C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
... That so many of us get swayed to pay more for a color is interesting. You will find that on resale the extra cost you paid for a certain color does not matter. That money could have been better spent on options that may increase value and satisfaction for the car.
Simply put, I disagree with this statement. Color is a very important aspect of the impression that a vehicle makes. The paint up-charge may not be listed in NADA, but it does affect the market for the car. Most sellers will make a buyer aware that it is a premium paint. Most educated buyers know that before hand without you needing to tell them. A color that you admire can add as much value to the car in terms of personal satisfaction as any other option that you might choose IMO.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
These colors are also the hardest to match later on. Atomic Orange is extremely hard especially since they had different shades of it.

My wife's vehicle is an 09 GMC Yukon XL Denali with a White Diamond Tricoat. Looks fantastic but I've already been told I don't want to repaint a single area.
Should not be a problem for a capable body shop. I had all the black trim pulled off and painted to match on my wifes 09 White Diamond Acadia and it came out perfect. Couldn't understand GMC having a $53K vehicle that had black trim and of course 2 years later they do. Only good thing is I was 2-1/2 years ahead of the curve. GMC doesn't offer White Diamond on the big boy trucks so my new Sierra Denali HD came in White.

Last edited by saplumr; 08-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
Simply put, I disagree with this statement. Color is a very important aspect of the impression that a vehicle makes. The paint up-charge may not be listed in NADA, but it does affect the market for the car. Most sellers will make a buyer aware that it is a premium paint. Most educated buyers know that before hand without you needing to tell them. A color that you admire can add as much value to the car in terms of personal satisfaction as any other option that you might choose IMO.
I agree that color is important to a purchaser however on resale or trade you will not get any additional money because on color. I still say GM charges more simply because they can. Go buy a gallon of white paint from BASF or PPG which supplies GM. Go buy a gallon of crystal red metallic as well. Same price.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree that color is important to a purchaser however on resale or trade you will not get any additional money because on color. I still say GM charges more simply because they can. Go buy a gallon of white paint from BASF or PPG which supplies GM. Go buy a gallon of crystal red metallic as well. Same price.
You're right. Just as any other car options, you get little or no money back.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I agree with your response, however I don't agree with your philosophy. Supply and demand is a fact of life. The car makers lose money on some options and models (can you say SSR ?) and they make it up on others. Bottom line, you don't have to opt for the upgraded paint. I got the paint but skipped the NAV because they wanted to bone me. It was not worth $2K to me.

I also agree that you typically don't get your money back for fancy options at resale. But I prefer to select my options based on what I want, not resale.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Actually, they do in fact batch paint and you can see it anytime you enter the assembly plant (even on a public tour). As trucks are coming from the paint line out on to the final conveyer prior to inspection you will see sleds of the same color as far as the eye can see in groups and then a new group of colors will emerge. You can also see it in evidence on the line as groups of 10 or 11 of the same color in progression on the line.

Of course and I do agree that there is a price difference between the tint coat and conventional clear as well as the lower volume of course comes in to play but it is reflected in the form of a higher upcharge when compared to all of the other models using the same paint ($850 for Crystal Red on the Corvette as compared to $325 on the Camaro, Cruze and HHR for example.
Thanks for the good info Paul. Glad to hear the plant is in fact "batch painting" as that is the smart way and lowest cost way (less solvents/water used for color changes) but is a logisticts nightmare for some plants.

A funny thing though (funny to me anyway) is 10-11 Vettes coming down the line the same color vs an entire 8 hour production of the same color in some auto plants!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Thanks for the good info Paul. Glad to hear the plant is in fact "batch painting" as that is the smart way and lowest cost way (less solvents/water used for color changes) but is a logisticts nightmare for some plants.

A funny thing though (funny to me anyway) is 10-11 Vettes coming down the line the same color vs an entire 8 hour production of the same color in some auto plants!
Driven your Corvette to work yet Mike?

You're way past due for a visit down here.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree, The plant in Japan that supplied and finally is again supplying the German patented ingredient that provides the outstanding luster and sparkle to the paints supplied in turn to GM and other car companies, doesn't come cheap.

As far as resale value goes, red Vettes, especially Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat, sell quicker and for more than any other color. This doesn't mean all extra cost options increase resale value, i.e., manual transmission Vettes sell for more than those with extra cost torque converter automatic transmissions, but extra cost paint does make a difference in the real world.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

So can anybody actually say what the difference is between tint coat and standard clear coat?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Fred H.
So can anybody actually say what the difference is between tint coat and standard clear coat?
It varies from tint coat color to tint coat color. There are additives (colorants) put in each to affect the final (as viewed color) when applied over the color coat on the car.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I disagree, The plant in Japan that supplied and finally is again supplying the German patented ingredient that provides the outstanding luster and sparkle to the paints supplied in turn to GM and other car companies, doesn't come cheap.

As far as resale value goes, red Vettes, especially Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat, sell quicker and for more than any other color. This doesn't mean all extra cost options increase resale value, i.e., manual transmission Vettes sell for more than those with extra cost torque converter automatic transmissions, but extra cost paint does make a difference in the real world.
Facts don't bear that out. On trade or Kelly Blue Book paint color is not relevant. Thats just the way it is.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Facts don't bear that out. On trade or Kelly Blue Book paint color is not relevant. Thats just the way it is.
The way it is, is that Kelly Blue Book can't possibly take into account the effects of color on resale values, and therefore they don't even try because this info is not reported to them. Talk to the pros who attend and bid on used cars at auctions if you want the real lowdown.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
swglenn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree that you don't get your money back on a premium color I will say that when we started looking for our car my wife said she wanted the CRM. So I only looked for CRM's until we found one. The JSB was a distant second. We had a black car and didn't want another one although we still admire them. But that is why they paint them different colors, so you can choose the one you like.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

It may not matter to Kelly and gang, but if I was selling a factory LMB ZR1 or a Gold C5, I would get a hell of a lot more over Kellys numbers for it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laconiajack
The way it is, is that Kelly Blue Book can't possibly take into account the effects of color on resale values, and therefore they don't even try because this info is not reported to them. Talk to the pros who attend and bid on used cars at auctions if you want the real lowdown.
Perhaps you can let us in on your source then because 99% of the public don't have much contact with auction companies. My personal opinion is color doesn't make one bit of value difference. Everyone has a personal preference or there would be no reason for more than one color. Chevrolet sells more Black Corvettes than any other single color and it not even close plus it's not a extra cost pearl or metallic.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
It may not matter to Kelly and gang, but if I was selling a factory LMB ZR1 or a Gold C5, I would get a hell of a lot more over Kellys numbers for it.
Wishful thinking is where the general public stands but it's not a reality.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by saplumr
My personal opinion is color doesn't make one bit of value difference.
If someone is looking for a specific color, it makes a huge difference in not only the value, but how easy it is to sell.

I specifically went shopping for a used Atomic Orange convertible. I found a total of 3 for sale in the entire US. When I bought mine, I had to compete with another buyer for it.

While it may not make a difference in the KBB listing, it sure as heck makes a difference in how easy it is to sell and if you'll get your asking price or not. The fact is that some colors are just in demand more than others, and some colors are harder to find and bring more money as a result.

Get notified of new replies

To Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If someone is looking for a specific color, it makes a huge difference in not only the value, but how easy it is to sell.

I specifically went shopping for a used Atomic Orange convertible. I found a total of 3 for sale in the entire US. When I bought mine, I had to compete with another buyer for it.

While it may not make a difference in the KBB listing, it sure as heck makes a difference in how easy it is to sell and if you'll get your asking price or not. The fact is that some colors are just in demand more than others, and some colors are harder to find and bring more money as a result.
Am I wrong in thinking everyone is looking for a specific color? The limited colors are for a reason....nobody bought them. First model year vehicles are always in huge demand and you pay a premium right up front. Problem is down the road you lose a ton more money! You may be stuck on buying a certain color and pay more for it....but you better pay extra only because you want it. Thinking you're going to get your money back is a reality check in waiting!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

It's simple supply and demand. Go look for a used black C6 and see how many you find.

Value simply comes down to what someone will pay for any given item at any given time. Go talk to any Corvette dealer and ask them how long the waiting list is for a CRM or AO Corvette. The dealer in Dallas literally has folks waiting in line for one to show up.

If you don't believe it, go call any used Corvette dealer you like and see what they say.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's simple supply and demand. Go look for a used black C6 and see how many you find.

Value simply comes down to what someone will pay for any given item at any given time.
That is exactly right. There is/was no demand for that color thus limited availability. Just because you're willing to pay more for a color you want is simply your choice to get what you want. To think any color is worth more than another is no where near the reality for day to day consumers. Anything is only worth what you're willing to pay but cetrainly doesn't make it more valuable...it's strictly only valuable to YOU.

Quick Reply: Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?