don't know why you would resuscitate an 8 year old thread just to get it wrong. The OEM and winter rims on our Honda Fit are most definitely hub centric. The people who balance wheels told me that Japanese imports are usually hub centric.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 PM
SloJo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

All C4 Corvette wheels are hub-centric! https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/corvette/ You can check the other years here.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:28 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SloJo
All C4 Corvette wheels are hub-centric! https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/corvette/ You can check the other years here.
You certainly live up to your name.
The following users liked this post:
hawkgfr (09-25-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 PM
SloJo
Pro

Originally Posted by 919cw313
You certainly live up to your name.
Prove me wrong!
Old 10-18-2020, 05:50 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SloJo
Prove me wrong!
OK, here you go. C4, C5, C6 OEM wheels have a center bore (i.e.'hole') of 70.3 mm. Go to https://www.wheel-size.com and look it up if you don't believe it.
The flange on the wheel hub for those vettes has an OD of 70.10 tapering up to 70.61 mm, which is close my friend, but no cigar. See this article's diagram and dimensions: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10699 The fact that it isn't an interference fit makes them lug-centric by definition.
If you've ever taken the OEM wheel off of one of these vettes, you'd know that the wheels aren't hub-centric, because they pretty much fall right off when the last lug nut is removed. That wouldn't happen if they were hub centric because the close fit of the hub to the center bore would prevent that from happening. You can purchase adapter rings and wheel spacers which turn the mounting into hub-centric for OEM wheels, but shipped from the factory, the wheels are lug-centric. I'm pretty sure C7 wheels are also lug-centric, but I didn't research it.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by FatsWaller

The flange on the wheel hub for those vettes has an OD of 70.10 tapering up to 70.61 mm, which is close my friend, but no cigar. See this article's diagram and dimensions: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10699 The fact that it isn't an interference fit makes them lug-centric by definition.

If you've ever taken the OEM wheel off of one of these vettes, you'd know that the wheels aren't hub-centric, because they pretty much fall right off when the last lug nut is removed. That wouldn't happen if they were hub centric because the close fit of the hub to the center bore would prevent that from happening.
Bingo !

Exactly .....
Old 10-18-2020, 09:31 PM
SloJo
Pro

OK, here you go. C4, C5, C6 OEM wheels have a center bore (i.e.'hole') of 70.3 mm. Go to https://www.wheel-size.com and look it up if you don't believe it.
If you've ever taken the OEM wheel off of one of these vettes, you'd know that the wheels aren't hub-centric, because they pretty much fall right off when the last lug nut is removed. That wouldn't happen if they were hub centric because the close fit of the hub to the center bore would prevent that from happening. You can purchase adapter rings and wheel spacers which turn the mounting into hub-centric for OEM wheels, but shipped from the factory, the wheels are lug-centric. I'm pretty sure C7 wheels are also lug-centric, but I didn't research it.
So, tell me, what clearance between the wheel and the hub makes the wheel hub centric? If your hub tapers up to 70.61 your wheel isn't going to go on all the way. It will stop when it gets to 70.3xx. When you tighten down the lug nuts you're going to squish the aluminum wheel against the backing plate. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:05 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

I read the diagram incorrectly. My bad. There's no taper. So we still have the difference between 70.5 and 70.3. You know that the lugs couldn't be drawing the wheel down onto a larger taper because the wheel would get jammed solid on there and as I said the wheel pretty much falls off when you remove the lug nuts unlike a hub centric wheel. Our club has a tire shop as a sponsor and we sometimes meet there. The owner gave us a detailed explanation of how his balancing equipment operated and the specialized adapters needed to ensure that lug centric wheels such as were on the vettes were properly centered on the balancer because it couldn't be guaranteed that the center bore was exactly centered unlike if the wheel was actually hub centric. The 70.3 mm hub assists you in getting the wheel centered but that's it. The weight and generated torque is handled by the studs and friction against the hub. The taper on the lug nuts center the wheel.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 AM
SloJo
Pro

I read the diagram incorrectly. My bad. There's no taper. So we still have the difference between 70.5 and 70.3. You know that the lugs couldn't be drawing the wheel down onto a larger taper because the wheel would get jammed solid on there and as I said the wheel pretty much falls off when you remove the lug nuts unlike a hub centric wheel. Our club has a tire shop as a sponsor and we sometimes meet there. The owner gave us a detailed explanation of how his balancing equipment operated and the specialized adapters needed to ensure that lug centric wheels such as were on the vettes were properly centered on the balancer because it couldn't be guaranteed that the center bore was exactly centered unlike if the wheel was actually hub centric. The 70.3 mm hub assists you in getting the wheel centered but that's it. The weight and generated torque is handled by the studs and friction against the hub. The taper on the lug nuts center the wheel.
.2mm = 0.00787402 inches, that's a very small clearance between the wheel and the hub! If it was much closer you would have a hard time getting the wheel on the car. Everything I've
read says newer cars are all hub-centric and these cars being high-speed vehicles I would tend to believe they are hub-centric. I bought a set of Cray Manta wheels made by TSW and they said in there ad their wheels for Corvettes are hub-centric!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Are Cray Manta wheels OEM?

Last edited by FatsWaller; 10-19-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Are OEM wheels hubcentric?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:56 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

See post #28 here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...centric-2.html and argue your case with Chevy Customer Service

Last edited by FatsWaller; 10-19-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Post number was wrong
Old 10-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'm just wondering why this guy is arguing with a 10 year-old thread...
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM
SloJo
Pro

Are Cray Manta wheels OEM?
No they are not.

Quick Reply: Are OEM wheels hubcentric?