C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Reminds me of something out of a J. C. Whitney catalog.
spot on
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of something out of a J. C. Whitney catalog.

Pretend performance brakes.

They would go well with some stick on fender vents to pretend you are venting engine compartment heat.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gibear2k5
Yea, you are right....yours does look good...best example I've seen so far.

Best looking application of these covers I've seen so far. Great looking Vette overall.

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
It's not just a "cover" for a "look" it's a faux big brake caliper. If they merely covered the stock caliper there would be far fewer haters.
I am not a fan of these covers but I am not a "hater" just because they don't appeal to me. Some like the example above, look damn good in their application.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Thoughtful gift and I think they look great.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Stock calipers are UGLY even if you paint them! Unless you have a Z06 or GS, the calipers are too small and look like crap!. That's my opinion of course. Sure you can spend 1000 plus dollars and get big brakes or do like me and spend a small amount of money and just put on covers. Some like them some don't! I have had mine on for years and no over heating of the brakes, less dust and they cover the ugly calipers! So for me, I like them. As for the haters, look under your hood, many of you have "covers" on your fuel rails, and many other parts that are ugly from the factory. what's the difference??? Give me a "brake" no pun intended..., they are nothing but covers to cover an ugly stock part!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I think my calipers are pretty.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally this is not a mod that I would consider. IMHO, they look cheap and out of place.

Much like the fake magnetic vents you can but at Autozone.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I think my calipers are pretty.
Me too.....the thing that really kills it,for me at least,on those caliper covers is the cheeeeeesy fake pins.

They also make a whistle you can stick in your tailpipe to make the car sound like a turbo. These things fall in the same category.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Caliper covers--->
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess all in all, to each their own. There are many out there who wonder why we buy Corvettes instead of (insert car here - or anything else you can spend your money on). As I stated before, I personally don't like them. But if someone else wants them, so be it.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good to me. I think I will order a set, To each his own, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder or some cr*p like that.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Hey guys. Ben from MGP here.

We are currently completing software that will record real time data using thermal couplers mounted directly to the factory calipers. One side will have the caliper covers mounted, the other side will be in stock form. We will be shooting a video to show the temperature differences and do our best to leave no room for debate.

FYI, MGP Caliper Covers had to go through a battery of tests by Ford and GM in order to be granted our manufacturing licenses. The series of tests includes a heat test, salt spray test, track testing, and a few other tests that I personally thought was overboard.

In the near future, MGP will be manufacturing caliper covers for another major motor company which I cannot name at this point. They will be part of a certain package for a certain car, right off the lot. Their engineers also thought that the cover would increase caliper heat, and proved themselves wrong. (They did not like to admit it, but in the end they did.)

We understand the misconceptions, and it is our hopes that we can put the myth to bed when we release the data and video.

Have a great day.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Can't wait to see the empirical data. Please be sure to measure the actual caliper and not the cover itself when conducting the test.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Delbert
I read an article in the latest issue of Auto Enthusiast magazine this month on the MGP Caliper Covers.

http://www.calipercovers.com/

I wanted to ask if any of you have had any experience with these. Basically, what is your thoughts on the appearance of these covers and are they worth acquiring?

The article I read seemed to indicate they were a worthwhile investment in the appearance of your car!
invest 20 bucks in caliper paint and elbow grease and just paint the calipers. Not sure why you would consider ghetto stuff like this on a vette?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BenMGP
Hey guys. Ben from MGP here.

We are currently completing software that will record real time data using thermal couplers mounted directly to the factory calipers. One side will have the caliper covers mounted, the other side will be in stock form. We will be shooting a video to show the temperature differences and do our best to leave no room for debate.

FYI, MGP Caliper Covers had to go through a battery of tests by Ford and GM in order to be granted our manufacturing licenses. The series of tests includes a heat test, salt spray test, track testing, and a few other tests that I personally thought was overboard.

In the near future, MGP will be manufacturing caliper covers for another major motor company which I cannot name at this point. They will be part of a certain package for a certain car, right off the lot. Their engineers also thought that the cover would increase caliper heat, and proved themselves wrong. (They did not like to admit it, but in the end they did.)

We understand the misconceptions, and it is our hopes that we can put the myth to bed when we release the data and video.

Have a great day.
makes you wonder what tests do the t-shirts and caps with authorized GM and Ford logos have to go through? Last time I checked, GM and Ford marketing and accounting depts were handling all the testing...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Originally Posted by petermj
makes you wonder what tests do the t-shirts and caps with authorized GM and Ford logos have to go through? Last time I checked, the marketing and accounting depts were handling all the testing...
Those items are not attached to the vehicle. Anything attached to the vehicle has to be tested. Wearing a Corvette shirt would not void your warranty.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

ghey

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Covers

Old 08-17-2011, 03:30 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BenMGP
Those items are not attached to the vehicle. Anything attached to the vehicle has to be tested. Wearing a Corvette shirt would not void your warranty.
does this include floor mats? Common sense dictates GM makes sure they do not install anything that may cause problems for them but in the end, this is not any different than GS cars with GM cashing in on demand. Apparently there is one for brake caliper covers...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM
BenMGP
Cruising

Originally Posted by petermj
does this include floor mats? Common sense dictates GM makes sure they do not install anything that may cause problems for them but in the end, this is not any different than GS cars with GM cashing in on demand. Apparently there is one for brake caliper covers...
I doubt floor mats would need to be tested. It isn't mounted to a mechanical part on the vehicle. I really would not know that side of the licensing procedures.

Most of the apparel, key chains, license plate frames get licensing from a 3rd party. Not directly from the OE.

Certain products such as ours must pass engineering before a license is granted. Our licenses were granted directly from Ford and GM rather than a third party that handles the type of items I mentioned.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still do not understand all of the hate about these. Why is this different than some of the wild wheels available? No one calls them ghetto wheels? We have choices in this country and should appreciate that we do. I like the covers, I like Alcantara, I like forced induction, and probably some other things that some segment of the forum hates.
Larry

Quick Reply: Caliper Covers