C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 roof recall........

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 2005 roof recall........

I just read in one of the posts here that there was a recall on the 2005 roofs. What was the recall about? I just bought my 2005 about a month ago and I was just wondering about it. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the roof skin would delaminate and fly off your car.. i believe they had a recall on them, so my guess yours was probably already fixed..
Old 11-24-2011, 03:51 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a dealer run your VIN to ensure the recall was performed. Initially, GM issued a Technical Sevice Bulletin to deal with the issue if customers brought in their cars. Totally up to the owner if they felt there was a problem, and went into the dealer on their own.

Then, when the TSB repairs were found not to work properly, GM eventually issued a full recall. The process took quite a while to do, and IIRC, it was only recently (this summer?) completed - that means GM sent out all of the notices, not necessarily that all cars have been completed.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:52 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Bought my '05 in May 2010, took it to the dealer for fluid changes and they told me there were 3 outstanding recalls, one was for the roof, they took care of everything else and ordered a new roof, had to be painted by a local body shop but they did a good job, everything took about a month and went fine, good luck with the new car, I'm sure you'll LOVE it!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

My 2005 base, and 2006 ZO6 was part of the recall also. The 2005 roof was foamed. The ZO6 was painted and replaced since it was in the process of delaminating.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Bought my '05 in May 2010, took it to the dealer for fluid changes and they told me there were 3 outstanding recalls, one was for the roof, they took care of everything else and ordered a new roof, had to be painted by a local body shop but they did a good job, everything took about a month and went fine, good luck with the new car, I'm sure you'll LOVE it!
This is what I was wondering.......I have noticed since I have had the car that the roof had very small pits in the paint throughout the roof. You have to look very hard for it, but in just the right light and at the right angle, you can see it. The paint definitely looks differently than the rest of the car. It matches exactly. The gloss is the same. And the average person could never see it. But at night, when I am in my garage waxing it, I have always noticed these very small pits all over the roof. So that is probably what it is from. Thanks, a lot. I appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The potential roof delamination problem affected more than just the 2005 model and there may have been two roof 'recalls.' I've had 2 roof panels replaced on my 2005 but the first was probably done under a customer satisfaction program...the full-blown recall followed a bit later.

If you need information about TSB's or safety recalls check out this website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The potential roof delamination problem affected more than just the 2005 model and there may have been two roof 'recalls.' I've had 2 roof panels replaced on my 2005 but the first was probably done under a customer satisfaction program...the full-blown recall followed a bit later.

Great website, thanks! And a hundred forty something TSB's for my '05, I'll be busy for awhile...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,113 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
I just read in one of the posts here that there was a recall on the 2005 roofs. What was the recall about? I just bought my 2005 about a month ago and I was just wondering about it. Thanks.
GM got the bright idea to make the roof panel skins from polycarbonate plastic starting with the C6 gen which was MY2005. It was discovered a year or more later that with time/heat/humidity that the glue adhesive attaching the plastic skin to the underlying metal roof structure would let loose where the glue attaches to the plastic. Some roofs actually flew off at highway speed causing a potential safety hazard for motorists following the unlucky vette. The glue had no problem sticking to the metal. GM eventually fixed the problem after the MY2007 production had already started by switching back to the time tested SMC plastic for production after about 9-1-06 and recalling the previous Z06s and painted roof coupes to replace the roof with SMC plastic. The replacement roofs were painted by the dealerships hence why the paint quality may be lacking.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,113 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

At first if the separation was limited, GM tried to have the roofs foamed with more adhesive. With time, that proved to be a failure as well proving the only reliable fix was a complete replacement to SMC. My 06Z was refoamed under the safety recall but it still failed several years later requiring the new roof panel.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 roof recall........

Quick Reply: 2005 roof recall........